Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > VB Developer, thinking of moving to Mac

VB Developer, thinking of moving to Mac
JonDrover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2006, 10:20 AM

Hey all,

Now that Macs can do windows I'm considering jumping ship. I always wanted a mac but couldn't make the switch because I needed to run Visual Studio and MSAccess. Is there anyone else out there in this situation that can convince me that I CAN buy a MacBook Pro and have the best of both worlds, or will I just be pulling my hair out in frustration?

Cheers,
Jon_

Commodus
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2006, 01:16 PM

You should be fine, but I'd strongly recommend getting Parallels Desktop instead of dual-booting unless you know your VB apps aren't likely to work in a virtual environment. After all, you get the Mac for the OS - you might as well give yourself as many reasons to stay in OS X as possible. So long as you can get the documents out to others, you'll be fine.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2006, 02:42 PM

I write commercial software using VS 2005 under Parallels. Works great - you do need lots of RAM thought

JonDrover  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2006, 03:15 PM

That's what I wanted to here. I'm thinking about the 17" MacBook Pro with 2GB RAM. Shold be enough RAM I guess...

Cheers,
Jon_

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2006, 04:04 PM

I'd go with 3GB since you're probably going to be running Parallels full time.

Unless the apps you develop are graphics-intensive (which it doesn't sound like they are), the performance in Parallels will be about the same as running on bare metal.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I'd go with 3GB since you're probably going to be running Parallels full time.

Unless the apps you develop are graphics-intensive (which it doesn't sound like they are), the performance in Parallels will be about the same as running on bare metal.
I agree 100%. Make the switch. You will never regret it. Parallels should work just fine for you. As mduell suggested, go with 3GB or RAM. You will want to give your VM a minimum of 1GB if you are doing development in Visual Studio. Enjoy your new MBP!!!

sray
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2006, 04:41 PM

2GB or 3GB will work well with Parallels. The C# .Net product manager in our company uses a 15" MBP (with Visual Studio running in Parallels). It is typically hooked up to an external 20" LCD so that he can view his Mac software on the open laptop display and his development environment on the 20" (with Parallels running in full screen mode)

JonDrover  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2006, 11:57 PM

Thanks guys, I'm going to put the order in tomorrow. I think I'll try 2GB to start and upgrade if needed.

Cheers,
Jon_

Forum Links
Forum Rules