Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Symantec Multi Tier Protection - Mac client?

Symantec Multi Tier Protection - Mac client?
kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2008, 04:12 AM

Anyone have a Symantec Multi Tier Protection license at the office covering macs? What client are you running? Seems they still exptect people (well us at least) to use 10.X while their own pages state that it is both "end of life", "not recomended for Intel macs" and "not fully compatible with leopard".

Maby the problem is with our sales rep and others actually get a working client?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2008, 07:32 AM

If you do a search here, you'll see a disdain for symantec products. People complain that they're slow, buggy and affect system stability. Since I don't use it, I can neither confirm or deny it. All I can say is that people don't care for their mac products.

kamina  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2008, 08:40 AM

Yeah, I don't get it. This product used to work ok with ppc macs a few years ago. For some reason it still has not been updated to work properly with intel macs. They do have Norton 11, but that is not intended to be used by corporate users. So people disable their AV on their macs..

kamina  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2008, 12:08 PM

Just in case somebody has the same problem we did...

We where using Symantec AV for mac 10.1.x and it is not a native application. Symantec AV for mac 10.2.x is actually a rebranded Norton 11 and a native app. For some reason it was not showing up for us. After several days of wondering what's wrong we got it, and the performance increase is significant. The biggest increase seems to come to users with filevault enabled.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 7, 2008, 08:11 PM

I'm looking forward to my school finally coming up with this for us. The whole 10.1.x issue has been a thorn in my side for quite some time, especially since it won't work for automatic updates. I think I need to poke at our support people again to see what's up.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules