Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 166)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2010, 04:41 PM

No vey! GT5 dated for Nov 2 2010. 3D included.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 05:03 PM

Finally.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Until you factor in that you need a PS Eye and navigation controller, so it's really more than $50.
$50 is the same price as any other controller. Plus it will come with the camera, controller and game for $99.

Who here you know buys a wii and doesn't at least get another controller and nunchuck? Since is it a multiplayer system you have at least 2 sets. So the Wii isn't "Really" the $179 (or whatever) you pay for it either.

Oh and lets think about how much you have to spend on rechargeable batteries for the Wii controllers as well while the PS3 has it built in.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 05:30 PM

Oh wow, there's a $99 bundle? Nevermind then.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
No vey! GT5 dated for Nov 2 2010. 3D included.
I give them 6 weeks until they decide to push back the date again.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 12:08 AM

Haven't watched the keynotes yet. Impressions so far...

Microsoft: meh

Nintendo:
-I want to see the 3ds screen
- they announced movie support from Disney, dreamworks, and I wouldn't mind watching a movie in 3d without the glasses.
-2 cameras to take 3d pictures..... Very very cool.
-kinda disappointed with the design, looks clunky like the original ds.
-need to see some games, but the movie and pictures aspects alone seem cool.
-Zelda. Looks ok I guess, i like the stye..kindof a mix between windwaker and twilight princess, which ends up looking like an old school saturday morning cartoon. The environments look to static tho.
-metroid other m. meh.
-Epic Mickey.... impressed

Sony:
-move. I'm not buying something that looks like that... Just a tad too weird
-where is team ico dagnamit?!?!?

Also this wireless interference thing is kinda peculiar, never happened before, and this year it happened at the google io, wwdc and now e3. Strange.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jun 16, 2010 at 03:00 AM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Haven't watched the keynotes yet. Impressions so far...

-Epic Mickey.... impressed
Agreed, but I am impressed you didn't even mention DK & Kirby upcoming games.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2010, 08:40 AM

Kirby's Epic Thread. The only epic threads happen on NN.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Agreed, but I am impressed you didn't even mention DK & Kirby upcoming games.
Haven't played any games in those series actually. Not really all that interested in either.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Haven't played any games in those series actually. Not really all that interested in either.
How did you miss out on Donkey Kong Country? That was a great game.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2010, 10:17 AM

Wednesday News

Full list of PlayStation Move titles surfaces | Joystiq
Looks way better than what I recall of Kinect's stuff.

PlayStation Move coming in September starting at $50
The controller and its various components can be purchased in several ways, with a few different bundles being offered by Sony. The controller itself will cost $49.99, while the subcontroller will be $29.99. You can also purchase one controller packed with a PlayStation Eye camera and a copy of Sports Champions for $99.99. For those without a PS3, that same bundle can be purchased alongside a PS3 Slim for $399.99.
From what I've read this can get even pricier than the Wii for multiple players, even without factoring the system cost.

PlayStation Move 'shooting attachment' is groovy | Joystiq
Let the marketing of additional plastic crap for your motion controllers begin!

GoldenEye For Wii Is A Remake With Some Asterisks
It is a first-person shooter, based on the fiction of the 1995 Pierce Brosnan movie. But the story of that movie has been changed. GoldenEye is now the adventure of the Daniel Craig version of James Bond and plays up an international banking crisis angle rather than a Cold War problem. Both games, however, send the player, as Bond, around the world to locations important to fans of movie and games: A dam, a statue park, the streets of St. Petersburg, where a chase involving a military tank will occur.
WTF

'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D' coming to Nintendo 3DS [update] | Joystiq

Street Fighter IV Punching Above Its Weight On The 3DS
One advantage of the 3DS having similar horsepower but a smaller screen than the Wii is that you can get away with porting stuff you couldn't otherwise on the home console. Like Street Fighter IV.
That's a somewhat amusing notion.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Eyes-On Impressions: Hot Fuzz
There won't be the kinds of pursuit breakers or speed breaker moments in past iterations of the series, for the obvious difficulty of having one player proceed in bullet-time and the other in real time. Each player instead gets three special-use items that affect their foe in a similar way. Cops, for example, have an EMP burst that scrambles the player's HUD; racers have a radar jammer that does the same to a cop, and can have a good effect if the racer is well in the lead. Cops can call in a roadblock ahead; racers can call in a decoy. Finally, cops can bring in a helicopter to drop a spike strip (cops also can deploy a spike strip if they're in front of a racer). Racers have an "overdrive," which Webster said is the fastest anyone has ever run in Need for Speed.
While this sounds ok, it also seems like the final game might be disappointing to those looking for another Burnout: Paradise.
(Speaking of which I could go for a meet-up)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 10:28 AM

NFS sounds like something inbetween NFS Most Wanted (police) and Midnight Club (EMP power ups) .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2010, 11:28 AM

Firefight mode for Halo Reach confirmed

The most noticeable addition is that Reach's Firefight mode will add matchmaking. Which may not sound like much, but it means that you don't have to round up a group of friends to fight wave after wave of Covenants in the awesomely fun co-op mode, but rather can search for others players to join whenever you want.

Players will now be able to create their own "skulls" (or match conditions) for greater variation and challenge. For example, you can set it so the enemies are impervious to headshots, or so all the Spartans will have lower health; add weapon loadouts; set traits for the waves, such as which types of enemies you'll face or how aggressively they act, and so on. You'll also be able to save your ideal settings and share them online.

There will also be new specific Firefight modes available, such as the rocket launcher-only Rocketfight mode. Bungie have also confirmed that after trying out Generator Defense in the beta that it will be in the retail game when it's released.

Finally, it's been announced that Reach will include a new class: the Medic, which will have a Dropshield ability (a precursor to Halo 3's Bubble Shield).
Awesome

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 11:33 AM

Will the Kinect only, er, connect to the new 'Alienware' 360, or all 360s?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2010, 11:33 AM

All 360s; An external power adaptor will be required for the older models.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2010, 11:43 AM

Gears of War 3 Demo at E3

Ever seen someone get beat down with their own arm? LOL!

Pretty entertaining vid.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 11:47 AM

Anyone know if there's any news on 'The Last Guardian' ? that was #1 on my anticipated list for this years E3.

jokell82, i had a Genesis back then , so missed out on that library. And now, i dont have the time or motivation to play those games.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
As long as it isn't laggy. Maybe I had players from the other end of the coutry or something, but I played one game of 4 and it was laggier than molasses.

The other thing I didn't care for in firefight is how the lives are divied up. You get the same number of lives no matter how many players you have. You're almost best to have only 2-3 players rather than 3-4.

But the addition of matchmaking will definitely make the Halo community happy. That was the #1 thing they wanted.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 12:11 PM

All 360s; An external power adaptor will be required for the older models.
I assumed that, but it's good to know, as I already have a second Xbox 360, I don't want a third.

I guess I could sell the second one, though, and get the brand new "whisper quiet" Kinect one.

I guess you can't use an existing hard drive on the new one? Can you copy the content of one hard drive to the other? I remember doing this for the old one when I moved from a 20GB to a 120GB.
MacBook Pro

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2010, 12:17 PM

For an extra $20 you can buy a cable to let you transfer data from one to the other

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
For an extra $20 you can buy a cable to let you transfer data from one to the other
Once a year

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 02:45 PM

Is it the same transfer cable you currently get with a hard drive?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Simple solution is to buy the cable.. transfer the contents the once you'll ever need to do it... and then return the damn cable.

I did that with the PS2 memory card reader. No fuss no muss.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Simple solution is to buy the cable.. transfer the contents the once you'll ever need to do it... and then return the damn cable.
Actually, as well as copying the contents, you'll have to transfer the license for DLC - DLC is tied to a machine apparently. I did this with my replacement Xbox 360. You have to go to Manage Account and "redownload" everything one at a time which is tedious. It would be nice if you could just select everything you want and "redownload" it. The "redownload" takes about 3 seconds for each item as it doesn't download anything.

I have the cable, as I had an Xbox 360 with a 20GB HD and moved up to a 120GB.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 09:23 PM

Fable III looks interesting. Looks like you are the brother of the King and you go on adventures to improve your kingdom and eventually overthrow your brother - your brother is an evil king.
MacBook Pro

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2010, 09:38 PM

I really want the new 360, WiFi is compelling.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2010, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Fable III looks interesting. Looks like you are the brother of the King and you go on adventures to improve your kingdom and eventually overthrow your brother - your brother is an evil king.
I guess there's no point in playing the game now.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2010, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I really want the new 360, WiFi is compelling.
I will probably be getting it by the holidays. I need an updated 360. But I have the newer wifi adapter on my current 360, I guess I won't need anymore.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 17, 2010, 09:59 AM

Thursday News: Shouldn't we be hearing from NPD soon? Edition

3DS specs revealed (specifications, not spectacles) | Joystiq

Rumor: 3DS Allows Game Installs?
According to the paper's report, "multiple games" can be installed off their original cart, meaning users could stock up on a few titles and take them on the road without needing to swap cartridges.
DS users, is this a big deal to you?

Move Navigation Controller can be replaced by DualShock | Joystiq
Don't feel like paying the $30 asking price for a PlayStation Move Navigation Controller? There is a cheaper (albeit less comfortable) solution: just use the DualShock controller. At an E3 presentation about the Move, Anton Mikhailov confirmed that the two controllers are interchangeable.
Kudos to Sony on that one.

Xbox 360 slim 17% smaller than original, incapable of RROD-ing | Joystiq

According to these specs, the "new S console" is about 17% smaller than the original and also physically incapable of getting the red ring of death. No, that doesn't mean the console won't break -- instead, the Xbox 360 slim lacks a red "ring of light." If your console runs into some fatal error, expect it to flash green.
I guess two names for the RRoD wasn't enough.

Amazon Prices Kinect At $149
Better hope those bundles are competitive. (That said, it would be unfair not to note that $150 gets you full support on all Kinect games up to 4(?) people. Imagine how much that costs with the Wii or Move)

Mario's Creator On The Mystery Of Women (And Cats)

Also, both get angry when I try to have sex with them.

Edit: Forgot this one...

Nintendo Might Go 3D With Next Console
I was going to make this prediction after their E3 presentation featuring the 3DS, but then I thought about it. Why is the Wii SD? Because HDTVs just didn't have the market penetration they wanted (true but perhaps just an excuse to make a cheaper underpowered console?). They avoided discs, put off online multiplayer, and continue to shun basic stuff like the ability to play DVDs.

To but it briefly, if this happens my mind will be blown; it is the antithesis of Nintendo's strategy thus far.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Jun 17, 2010 at 11:13 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 17, 2010, 11:04 AM

I forgot to mention, I watched the trailer for the new GoldenEye... and its ironic that a remake (more like reimagining) of the game including a graphics update looks like it use a graphics update itself. It was jaggy city. It felt like I was looking at game screens from a portable. (The cinematics looked slightly better, but still)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 17, 2010, 11:20 AM

PlayStation Move Isn't Much More than a Wii HD
Kind of scathing (with exception to the end).

Nintendo Scopes Out the Competition
So here I am, playing some Kinect, and Jason, who's photographing me, spots someone in the background. You spot him? No? OK. ENHAAANNNCCEEEE!!!!

Edit:
Gran Turismo 5 cars split into Premium and Standard detail
The game will feature over 1,000 cars, split into two categories. The Standard cars will be made up of vehicles from the past games, and will have a lower level of detail. There will be around 200 cars in the Premium category, with deformable panels, fully modeled interiors, and fully modeled undercarriages for when the cars flip during a race.

ah-HA!
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Jun 17, 2010 at 11:31 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2010, 11:46 AM

My god, Konami...

The WTF Video of E3 2010

Fast-forward to around 4:05

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2010, 11:49 AM

PlayStation Move Isn't Much More than a Wii HD
Kind of scathing (with exception to the end).
Didn't expect much out of it. At least you don't have to be standing, I guess...

He looks skeptical. Me too, Mr. Mario...me too..

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 17, 2010, 11:52 AM

Too good to comment on your precious GT5?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2010, 12:18 PM

[b]
Nintendo Might Go 3D With Next Console Why is the Wii SD? Because HDTVs just didn't have the market penetration they wanted (true but perhaps just an excuse to make a cheaper underpowered console?). They avoided discs, put off online multiplayer, and continue to shun basic stuff like the ability to play DVDs.
Here are the reasons
1) They are cheap 2) They are lazy 3) They are cheap and lazy.

1 year after the Wii came out it was reviled that about 70% of ALL wii users had it connected to an HDTV.

They avoided disks because they were worried about piracy. Even when they did move to disks with the gamecube they made them tiny and proprietary ( at the cost of half the storage space of a DVD) just in the hopes of making them harder to copy.

Multiplayer? Too much work for them and they think it is just going to be pedophiles talking to their young gamers. Oh and like Nintendo said "people don't want to play games online".

As for DVD playback, all the hardware is there and you can hack the Wii to play DVDs. So why doesn't it out of the box? Because Nintendo would have to pay a $5 licence to the DVD board for every wii. Why give away $5 when you can keep that for yourself and people still buy the system every time a new colour or add on peripheral comes out?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 17, 2010, 12:20 PM

I immediately regret posting that article.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
Too good to comment on your precious GT5?
Me? I've always preferred Forza to GT. I won't be buying GT5 anyways...

Obviously, I did appreciate the Costanza pic/caption.

inFamous 2 trailer

I'm really worried about inFamous 2. The first game is definitely one of my top 3 current-gen games. But now they've turned Cole into a douche (IGN's words), changed the voice actor, and possibly eliminated the comic-style cut scenes (which I actually enjoyed).
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Jun 17, 2010 at 12:30 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2010, 12:25 PM

I feel a post-E3 impressions post coming on...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Me? I've always preferred Forza to GT. I won't be buying GT5 anyways...

Obviously, I did appreciate the Costanza pic/caption.

inFamous 2 trailer

I'm really worried about inFamous 2. The first game is definitely one of my top 3 current-gen games. But now they've turned Cole into a douche (IGN's words), changed the voice actor, and possibly eliminated the comic-style cut scenes (which I actually enjoyed).
Kotaku wrote that they "had" to change the look of Cole. Any idea why?

I also loved the first one, and assumed this one had a new lead character when I saw the trailer.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2010, 01:10 PM

I immediately regret posting that article.
I didn't even read it if that makes you feel better.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 17, 2010, 01:15 PM

Not reading shit you've posted 100x before would have made me feel better.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Kotaku wrote that they "had" to change the look of Cole. Any idea why?

I also loved the first one, and assumed this one had a new lead character when I saw the trailer.
Absolutely no idea. Hopefully time will explain.

The gameplay and atmosphere was so good with the first game, so I trust Sucker Punch, but I was definitely leery from the moment I saw new Cole. I'm definitely glad about the game being set in a New Orleans-type city though.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 17, 2010, 03:24 PM

Alright, last news post of the day, I swear...

Preview: Gears of War 3's Beast mode | Joystiq
Beast mode in Gears of War 3 is best described as "inverse Horde." It has you playing as the Locust while you go after waves of CPU-controlled human enemies, who pack Lancers, auto-turrets and even the Hammer of Dawn. As you progress through each wave, the humans become tougher -- both through their tactics and arsenal of weaponry at their disposal, not to mention the ticking of the clock menacingly counting down to zero in the background throughout each wave. And after my time playing this new mode, it's a brilliant fit for Gears of War.
Gears of War 3

Beast runs on a currency system -- the points you get for killing enemies and assisting your teammates is effectively what you use to buy different Locust units to play as. In the beginning, you only have access to Tickers and Wretches, but as the waves progress and you earn more, you can spawn as Grenadiers or Berserkers or even the Armored Kantus.
Sounds worth a try.

Xbox Kinect Does Not Play Well With Couch Potatoes
One developer with whom I spoke and who is familiar with how Microsoft is briefing studios making games for Kinect said the company has specifically advised developers to not make games that would involve the player's sitting down.

I asked one of the two members of Forza development studio Turn 10 if I could play their demo sitting down. They said I could not, that it was "optimized for standing."

The thought that prompted me to start asking the "sitting question" to so many Kinect-connected game developers and executives at E3 was that the Kinect's sensor can't clearly read a human skeleton if a person is seated. Some developers with whom I was theorizing about this guessed that the Kinect would become confused by the bent knees of a seated gamer — that it would need a player to always return to a resting position that has all their joints on one flat plane, which is the case when you are standing, not when you are sitting. No Kinect developer could or would get that specific with me, so I'm left to guess.
Makes sense... what's the point of immersive motion control if you can just sit on your couch and waggle your wrists like you're playing the Wii.
That said, exactly why I don't envision many people bothering with this crap.

Cross-Section Of A Castlevania Castle

Pretty cool, I thought.

And finally...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2010, 03:29 PM

That was something I was going to mention about Kinect later tonight: the no-sitting issue. They said it's possibly not even going to let you to navigate menus while sitting. Are you freaking kidding me?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2010, 03:50 PM

Not reading shit you've posted 100x before would have made me feel better.
Then don't always bring up the same questions

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
That was something I was going to mention about Kinect later tonight: the no-sitting issue. They said it's possibly not even going to let you to navigate menus while sitting. Are you freaking kidding me?
That can't be true. How is standing in a car simulator natural? As long as it can see your feet for the gas it will be fine.

Just hope everyone has a gameroom with lots of floor room incase.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 17, 2010, 03:54 PM

It gets better, so far the standing car simulator controls the acceleration and braking for you. So it doesn't even need to see your lower body.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2010, 04:17 PM

It gets better, so far the standing car simulator controls the acceleration and braking for you. So it doesn't even need to see your lower body.
E3 2010: You WILL Be Able to Sit with Kinect - Xbox 360 News at IGN

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
Beast runs on a currency system -- the points you get for killing enemies and assisting your teammates is effectively what you use to buy different Locust units to play as. In the beginning, you only have access to Tickers and Wretches, but as the waves progress and you earn more, you can spawn as Grenadiers or Berserkers or even the Armored Kantus.
Sounds a lot like the Half Life mod called Natural Selection (video game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 17, 2010, 04:24 PM

Nothing new there. Several devs in the article I posted claimed they were "calibrating for it".

Doesn't mean it'll work well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules