Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Filing a MBP, thoughts?

Filing a MBP, thoughts?
downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 10, 2010, 01:27 AM

K, because I've read books, I tend to value products that, if they are constantly being used with parts of the human body, they are designed to work with it harmoniously. Yes, I love minimalistic, modern design as well, but the lines get drawn when it comes to seating, keyboards, mice, and other things that bodies must endure for extended periods. So this brings us to apple.

Apple has a history of releasing innovative products, but it seems like sometimes their "innovation" is clearly just a case of trying to differentiate themselves, then let the fanboys blindly defend their stupid decisions. The most notable example would be the "puck" mouse. Apart from having only a SLIGHT concave area to distinguish which way the mouse was facing, it was also extremely small, and perfectly round. Apple's previous mice were shaped with gentle arcs that closely mimicked the human hand (although unfortunately they were symmetrical.... I've never met someone with symmetrical hands), but they threw all that out to be "radical" and "new". They also threw away any shred of comfort and years of research on human factors. Now, some of you might immediately disagree with me, but... until you read books... I assure you that the human body is very adept at adapting to horrible designs. Hell, so is the human brain. Look at all the people that defended GM products from 1975-2005. They can convince themselves of almost anything. Anyway, I'm digressing.

The most recent experience I've had with a huge apple mistake, related to the human body, is the macbook pro. The front edge is completely unnecessarily sharp. Does this increase strength? No. This edge was put there purely so that when the laptop is closed, you get a nice, tight shadow and highlight between the screen and the body. The ironic thing is that the screen has a nice bevel or chamfer around it (20-30 degrees), while the part that is near your wrists has NONE WHATSOEVER.

If that wasn't bad enough, they machined the small recessed area with what looks like a ball nosed milling tool, and completely forgot to sand the points. When I had my original 13" mbp, the one that got stolen, I lightly sanded this edge and this points down with some 400, then 600, 800, and 1200 grit. It helped a lot.

Today, I found this, and discovered I'm not alone:

YouTube - Tutorial: How to File the Edge off a MacBook Pro

Thoughts?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2010, 02:02 AM

I personally have never had a problem with the front edge. I mean, I notice it occasionally, but that is about it.

I can't imagine why anyone would ever have their arms/wrists resting on the sharp edges of the recess you refer to.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Sep 10, 2010, 02:14 AM

Nobody does, constantly. But it's that occasional brush against it that is so obnoxious. There are no reasons for it to be uncomfortable in the first place. Yes, you are not supposed to type with your arms resting along that edge. TRUE. But when moving around, or stretching, or even during switching your hand from the KB to trackpad, you can encounter those edges and points.... which have no reason being there whatsoever.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2010, 02:18 AM

Buy some sweatbands and start a new fashion fad.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2010, 02:20 AM

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2010, 02:31 AM

I don't see why a few accidental brushes against a somewhat sharp surface makes it worth shaving down the edges of a <$1000 device.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2010, 04:20 AM

I'd say if it bothers you, do it. You clearly have the skill and knowledge of the process and materials to do as good a job as possible, so why not? It would likely decrease it's value on the second-hand market, and may void a warranty if it's got one (no good reason why it should, but you know Apple), but if it makes your life better, why not? Go for it and post the results- I'd be curious to see how it comes out.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2010, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Apple's previous mice were shaped with gentle arcs that closely mimicked the human hand (although unfortunately they were symmetrical.... I've never met someone with symmetrical hands),
Not for the first ten years, kid:

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Sep 10, 2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Not for the first ten years, kid:

Yeah, this one. Gentle arcs.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2010, 09:41 AM

Yep. That was after about ten years.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2010, 11:19 AM

If you want to file your MacBook, file your MacBook. No need to go on a rant about it.

P
Sep 10, 2010, 12:40 PM

Yep. That was after about ten years.
And did people ever bitch about it. The previous mouse was held like a racecar, and you can't hold the egg mouse like that - you have to rest your hand on it.

As for symmetry: It had to be that way, because Apple was pushing people to mouse with their left (or their off hand, anyway) for the longest time. Since they must have realised that noone did, the mouse had to be symmetrical.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

anthonyterrell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2010, 12:49 PM

I don't think I would ever take a woodworking tool to a piece of electronic equipment. Especially one over $1000, but hey if you really hate it by all means.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2010, 01:01 PM

Pray for Gillette to not enter the laptop market

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
As for symmetry: It had to be that way, because Apple was pushing people to mouse with their left (or their off hand, anyway) for the longest time.
Really? I've *never* seen this.

And the Macintosh Tour from the 80s/90s always had a right hand operating the mouse.

Also, the mouse cursor points from lower right - which is where the mouse is.

Edit: Just checked the original 30-page Newsweek supplement from January 1984, introducing Macintosh. There is one photograph of a left hand touching the mouse, and one of a lefty sitting at a desk. The other thirty or so shots all show the mouse at the right.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Sep 10, 2010 at 01:36 PM. )

P
Sep 10, 2010, 03:37 PM

The first Mac I spent any time with was a 512K, but the first one we owned was the Mac SE - with a thick manual with ring bidning, so it would stay open flat on the table when you left it. I distinctly remember the manual instructing you to put the mouse on the left, but with a special note that it could be put on the right for left handers.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2010, 03:54 PM

I still have an SE (though an FDHD model, not the 2nd-series one I started out with) with complete original packaging and manuals. I might remember to check sometime in the next few weeks when I get back to the storage.

deckard97
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2010, 04:49 PM

Heck even my MBP 15" Penryn (pre-unibody) cuts my wrists so I can understand the OP and the guy in the Youtube video.
This sharp edge is only one of my beef with the unibody family.

P
Sep 10, 2010, 05:18 PM

I still have an SE (though an FDHD model, not the 2nd-series one I started out with) with complete original packaging and manuals. I might remember to check sometime in the next few weeks when I get back to the storage.
If you do, please check if they call the command key the Apple key. I think they did, but I'm not quite certain.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 10, 2010, 08:19 PM

Rob, read the thread macaddict linked to. Read my posts. I am not going to say "you're doing it wrong" (in part because this has caused me more headaches than it's worth), but I will say that not resting your wrists on the edge of the computer case is not only easier than "easing" the edge, it's also better for you.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Merkava_4
Sep 10, 2010, 11:37 PM

A 3M sanding sponge would give you a more uniform radius.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2010, 04:38 AM

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2010, 09:33 AM

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Nice
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 11, 2010, 12:28 PM

In pink no less.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2010, 06:11 PM

You're holding it wrong.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2010, 10:18 AM

Oh god, here we go again. OP... do you like tomatoes? I don't. Hate them.

Do you like your MBP's sharp edge? No? Me either. I filed mine down. But this comes down to basically, taste. If you like it, no one is to say you're wrong for liking it. Who could fault you for liking what you like and disliking what you like?

What really gets me is that this whole thing reads like you've already made up your mind, you're just coming here, bringing zombie threads back to life without even posting in it. You had to have a new one. Why? Sounds to me like you made up your mind you just wanted a reason to start a thread. I could go on but I'm going to stop here for now since my own proclivities are known.

What I'm really saying is that you didn't "just" discover you weren't alone. And you've done it before. Please stop with being a drama queen.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules