Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Managing home videos

Managing home videos
kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2010, 05:40 AM

I was surprised to notice my iPhoto database was almost 70GB in size, and after looking into it I noticed I have 45GB of video in there. I don't think iPhoto (have not tried 2011 btw) works especially well for managing video, but since it's all shot with P&S cameras the video's have still ended there...

Would there be some better solution for managing those files? Generally they are pretty short and stupid and I don't touch them (apart from occasionally watching a few). It would be a bonus if there was iMovie integration or similar allowing for making something a bit longer out of them (though I've done that less then once a year). I'd like to move to a SSD drive and keep my photo's on the fast disk, but having the video's there would be a big waste of space.

I have another solution (HTPC) for actual movies which I don't want to mix in with this.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2010, 05:46 AM

Plural things such as videos and photos do not have apostrophes.

I know that there are problems doing this in iTunes, but would a symbolic link to the files residing on another drive (network disk/direct attach/external USB) work for you?

kamina  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2010, 07:23 AM

I guess it could work. I could also go for a bigger SSD but I can't help but wonder that nobody would have made a better suited app for managing video's then iPhoto...

I guess an upgrade to Aperature could help as you can have several libraries spread over several disks.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2010, 10:00 PM

Why not just move the clips to another folder? They'll play wherever they are.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2010, 10:09 PM

I just made a smart album for movies in iPhoto, that way I can easily find them.

iMovie provides direct access to the movies in the iPhoto library, so you CAN easily work with them in iMovie.

I really don't understand what sort of "management" you're looking for. iPhoto will let you name the movies, put them in events, and add keywords for easier sorting.

If you don't want to import them into iPhoto you could skip them, and then use Image Capture to download the movie clips to whatever folder you wanted them in.

Also what jmiddel said...

Forum Links
Forum Rules