Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 Quad started itself up from power off with no internal hard drives!!!

G5 Quad started itself up from power off with no internal hard drives!!!
James_Rolevink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 06:59 PM

I just got back from a month's holiday to find the G5 quad that I had turned off and removed the internal hard drives from running flat knackers, fans blazing.

How is this even possible?

To be perfectly clear, it was powered off in order to remove the drives before I left for security reasons, and definitely left powered off. It has never done this before, as far as I know.

The only thing I can think of is that I did forget to remove the USB 2.0 Elgato EyeTV stick, but with no drive, there was no helper app running in the background, nor was there any firmware loaded into the stick.

I had also powered off (at the wall) the external LaCie CD-R and HD (this was physically removed).

Further, I physically switched off the internet router / switch.

In this month of Apple Bugs, with actual exploits reportedly running around in the wild, I am beginning to get all paranoid here and wonder if something / someone has compromised / corrupted my firmware???

Please, assure me that I am wrong and there is some very simple explanation.

Also, the house was clearly not broken into (just for those who wondered).

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2007, 07:30 PM

Make sure you carry around a bucket for when your head spins around and split-pea soup comes out!!!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

James_Rolevink  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by stwain2003 View Post
Make sure you carry around a bucket for when your head spins around and split-pea soup comes out!!!
So you don't know either then, and you also find this, shall we say, strange???

reader50
Administrator
Jan 11, 2007, 09:50 PM

Probably just a power spike when you were gone. Or some small static discharge. Something that fooled the power supply into thinking it's supposed to power up. With no OS available anywhere, after two minutes the cooling system will assume the unit is crashed and will go into max-cooling safe mode.

I'd suggest unplugging the unit when you're going to be gone for weeks at a time.

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2007, 05:01 PM

If you have your computer set to start up automatically (Energy saver PrefPane has the settings) then it will attempt to startup even if there is no drive available. I believe that this setting is stored in PRAM.
--Laurence

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2007, 12:12 AM

Cool

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2007, 02:45 PM

When you remove/add anything from inside your computer you should always remove the power cord to ensure there is no power going to any of the components.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Laurence View Post
If you have your computer set to start up automatically (Energy saver PrefPane has the settings) then it will attempt to startup even if there is no drive available. I believe that this setting is stored in PRAM.
I think EyeTV must use this feature, since it offers the ability to start your mac up for a scheduled recording.

Forum Links
Forum Rules