Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > AirPort 3.4 in Software Update

AirPort 3.4 in Software Update
RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2004, 10:49 AM

^

* Improved antenna output control.
* Enhanced logging from your base station which is compatible with
syslog.
* Performance improvements for WPA security implementations.

AirPort Update 3.4

AirPort Admin Utility for Windows 3.4

Krypton
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 10:57 AM

It'll be interesting to see if this fixes all the freezes and hangs.

jsiburt
Apr 19, 2004, 11:03 AM

I knew better than to install the update.

I had 3 bars of reception in my office which now dropped to 1 with the update. Updates fix one thing and break something else.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2004, 11:05 AM

I read that someone had his 17" PB drop 2 bars after updating it.

Anyone else tried and has had problems?

"Trackback": here
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

frates
Apr 19, 2004, 11:11 AM

AND...there's a new Airport base station with power over ethernet, that's freaking cool ! (249$ as the standard base station)

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 11:24 AM

kovacs
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 11:34 AM

My airport reception dropped 1 bar, now only one bare left, performance is good though...

jsiburt

Mine is a 17" PB as well. 1-2 bars max. But it has not lost reception which is a change. My Netgear, which I use for my other Macs with AE classic cards, gives me a consistent 4 bars which it has always done. My clamshell iBook is next to my PB and has always had max reception to the Netgear access point.

I'm thinking about the external antenna solution.

herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer

baaaah. i had 4 bars and im down to 2 or 3. the worst thing is my router is only 10 feet away. i had a feeling that i shouldve kept things as they were

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 11:47 AM

No problems here...FWIW

-Q-
Apr 19, 2004, 11:50 AM

No problems here at work, but we have great reception everywhere. I'll test more at home this evening.

Mobility
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2004, 12:11 PM

same woes here l installed 3.4 on both macs now l can't get any reception further than 10 feet...

jsiburt
Apr 19, 2004, 12:53 PM

I suppose I should clarify that the issue is not with the software on my PB but with the update to the Airport Base Station. This is what caused my reception to drop.

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...nttools10.html
Finally Apple made something like that. We have over 20 base stations those apps are a great help.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2004, 02:28 PM

Just wonderin�

Since I have two separate drives, one with Airport 3.3 and the other with the new 3.4, should it develop that I don't like the v3.4, can I replace it by simply coping over the 3.3 version/application? (I suppose this would also apply to Airport Setup assistant as well). Or, are there other pieces that one would need to reinstall?
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

tritonus
Senior User
Apr 19, 2004, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by andretan:

Same here: from 2-3 bars to 0-1 bars! Solutions? I can't find 3.3 anywhere!
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

mkbhatia
Administrator
Apr 19, 2004, 03:48 PM

I had similar problems, but after restarting a second time, the signal strength on my Power Mac G5 seemed to come back to normal. I can't explain why it took 2 restarts, but it definitely was problematic after the first restart (down from 4 bars to 1/0 bars).

m.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by andretan:

Possibly your readings were too high before and this update is actually accurate.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by pendragon:
Just wonderin�

Since I have two separate drives, one with Airport 3.3 and the other with the new 3.4, should it develop that I don't like the v3.4, can I replace it by simply coping over the 3.3 version/application? (I suppose this would also apply to Airport Setup assistant as well). Or, are there other pieces that one would need to reinstall?
It doesn't just install those apps; it installs frameworks and other system bits that you really shouldn't mess with. In short, the answer is no.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 09:34 PM

Installed the update and had no diff in bars. Using an ABE.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2004, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
It doesn't just install those apps; it installs frameworks and other system bits that you really shouldn't mess with. In short, the answer is no.
Wataru, Many thanks for the prompt reply.

Amongst the things I don't understand...since I have an original Graphite Base Station, I don't think the base station was updated. At least I saw no indication of such.

The only reason I installed the update is because the SW Updater suggested it.

That all said, and since I have seen no change in performance, should I remain "concerned" or is it safe to go back to sleep?

Thanks again!
Harv
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2004, 12:09 AM

My reception got better, went from 2-3 bars on the opposite end of my house to 3-4 bars. using an ibook 900 and linksys access point

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 12:10 AM

Whenever I start Limewire now my Airport freezes completely. No data in and out. I have to reboot the computer and reset the base station to get it working again. Weird. Firewalls are off but Limewire says its on.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by pendragon:
Wataru, Many thanks for the prompt reply.

Amongst the things I don't understand...since I have an original Graphite Base Station, I don't think the base station was updated. At least I saw no indication of such.

The only reason I installed the update is because the SW Updater suggested it.

That all said, and since I have seen no change in performance, should I remain "concerned" or is it safe to go back to sleep?

Thanks again!
The software is not just for basestations, but also for computers with Airport (Extreme and regular) cards. The info only mentions new features for AE, but if it's recommended for everyone then I'd trust it. If you haven't noticed any problems then I wouldn't worry about it.

-Q-
Apr 20, 2004, 01:09 AM

Testing at home and I'm not having any troubles getting a signal in the house. And the strength seems at it's usual level in the areas I use the PowerBook.

TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2004, 02:36 AM

Just updated here in the computer lab at school. I usually get 4 bars, but before I updated i was actually getting 3 bars which is very weird for me especially because I always get 4 bars in this location. Anyway, after the update I'm back to 4. I'll test it at home with my airport which is like 6in away and see whats up hehe.

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2004, 02:50 AM

Well, I usually get 1 or 2 when I gip off my neighbor's wireless network but now it's down to zero. Good thing my land line is back up.

kevyang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 03:39 AM

My ibook 500 freezed up 3 times already since installing the update.
All while downloading multiple tabs in safari.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2004, 08:17 AM

Should you wish to remove v3.4 and reinstall v3.3.1, the detailed, step by step procedures with links for (reinstalling v3.2.>3.3.1) are at http://homepage.mac.com/fishsun/arti..._airport34.htm

How well this procedure/technique works? I dunno, but it seems that if v3.4 hosed your system, you may care to give it a try. If you do, please post your results & comments.
Harv

baglunch
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2004, 09:25 AM

I have a 17" powerbook, after installing all of the updates I found that my powerbook connects to the airport network, but the admin utility does not find the base station (although i'm connected to it). Additionally I found that I am unable to connect to the internet although the base station is indeed connected (I was able to connect to the internet from an unupdated ibook in the house). I also saw fewer bars after the update, but i'll assume that's cosmetic.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2004, 11:24 AM

My powermac G5 didn't change any but it improved reception on my tibook. Netgear router at other end of house and at the other end I usualy got 2 and sometimes barely 3 bars. Now I get a soild 4 bars and I double checked it but transferring files and it definantly is running at the true indicated speed. Don't know what exactly they did but no complaints here.

Now if I could get back some of the battery life I had before the 10.3.3 update.

andrew davidoff
Apr 20, 2004, 11:28 AM

my reception dropped from full to 2 bars. whether or not this is just a more accurate representation of signal strength, something is most surely broken now.

3 times today using wireless at work over g (not an airport base station, it's an airespace system) i have lost all connectivity and couldn't regain it until rebooting. right now i'm plugged in because i can't keep rebooting to fix this.

downing and upping the interface doesn't fix it, and if i tcpdump en1 i see traffic from other machines but i never hear back when i try to dhcp. i am 100% sure this is a problem with my laptop and not our systems here at work (i'm one of our systems administrators). i have not tried statically setting an ip solely because i shouldn't have to.

this blows, but on the bright side it's the first problem i've had with an os x upgrade.

andrew davidoff

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by andrew davidoff:
3 times today using wireless at work over g (not an airport base station, it's an airespace system) i have lost all connectivity and couldn't regain it until rebooting. right now i'm plugged in because i can't keep rebooting to fix this.

downing and upping the interface doesn't fix it, and if i tcpdump en1 i see traffic from other machines but i never hear back when i try to dhcp. i am 100% sure this is a problem with my laptop and not our systems here at work (i'm one of our systems administrators). i have not tried statically setting an ip solely because i shouldn't have to.
Experiencing exact same problem here. I tried reverting back to 3.2 using an old installer and pacifist, but that just caused the computer not to recognize the airport hardware at all. Reupdated using 3.4 installer and keeping fingers crossed hoping it will work.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2004, 05:38 PM

No problems with the update here. The number of bars decreased with 3.4, but the signal is the same.
You can check your signal level with an application like MacStumbler:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14746

ultmast
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by qnxde:
Experiencing exact same problem here. I tried reverting back to 3.2 using an old installer and pacifist, but that just caused the computer not to recognize the airport hardware at all. Reupdated using 3.4 installer and keeping fingers crossed hoping it will work.
Since updating to 3.4 on 2 machines and one Base Station, I have had periodic loss of connection.

I have an AE Base Station that I updated to 5.4, a dual 2 GHz G5 with AE, and a Dual 800 MHz G4 with vanilla Airport.

After installing the updates, with both computers recognizing the base station and connecting to it, one of the machines will lose its ability to connect to the Internet and the other mac after a seemingly random amount of time (as little as 30 mins). When the connection is lost, it is only recoverable by a restart (or a location change), and not by turning off and on Airport. It still appears to be connected to the ABS (in the Airport menu), but does not have a proper IP (169.X), and cannot see the ABS in the admin utility during this time.

If I restart the affected machine (most often, the G5), or if I unplug and replug the ABS (as in the power plug), both machines instantly get on as if nothing has happened.

Not sure what to do about this.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by qnxde:
In addition to the steps in http://homepage.mac.com/fishsun/arti..._airport34.htm, a chap/chapette at Apple/discussions added this:

"You need to reinstall more components back to version 3.3 from the AirportSW.pkg (version 3.3) so that you can update to v3.3.1 Use Pacifist to do this.

The components are:
In the folder Applications/Utility/
*Airport Admin Utility.app
*Airport Setup Assistant.app

In the folder System/Library/
*CoreServices/Menu Extras/Airport.menu
*Extensions/AppleAirport.kext (if it isn't already 3.3, check with system profiler)
*Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext (if it isn't already 3.3, check with system profiler)
*PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework
*SystemConfiguration/Apple80211Monitor.bundle

You find these by opening the package with Pacifist. Now also your software update works again, don't use it! Install 3.3.1 from a standalone package and voila you are up and running again."
Harv

djjava
Senior User
Apr 20, 2004, 06:05 PM

looks like I waiting to install this update...
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...nttools10.html
did they pull this software? i was able to get to the page earlier, but i couldn't download, and now this link is bad...

if so, what were you able to do with this new software?

Toyin
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
looks like I waiting to install this update...
Ditto. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't think I've ever seen such consistent complaints in an OSX update.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

garetjax
Apr 20, 2004, 09:03 PM

I've dropped from 4 to 1-3 bars, avg 2 bars.
MacStumbler shows 28-34 now vs 40-45 prior to 3.4 on channel 4. Signals are lower on all other channels. Don't know if this affects browsing speed much, but it does slow down file sharing.

BTW using iMac FP 1Ghz and netgear 802.11b router.

dansulvn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 09:19 PM

His posted instructions alloewed me to reinstall 3.3. Macstumbler now reading 38 when it was reading 23.
Daniel P Sullivan

Chulo
Apr 20, 2004, 10:08 PM

I updated my Pbook and the signal bars dropped between 1-2 bars. I was really upset but even with no bars showing I could connect to the internet (via a D-Link router) and it appears that I'm connecting at faster speeds. I can't understand it but that's what I've been experiencing up to now. If I experience any changes, I'll report it.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 10:39 PM

My signal indicator dropped from full bar to 2-3 bars, though using KisMac, the signal rating seems to have just dropped slightly (Use Interference Robustness is still enabled). However, performance seems the same. No cause for concern for me as of the moment since my Netgear WR614v4 covers the entire flat. I'll perform more thorough tests later and see if I can get some numbers.

sbrunner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Whenever I start Limewire now my Airport freezes completely. No data in and out. I have to reboot the computer and reset the base station to get it working again. Weird. Firewalls are off but Limewire says its on.
I had the same issue until I updated limewire to 3.8.10. hope this helps.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 04:54 AM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:
did they pull this software? i was able to get to the page earlier, but i couldn't download, and now this link is bad...

It allows you to administer several base-stations easily.

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2004, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:

It's here now:

http://www.apple.com/support/airport/
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 10:09 AM

mine stayed at 4 bars, where it has always been.

15" 1.25ghz powerbook

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by ginoledesma:
My signal indicator dropped from full bar to 2-3 bars, though using KisMac, the signal rating seems to have just dropped slightly (Use Interference Robustness is still enabled). However, performance seems the same. No cause for concern for me as of the moment since my Netgear WR614v4 covers the entire flat. I'll perform more thorough tests later and see if I can get some numbers.
Turn off Interference Robustness unless you absolutely need it. Just watch Apple's new Client Monitor app. WIth Robustness enabled my noise was at -56 dBm (higher than my signal). Turning it off dropped the noise to -95 dBm. There is very limited info on Interference Robustness on the web, but basically it is only good in a very problematic environment (someplace with a great deal of radio interference). Under normal conditions it will actually cause your connection to be weaker and slower.

-matt

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2004, 01:57 PM

I took the risk and went with the update.

No problems...

BUT I noticed that the problem happens to those who have Airport Base Stations?

I myself am using a Linksys Wireless router...
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

barbarian
Senior User
Apr 22, 2004, 11:33 AM

Weird problem after the update.... My internet connection will drop, but I still have a strong airport connection. (This is a G5) The other computers in the house (mainly ibooks) still have their internet connections. The only way to connect successfully again is to do a full reboot (ie simply logging out won't do it).

This is frustrating and OS 9ish!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules