Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ipod poll

View Poll Results: 4gen ipod
Poll Options:
keep it the way it is. 21 votes (22.58%)
FM,spdif (optical), voice recoarder, better battery and larger hd. 19 votes (20.43%)
oled screen,FM,spdif (optical), voice recoarder, better battery and larger hd. 22 votes (23.66%)
oled screen,FM,spdif (optical), voice recoarder, better battery and larger hd. price drop by 20% 5 votes (5.38%)
oled screen,FM,spdif (optical), voice recoarder, better battery and larger hd. price drop by 30% 26 votes (27.96%)
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll
ipod poll
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2004, 02:33 PM

what new features would you like for example fm radio which costs like practically nothing. Better battery etc .

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2004, 03:51 PM

Well, obviously I'd like for the new one to have as many of those as possible...

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2004, 05:03 PM

As long as they don't make it worse I'm happy. Some thing's that I'd like to see are:
- Better battery
- FM radio
- Voice recorder
- More games

I wouldn't want a color lcd screen or something like that because it would take more battery life. I want all the battery life that I can get out of the iPod. Maybe if they came out with a separate product that played movie files but not on the iPod.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2004, 05:19 PM

well oled doesnt use that much power iv been told. what if some how they incoperated some kind of solar pannal but looked very fashonable and was perfect for helping the charge but at a very slow pase so rather than 2 hours to charge 6 maybe but then again no cords during the day so like if you are out side or at the gym it can turn on when you are on ur last bar for the battery or something. Im telling you or like the hybrid cars where there is no plug all breakin system from toyota and honda. Bigger hard drive for sure. and a faster hd if possible. Like a high end hd for storing fcp files.

Mike656
Apr 22, 2004, 06:43 PM

An easily replaceable battery would be nice, with a true 8 hour useage.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2004, 11:56 AM

this poll doesn't make any sense. other than not wanting changes made at all, which is silly really, each of your subsequent choices just increases the number of features, and decreases the price...

why wouldn't you want the maximum number of features and the minimum price?

what you meant to do i think is have the subsequent choices be broken out.

i would personally want:

-larger Hard Drive (duh)
-line in recording (with improved bit depth)
-color screen with video playback
-improved battery consumption, although adding the color screen and video playback we'd be lucky to keep the same battery consumption.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2004, 02:12 PM

It is just ideas floating around. Line in would be nice a mic feature fm radio is also nice if possible. Color screen not for video but for ical. Video maybe the new mp4 codec and av in/out to hook up to a tv there fore you have a portible player that holds movies. Battery yes and possible solar pannal small or somehow make it look cool.

slider
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 03:09 PM

I personally really don't care about radio on my iPod, if I want voice recording there are two great options, and also a larger HD does nothing for me. I would like to see, as always, smaller more compact design and longer battery life. The whole battery thing has been over hyped, I consider all iPods as having replaceable batteries, it really is not that difficult. Plus, since all batteries run down, an "easily" accessable battery would probably lead to stories of theft. You don't thing these things would go for 10 bucks, do you.

John G. Stillmank
Apr 23, 2004, 04:29 PM

Higher capacity replaceable battery (like one that slides onto the back so you can have several batteries, with a charger that holds the iPod and at least one battery - cell phone style) is VITAL.

Larger hard drive: I'll take it if they offer it, otherwise no biggie.

OLED would be nice, but not totally necessary. Slightly larger screen (more out to the edge) would be great.

FM radio, maybe or maybe not. XM satellite radio, maybe not or maybe. Voice recording, same feeling - take it or leave it. I probably wouldn't use these kinds of features much.

I like the 3G size, could even be a little larger. I actually liked the hard front edge of the 1G better that the curved edge of the 3G.

How about dumping the stainless steel and going all plastic? How about a special edition, all see-through?

I like the iPod mini controls layout (have never liked the 3G controls).

And my final comment: I LOVE THE iPOD!
15" Aluminum Powerbook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 80GB. Airport Extreme. 4G iPod 60GB.

Dimitri
Apr 23, 2004, 05:11 PM

-Bigger storage couldn't hurt.
-Better battery life would be nice. Making it easily accessible isn't that important to me.
-Better sound quality and more EQ (including custom).
-digital OUTPUT
-Better quality mic recording.

iKwak
Apr 24, 2004, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by saranwarp:
Well, obviously I'd like for the new one to have as many of those as possible...

ryju
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 08:57 AM

I would like to see the button layout that's on the Mini's currently.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2004, 06:18 PM

what about fw800 would force pc users to switch to a mac or go and buy a fw800 port.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2004, 07:39 PM

I'd just like better battery life, and a software interface that allowed for changing more options on the fly (more of the power of iTunes could be used while away from the computer). A color OLED screen might make it easier to display more complex information, so I'd like that too if it wouldn't hurt battery life.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2004, 12:46 AM

Oled doesn't sux up much battery. IF that is the case maybe like 3 colors or a option to switch from color to b/w to save battery. What do you think of solor panals some how to keep the battery life longer.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2004, 05:57 AM

My wish list:

-OLED for displaying album art in color at less battery consumption than the current displays

-iPod mini scroll wheel, doing away with the extra buttons

-80GB capacity

-recording capability (stereo, at least 16-bit 44.1kHz or 192kbps mp3).

The latter is a *must* before I buy one to replace my dearly beloved but by now woefully undersized 5-gig model.

-s*

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2004, 11:54 AM

80 gig mp3 player just came out. Looks not that bad. OLED will be perfect for the ical and things like that. Possibly no buttons yes but would it make it easier or allow for a bigger screen?!?!?

wschultz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2004, 03:10 PM

FM reception is the one thing I miss most. When working out at the gym it's nice to be able to tune in to the TV station... or even the local hard rock station.

Color screen would be cool, but not needed.

djjava
Senior User
Apr 26, 2004, 03:33 PM

all thees 3rd party people keep making FM transmitters to play your ipod music on an FM receiver... WHY THE HECK CAN'T THEY MAKE AN FM RECEIVER FOR THE GOSH DARN IPOD?!?!?!?

that is the one thing keeping me from going out and buying one.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

kovacs
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 04:11 PM

I wouldn't mind a FM tuner, larger hard drive and price drop but I don't care for those other things you mentioned. A optical digital output will never ever happen, because MP3 is not a digital format they would have to add an ADC ( Analog-to-digital converter ) which would increase the price a fair bit, I don't see a use for it either ...
( Last edited by kovacs; Apr 26, 2004 at 04:25 PM. )

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2004, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:
why wouldn't you want the maximum number of features and the minimum price?
Shareholders?

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 10:07 AM

OLED, better photo support.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
MP3 is not a digital format
Erm...WHAT!?

Or course it is - it's on a ****in' computer hard drive, isn't it?
they would have to add an ADC ( Analog-to-digital converter ) which would increase the price a fair bit, I don't see a use for it either ...
You're confusing mp3 encoding/decoding with analog/digital conversion.

The mp3 codec chip decodes mp3s and aacs into 16-bit, 44.1 kHz digital audio that it passes on to the digital/analog converter chip, which turns it into an analog signal then amplified and piped to the 1/8" jack. The mp3 codec chip works both ways - it can both encode and decode. In theory. (That is, it did on the original iPods: the firmware just didn't support encoding from an external source.)

And they already an analog/digital converter in there as well. Else it wouldn't be possible to record at all with it.

Neither of these chips have anything at all to do with an optical I/O, though.

-s*

mishap
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 07:30 PM

Has anyone mentioned home on the iPod yet?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2004, 08:26 PM

The biggest pluses they could add to the iPod would be, Camera USB in, (skip the media reader.) Line in would be nice but it's not a big thing. FM... if you honestly want an FM radio... go out and spend like 50 bucks on one! You can get them smaller and cheaper than an iPod.

OLED would be awesome. Having the iPod would work iPhoto would be pretty spiffy.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2004, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Line in would be nice but it's not a big thing.
Yeah it is.

I see more and more sound engineers where the music before and after the show comes from an iPod sitting on the FOH mixer.

If these things were capable of acceptable stereo soundboard recordings, I guarantee that you will be hard-pressed to find a sound engineer, technician, or musician without one.

Okay, that's not the major market, but it would definitely also kill much of the minidisc market overnight.

And that *is* substantial.

Though, of course, recording directly to mp3 at a friend's house might be a problem what with Apple now in the music distribution business and all...

-s*

alwar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2004, 09:59 PM

How about the same scroll wheel as the iPod mini...

Larger Hard Drive capacity of course...

Ability to import my custom EQ's...

And If possible, I would love to have my songs to fade from one to another like it does in iTunes...

I just don't see the need for an FM tuner, I would get a small, cheap Walkman for that...

Maybe get rid of the shiny back; have one color like the mini...

DeathWolf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2004, 10:39 PM

-iPod DV, or the like, made for movies - i.e. larger screen, color, okay if slightly thicker to accomodate larger battery
-Photo camera USB direct connection (skip the reader.. I second that) w/iPhoto mini (just view/delete photos) app for the iPod DV
-Digital videocamera direct firewire input for storage, playback and basic cropping (like on my Canon S400 photo camera)
-iPod Mini scroll wheel/button interface for standard iPods
-Song fade in/out
-Line In
-Built-in Mic
-Customizable EQ
-Smart playlists that update on the fly
-Apple made car kit which reads the iPod as a disc changer, allowing for control from a head unit
-AND A FIRMWIRE THAT GIVES 3RD GEN FEATURES TO PREVIOUS GENS WITH THE EXACT SAME HARDWARE.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2004, 11:53 PM

- S/PDIF (optical out) on the iPod Dock
- Gapless playback of songs
- Larger HD (naturally)
- FM Tuner (the circuity for this costs nothing)
- Ability to store lyrics in songs through iTunes and display them on iPod
- Support for Ogg Vorbis (.ogg) format (free to support)
- Higher capacity / user replaceable battery (only if practical)
- Price reduction
- Fade in/out like in iTunes (option)
- Same EQ support as iTunes
- iTunes, BPM calculator, so that tag can actually be useful to people that need it
- More browse/search options on the iPod, such as by year, by BPM, by song length, etc.
- Smart playlists
( Last edited by RayX; Apr 28, 2004 at 12:16 AM. )

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2004, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by DeathWolf:
-iPod DV, or the like, made for movies - i.e. larger screen, color, okay if slightly thicker to accomodate larger battery
-Photo camera USB direct connection (skip the reader.. I second that) w/iPhoto mini (just view/delete photos) app for the iPod DV
-Digital videocamera direct firewire input for storage, playback and basic cropping (like on my Canon S400 photo camera)
-iPod Mini scroll wheel/button interface for standard iPods
-Song fade in/out
-Line In
-Built-in Mic
-Customizable EQ
-Smart playlists that update on the fly
-Apple made car kit which reads the iPod as a disc changer, allowing for control from a head unit
-AND A FIRMWIRE THAT GIVES 3RD GEN FEATURES TO PREVIOUS GENS WITH THE EXACT SAME HARDWARE.
Ipod dv is nice all you would need is a tv which is cheep and every house hold has a tv. There for you use your ipod as the source. plug un the audio and video plug to plug it in then use the tv as a screen therefore you have a large screen. no dinkey ipod screen. Think that way u save battery power.
Oled screen is great.
Ipod mini scroll wheel etc is perfect to allow for a larger screen and keepin it more simple
Built in mic great for school and classes etc.
Line in like optical since more and more hd players are using them. Its only logica espically since more sound systems have sidif out etc.
car kit well alphine has one commin out this summer the head unit is black but if it matched the ipod would be nice like a interchangble cover plate
fm raido is good for news etc since the price for a fm radio is like dollar or so they can just thorw it in.

Yes fadeing in and out like a dj awesome. I know my friends all pc users at school I showed them itunes they fell in love espically dj effects of fading in and out.
fw800 maybe?!?!? or a faster hd !?!?
They gotta figure out how to make battery life longer espically for them dj's. I know tones of people that dj ipods hours at a time and the battery is suckey. Im telling you some how they gotta figure out how to intagrate a solar pannal and make it look good. Even if its small and helps only 30% of so.
Any thing else. Size we mentioned.
tempo is a big thing now since people bring it to partys djin etc. That is a big plus.
better ear buds etc so u dont have to think about other brands. I know when I have a ipod a lock feature maybe like a password type of thing. Since its very perrrrty and some one might try to steal it lol.

yes lyrics nice feature. even keryoka style ?!?!? lol

Getoverit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 12:07 AM

would a cell phone mini ipod be that tough?

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2004, 12:08 AM

I wouldn't mind a FM tuner, larger hard drive and price drop but I don't care for those other things you mentioned. A optical digital output will never ever happen, because MP3 is not a digital format they would have to add an ADC ( Analog-to-digital converter ) which would increase the price a fair bit, I don't see a use for it either ...
As someone has already corrected you regarding your comment about digital I/O, I won't comment on that.

But as for a use for it, some people like to stick an iPod dock on top of there sound system, which a lot of times these days includes an optical input. So it just ensures the highest possible sound quality from the iPod.

That is one example of a use for it...

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2004, 12:57 AM

wimax or 4g for wirless. wimax 77mbs at 30 mile raidus and 3g is like 22mbs and 4g is 100mbs but don't know the distance. bluetooth for head phones would be awesome.

JasonQG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 03:56 AM

ogg, ogg, ogg

ogg vorbis!

Naplander
Senior User
Apr 28, 2004, 05:51 AM

Bluetooth headphones will be coming - no doubt about it.

I don't know why so many people want more capacity. I mean do you really have 80gigs worth of songs that you just have to carry about with you?
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2004, 06:12 AM

Originally posted by Naplander:
I don't know why so many people want more capacity. I mean do you really have 80gigs worth of songs that you just have to carry about with you?
Not really a need for everyone, just that newer drives are naturally going to be bigger, so people are just predicting this.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2004, 06:21 AM

Bluetooth headphones will be coming - no doubt about it.
Do you really want atrocious sound quality at a $90 premium? I don't.
a) Yes.

b) say hello to the concept of a pocket-sized hard drive, quite aside from the mp3-player aspect.

c) Do a search for "Home on iPod", a feature that Apple already *had* built into the betas of Panther, but removed before release because it wasn't done. How big is your entire home folder?

-s*

paulc
Apr 28, 2004, 07:36 AM

Here's my list:

1. 60G HD
2. mini-style controls
3. double the playtime
4. easily replaceable battery
5. all silver alu case

I'm being realistic (except for 3, I seriously doubt we'll see that); all this stuff could very well be in a 4G model.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2004, 11:25 PM

not today but very soon now that we know the new itms is out.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2004, 09:18 PM

They are pushing music videos. We are getting someware. Size is apparently gonna get bigger since they just added more music to there store.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 1, 2004, 01:59 AM

if i hear one more person say the oled screens take up noticeable battery power, im going to go insane. the color gameboys have oled displays and they had better battery life usually than the gameboy pocket. the only battery munching thing that people should be worring about are the harddrives, which means they should gat a bigger cache.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2004, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:
if i hear one more person say the oled screens take up noticeable battery power, im going to go insane. the color gameboys have oled displays and they had better battery life usually than the gameboy pocket. the only battery munching thing that people should be worring about are the harddrives, which means they should gat a bigger cache.
u serious the game boys have oled how sweet. http://www.nintendo.com/techspecgba I don't see any thing about a oled screen.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2004, 02:20 PM

Dell lowered there price on there mp3 player and its the same hd. That means toshiba had to have lowered there price selling it to dell.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2004, 12:13 AM

well new ipod comercial meaning possible a update soon. It looked like the regular ipod 3rd gen so maybe just a new comerical. Who knows. No color screen it seemed like eather. Maybe some hidden features you cant physically see.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 02:21 AM

Who would vote for anything other then better, more features and 30% less

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2004, 12:00 PM

The controls on the 3G version need to be redesigned. I much prefer the controls on my 5gigger first gen iPod.
Larger screen, and a more durable battery would be nice too.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 02:07 PM

I like the original's button layout too. It makes clicking through a pocket less cumbersome and easier to navigate. The mini's layout is a step in the right direction, I guess, but the raised layout of the original is superior.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2004, 01:51 PM

ipod mini controlls allows for bigger screen but also battery is a issuie maybe only a little but a larger screen would work if u take away the 4 buttons pluse it will look more clean. Less buttons.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 06:34 PM

The Gameboy does not use an OLED display. It uses a reflective TFT LCD display, the SP version has a bevel bounted front light to illuminate the screen. I don't know where you got your information from but it is competely wrong.

I see no utility in adding an FM tuner to the iPod, I see it as a gimmick on the other players. The antennas are none too big and the players are often stuffed into pockets and purses. For music players like the iPod it would be rare for people to get nice enough FM reception to really listen to. I wouldn't not buy an iPod because it didn't have an FM receiver, I find radio to be despicably inane and worthless anymore. The suckiness of radio is the entire reason I've got an iPod.

I don't think S/PDIF optical out on the iPod itself would be very useful but it would be really sweet to have such an output port on the dock. Even cheap Wal�Mart stereo receivers have S/PDIF input ports anymore since a numbr of DVD players now also have them. Being able to listen to stuff off my iPod without extra DAC stages would be just fine for me.

I love the size of the 3G iPods. I've got a 20GB 2G and it is small enough but not quite as portable as my friend's 10GB 3G. I'd really like for the size to remain the same while having more storage space and a longer battery life. I can realistically get ten hours out of my iPod on a full charge. It might be a little less now considering I've had it for almost two years. Regardless I still get an appriciable amount of play time off my iPod. The 3G iPods don't hold up against the battery life of my 2G which I think is a major downside to them right now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules