Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iSync + Motorola V3 Razr

iSync + Motorola V3 Razr
Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2004, 01:45 PM

Just ordered this phone. Looks absolutely fantastic.

Motorola V3 Razr

Would like to know if anyone has got this working with iSync. Motorola have a reasonably good reputation with iSync and there other phones. Hope it extends to this one...

TIA

Jordan
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 05:57 PM

I'm not sure, but I'd love to have one myself. No US carriers announced, yet, and the thing costs a pretty penny.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2004, 07:40 PM

im almost sure that the razR is going to be a exclusive phone, and not sold or branded by any US carriers.

im still waiting for the software upgrade for my V600 to sync via BT.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2004, 08:07 AM

Got mine on day after Turkey Day. Works wonderfully. It only appears to be on Cingular right now. Just ironing out the porting kinks from my Verizon Line. They crossed my streams at first and dialing and receiving calls was shared by my Razr and Kyo 7135 from verizon for a while.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2004, 08:57 AM

I wish I had not just purchased another cell three months ago. I saw that RAZR phone on a TV commercial and fell in love with it. It will definately be my NEXT phone.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2004, 10:06 AM

Is anyone answering the question?

Will it work with iSync?

BZ

-Q-
Nov 30, 2004, 11:13 AM

That is one expensive phone!

My guess would be that in order to sync via bluetooth a revision to iSync will be necessary. Looking on Apple's iSync Devices page, all the Moto phones require a USB cable to sync. The Razr may sync with a USB cable, but who knows?

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
That is one expensive phone!
YEAH it is. I played with one and my only thought was, "oh, it's thin." But I didn't really get that sort of lust for a product that you get with, well, an iPod for example. But people are going nuts over these phones! (Their price will be 1/3 of what it is now within a year or two I'm sure.)

They use the same OS as the V4xx, V5xx and V6xx series I believe, so a USB cable should make it sync... maybe a little plist hacking as well?

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2004, 08:41 PM

I don't have the phone, but a friend does. He says his syncs fine with isync over bluetooth. I was surprised after all the motorola problems. I'm getting my wife a v620 for christmas and we decided we'd just wait for Tiger syncing via bluetooth.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Jordan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2004, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
I don't have the phone, but a friend does. He says his syncs fine with isync over bluetooth. I was surprised after all the motorola problems. I'm getting my wife a v620 for christmas and we decided we'd just wait for Tiger syncing via bluetooth.

J.
Be interested in knowing how he did that! Only had a quick play with mine because I was told it wouldn't work. It failed to recognise the phone. Did he hack the plist as suggested above?

Ta.

Jordan

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2004, 08:06 PM

I'll ask and get back to you, lot of time difference between there and here.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 08:25 PM

Erm, I'll believe it when I see it... I haven't heard a thing about Moto phones working with BT sync.

ojnihs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2004, 02:16 AM

The razr V3 is carried exclusively by the new Cingular. So if you want to use it, you have to be on the new Cingular.

Motorola phones can connect to Apple computers with bluetooth, but will not work with iSync. Motorola has said that they don't support Mac OSX and will not support it any time in the future.

If you need help connecting to it with bluetooth, let me know.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2004, 02:36 AM

It's only Cingular in the US. The first poster is in Oz.
Secondly, where do you get the info about Moto and Apple? They have entered in a joint agreement to produce a version of iTunes for Moto phones.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Jordan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2004, 03:06 AM

From the Motorola website....

At this time, due to licensing issues, our pagers, cellular products and accessories are not Macintosh compatible and will not be able to interface software to your device. You can trust that Motorola is diligently working on future products which will hopefully include Macintosh compatibility, but we do not have an estimated time frame.

----------

Not sure what they mean by "licensing issues"!!!

Jordan

ojnihs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2004, 03:34 AM

Originally posted by Jordan:
From the Motorola website....

At this time, due to licensing issues, our pagers, cellular products and accessories are not Macintosh compatible and will not be able to interface software to your device. You can trust that Motorola is diligently working on future products which will hopefully include Macintosh compatibility, but we do not have an estimated time frame.

----------

Not sure what they mean by "licensing issues"!!!

Jordan
yeah that's exactly where i saw it. I have a V551, and i use bluetooth to put mp3's on my phone for ringtones and to take my photos off the phone. But besides that, i really have no problem manually inputting all my contacts into the phone, although being able to isync would be nice.

I'm also confused by licensing issues, they need to be more specific for sure.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2004, 06:10 AM

Right, I skyped my friend when he got into work and had a chat. He had no problem getting his mac to recognise the phone, transfer files onto it, and he got one sync via bluetooth that put his contacts onto the phone. The following day, apple upgraded the bluetooth software, and since then all he can do is get his powerbook to see that the phone is there.

He's now got some third party software running that gets things back working.

Apparently the motorolas use a different sync protocol which will be supported in Tiger's isync. I will guess that he might be mistaken on the contacts sync issue due to this, but he's normally pretty mac savvy.

Hope this helps.

J.

Jordan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2004, 07:55 AM

Hope this helps.

J.
Freeflyer. What would really help would be the name of the third party software. Hoping too that Tiger will solve this problem as well.... and world peace.... and global warming...

Thanks,

Jordan

RazorWriter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2004, 09:56 PM

I read on Howardforums that this (mac!) Nokia software works with other phones, at least Sony-Ericsson ones over bluetooth, tho I haven't tried it. Sposed to do the same things isync and bluetooth file transfer do:

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,67269,00.html

Silencer
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2004, 12:41 AM

I love motorolas phones, but i can't stand how slow the OS is, just trying to go through the address book takes forever.

When they get a decent Firmware update or change the OS I might think of swapping my phone for a moto.

badtz
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2004, 05:58 PM

also, on the V3, I don't [think] you're able to have multiple phone numbers PER contact. instead, the phonebook lists every single phone number for every single contact in a long list ....

:X

Jordan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2004, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by badtz:
also, on the V3, I don't [think] you're able to have multiple phone numbers PER contact. instead, the phonebook lists every single phone number for every single contact in a long list ....

:X
I spoke to Motorola the other day about the cr@piness of their interface. They admitted it needed work and said there was an update coming out soon. I assume the V3 will be able to take it.

You are right though. Every phone number is a different entry which takes forever to search. Also you can only type the first letter to jump down not multiple letters. Example, you are after Mum's number. You hit M but then have to do through all the different numbers you have for Matthew, Mark, Melvin, Morgan, etc. finally getting to Mum. It really is a pain!!!!

trancepriest
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2004, 06:09 PM

Right, I skyped my friend when he got into work and had a chat. He had no problem getting his mac to recognise the phone, transfer files onto it, and he got one sync via bluetooth that put his contacts onto the phone. The following day, apple upgraded the bluetooth software, and since then all he can do is get his powerbook to see that the phone is there.

Apparently the motorolas use a different sync protocol which will be supported in Tiger's isync. I will guess that he might be mistaken on the contacts sync issue due to this, but he's normally pretty mac savvy.

Hope this helps.

J.
It would be good if you gave us vital information... what is the third party software that allows your friend to make magic with the razr and isync?

trancepriest
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2004, 04:31 PM

Accessing the Internet on OS X with Bluetooth, Motorola v600 and ATT wireless

http://mesh.typepad.com/blog/2004/09...ing_the_i.html

I was able to get a brief bluetooth connection to cingular with the above script and a razr. I don't have a gprs account with cingular so I'm being disconnected.

zolagol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2004, 12:15 AM

i've been using my V3 (unlocked) for a week now and easily transfer pics, audio, and video back and forth between my phone and PBook via BT connectivity.....

b.t.w. i'm using the phone on FIDO in Canada....

as one reviewer put it..."the Moto V3 is the Macintosh of mobile phones...superior substance and unsurpassed style...."
( Last edited by zolagol; Dec 11, 2004 at 12:45 AM. )
Mac. When you want something that works. Period.

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2004, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by Jordan:
I spoke to Motorola the other day about the cr@piness of their interface. They admitted it needed work and said there was an update coming out soon. I assume the V3 will be able to take it.

You are right though. Every phone number is a different entry which takes forever to search. Also you can only type the first letter to jump down not multiple letters. Example, you are after Mum's number. You hit M but then have to do through all the different numbers you have for Matthew, Mark, Melvin, Morgan, etc. finally getting to Mum. It really is a pain!!!!
The phonebook interface is actually quite nice... most people overlook the "Primary Contacts" view option on Motorola phones before they start complaining about the interface:

go to Addressbook > Menu > Setup > View > "Primary Contacts"

Now names are only listed once and you use the left and right arrows to toggle through the various numbers (ie, home, work, cell, email, etc) for each contact. Or, alternatively you can hit the circle and select the name and then arrow up and down through the various fields for the contact.

Hope this helps.
//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2004, 12:30 AM

Btw, for those interested I have a thread going on the V3 in the peripherals forum that covers some connectivity issues between the V3 + OS X in my later post:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=236364

Basically, you need a USB cable (any mini-USB to USB should do, such as one that came w/ a digital camera) for syncing contacts/calendars via iSync. Bluetooth will work for ringtones/audio, pictures/wallpaper, video... And an application called ThinAir will allow 'OBEX Push' for installing apps/games to the V3 (download link is in the thread)

//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

Jordan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2004, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:
The phonebook interface is actually quite nice... most people overlook the "Primary Contacts" view option on Motorola phones before they start complaining about the interface:

Hope this helps.
//Carbon
Thanks Carbon! Didn't know that was there. Makes it a little easier although there are still quite a few poorly designed features of the Motorola including:
- Can only type first letter to jump to names rather than multiple
- Have to assign stupid speed dial numbers to every single contact. I know that it will guess the next one for you but that should be an internal reference only not something public. If I choose to assign a speed dial then that is different. Now I have to go moving speed dial numbers around between contact as the first 10 that I entered went into the "speedy" speed dial slots and now have to move them around to make room for numbers I really want there.

I'm still miffed that there is not a good iSync solution especially with the alleged Apple Motorola partnership on iTunes and mobile phones!

Jordan

Forum Links
Forum Rules