Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Advice on Cellphone (and whether they work well on macs?)

Advice on Cellphone (and whether they work well on macs?)
finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2004, 08:06 PM

Sorry, yet another mobile phone question. Last time I got advice here on a phone and I have been very pleased with my t610 for the last year!
I have been looking at three phones and I hope you guys can tell from your experience what they are like. Also how do they work with isync and mac bluetooth.
The phones are the Nokia 7610, the SE K700i and finally the Motorola RAZR V3. I REALLY like the V3 size and style but what is the best phone? Do I have to have a SE to use Salling Clicker?

Thanks very much in advance for your advice. Any help is appreciated

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2004, 08:27 PM

In terms of bluetooth support and Salling Clicker you're gonna want to get the K700i...

That said, I just picked up the Razr V3 and it's the best phone I've ever seen in my life. The thing is built like a PowerBook.

The V3 currently requires a USB cable for iSyncing contacts and icalendars. However, the bluetooth file transfer features work great... and a client called ThinAir allows you to take advantage of the OBEX Push protocol to install java apps and games via bluetooth to the V3. It's highly likely that OS X Tiger (10.4) will bring a major overhaul to iSync that will include bluetooth support for the Vxxx series of Motorola mobiles.

But yeah, if it's Salling Clicker you want then the V3 really isn't an option on the table. There are other great apps in the works such as BluePhoneElite that are bringing some nice features to users of other mobiles (including the V3). I've been talking back and forth w/ the developer and he has made some very good progress w/ V3 support in the latest betas since I first started testing it.

//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

finknottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2004, 06:33 PM

Thanks. I think I'll go for a V3. I really like the look of it.
Thanks for your help

philz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2004, 09:08 PM

I got a 7610 about two weeks ago and am really happy with it. I really considered getting a V3 but at the last moment decided against it. I really like the V3's profile but a couple aspects of the design really bothered me (the tiny external LCD being one of them). That and I was concerned with Motorla's poor track record for keeping their premium models premium. I'm also not a huge fan of Motorola's software. In the end, I'm pleased with the 7610's Symbian functionality and uniqure styling (even if it doesn't have the wow factor of the v3). Oh yeah, it doesn't work with the Mac very well at all - I think it just does file xfers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules