Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Cingular S710a no txt from iChat

Cingular S710a no txt from iChat
ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2005, 01:56 PM

I just picked up an S710a from Cingular, and I can't seem to use iChat to send a txt message to the phone. This worked with my ATT T616 yesterday, but not the new one. I get this error: "Your message could not be delivered.", after it gives the "Your IM is going to a mobile phone" thing.

Any ideas? Can other cingular users send a txt to their phone from iChat?

thanks,
-matt

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2005, 10:33 PM

You should give a better description. Are you still on the same carrier? Did they change your wireless plan? how are you using ichat to tex? just using your mobile # as the screenname?

Details.

ratlater  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2005, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by ashtoash:
You should give a better description. Are you still on the same carrier? Did they change your wireless plan? how are you using ichat to tex? just using your mobile # as the screenname?

Details.
Was ATT with a T616. Using screen name of +1xxxxxxx (my number with +1 at the start) I was able to send txt messages to my phone. Now with a new phone under Cingular I can't do that anymore. When I send a message iChat tells me it is sending the message to a mobile device, then it pops up another message saying it failed.

I can txt to and from my phone with another cell phone and can send a txt to the phone via email to [email protected]. Just can't use iChat (AIM). Anyone else have issues sending SMS to a cingular phone from iChat?

thanks,
-matt

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2005, 02:03 AM

Yeah, I never had problems doing this w/ my old Nokia on AT&T (TDMA) but when I switched to a Razr w/ Cingular (GSM) I've noticed that it only works sometimes. As of late it has not been working but eventually it will kick back in for a while, and then inevitably cut out again.

So it's either an issue with the Orange towers (Cingular) or the GSM network versus the old TDMA network. I doubt it's the phones since this is happening w/ a variety of phones (the Razr, the V551, and your phone)

//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2005, 02:07 AM

And now that I think about it more, you said you had a T616 when you were on an AT&T package... which would mean you were on GSM w/ AT&T. So it probably has something to do w/ the way the Orange towers handle SMS versus how the Blue (AT&T) towers do.

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

ratlater  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2005, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:
And now that I think about it more, you said you had a T616 when you were on an AT&T package... which would mean you were on GSM w/ AT&T. So it probably has something to do w/ the way the Orange towers handle SMS versus how the Blue (AT&T) towers do.
Yeah...that sounds like it's the problem. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try to bug Cingular now. They advertise sending an SMS from AIM or Yahoo to their phones, so it should work.

-matt

Forum Links
Forum Rules