Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 Boot Lag (!!Possible Fix!!)

OS9 Boot Lag (!!Possible Fix!!)
JasonZig
Nov 26, 1999, 06:15 PM

Good news!! After turning off just one extension, my graphite iMac boots up fast. It used to have a huge lag after displaying the hard drive and desktop icons.

Try turning off the extension "Shared Library Manager". Don't turn off the "Shared Libarary Manager PPC".

Be sure and test your network applications. My friend Chris figured out that certain applications (like NetPresenz FTP Server) may be unable to function without Shared Library Manager.

HTH,

Jason

------------------------------
Whoops!

I just noticed a bad side-effect of turning off Shared Library Manager- no AppleTalk! Yikes! I guess we'll have to live with a slow OS9 boot until Apple gets their act together in OS9.1 (hopefully!)

[This message has been edited by JasonZig (edited 11-26-1999).]

fleshhorn
Nov 28, 1999, 10:53 PM

Thats weird, only time I notice a boot delay on any of the 20 or so OS 9 machine I have used is because of Multiple Users, which is okay.

JasonZig
Nov 29, 1999, 12:40 AM

I have not even opened the Multiple Users stuff. A friend of mine did, though, and said his boot lag problems seemed to follow that.

What kind of machines have you installed OS9 on?

[This message has been edited by JasonZig (edited 11-28-1999).]

fleshhorn
Nov 29, 1999, 12:56 AM

An 8500/G3, Powerbook G3/400, B&W G3/400 and 300, 8600/200, various iMac's, C600/240, and some other randoms. As I said none startup slower than 8.6

JasonZig
Nov 29, 1999, 01:03 AM

What is wierd about my boot lag problem is that it did not begin immediately after I installed OS9.

Please let me know if any of your users start to complain of this problem, but especially if you can figure out how to fix it!

Thanks for your info.
-Jason

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 1999, 01:24 AM

JasonZig, By disabling this, your probally disabling the thing that is causing the problem, but not actually fixing the problem. If your on a network, make sure nameservers are correct, it could also be dhcp problems. If my DSL is down, i can tell right away by my slow boots, and long hangs after then finder loads

------------------
-See Yea!

Forum Links
Forum Rules