Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Of OS9 and internet serving.................

Of OS9 and internet serving.................
jcadam
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 02:11 PM

Hey, I have an old beige G3 DT sitting around, which runs OS X like a$$, but runs OS9 beautifully. I was wondering if I could use this machine for a web and email server (I've got DSL w/ a static IP). With the web server, I want to be able to serve CGI/Perl scripts, so I don't know if the built in web sharing will work for this.

Know of any good (and freeware) web and email servers?
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Camelot
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 11:38 PM

The advantage of Mac OS X is that it already comes with a free mail server and web server built in. Unless you're planning on getting tens of thousands of hits a day your G3 will be more than capable of handling the load.

Much of the sluggishness of Mac OS X is in the Aqua User Interface. Neither sendmail nor Apache give two hoots about UI so they're not affected.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Cipher13
Mar 14, 2002, 05:53 AM

I second that - as long as you were planning on just running it as a server and not using it, it'd be completely fine. RAM would be the only issue.

Now, on the OS9 front, there is of course WebSTAR if you're willing to spend some money. Other than that... I don't know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules