Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Alternative OS ?

Alternative OS ?
jasper_db
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2001, 12:35 PM

On the pc you have several diferent OS like , Linux , Unix , Windows and BeOS. But are there alternative OS for the mac ? Not that I don't like the MacOS ( specially with the comming MacOS X) but I just want to know.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2001, 12:50 PM

Linux, Unix, and BeOS all un, or did run at one point in time on the mac. Linux of course runs on PPC macs. Unix, such as FreeBSD runs on PPC mac and A/UX runs on older macs. BeOS before release 3 ran on Macs as well...but they abandoned the Mac and went to the x86 architecture in 1997.

jasper_db  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2001, 01:05 PM

Thanks to the guy above but where can you download linux or other stuff for mac and can I still use it with my macos 9.1

mindwaves
Mar 10, 2001, 01:20 PM

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2001, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by spicyjeff:
Linux, Unix, and BeOS all un, or did run at one point in time on the mac. Linux of course runs on PPC macs. Unix, such as FreeBSD runs on PPC mac and A/UX runs on older macs. BeOS before release 3 ran on Macs as well...but they abandoned the Mac and went to the x86 architecture in 1997.
Actually, BeOS 4 & 5 both exist for PPC. Just no G3 or G4 support. The PPC side of BeOS will die soon though.

Mr_Frost
Mar 18, 2001, 04:48 PM

SuSe Linux is good....been using it for a while now. Installing it might cause some problems tough.

itim55
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2001, 05:41 PM

I have BeOS DR6, Mac OS X Server, and Copland, plus some other OS's. I don't use them, particularly of the problems they can cause. I'm going to get a few older machines to run them, but not now. Too much of a hassle, but I still want to install and run them someday.

------------------
Kato! You have turned my apartment into a..a..Chinese nookie factory!
I know, I know, I'm just a rabid fan.

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2001, 07:13 PM

you can also run window using vertual pc...

Yuri1419
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2001, 10:17 PM

Virtual PC will also run some flavor of Linux. With VPC4 you can have multiple PC environments running, so you could be booted into 9and have Win 98, Win2000, and a flavor of Linux running, if you were so inclined....

DVanDetta
Mar 19, 2001, 11:12 AM

I have a powerbook G3 "Wallstreet" and have a 2 GB partition running Linux PPC 2000. It works terrific. It is a flavor of Red Hat and is pretty simple to install. Check out their website at:
http://www.linuxppc.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules