Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 101)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2015, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think Jawbone was still biggest fan in waiting
Nope.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Don't you mean Hawkeye? Wasn't he the one who bought a PS3 when The Last Guardian was first announced?
Yep.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2015, 07:02 PM

Has anyone played Evolve? I was tempted but the lack of local multiplayer stalled my purchase.

Rumor
Feb 17, 2015, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Has anyone played Evolve? I was tempted but the lack of local multiplayer stalled my purchase.
Games still come with local multiplayer besides the Wii?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2015, 10:25 PM

I've heard nothing but "meh" coming from that game. Nice concept, but it apparently gets very boring.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 18, 2015, 10:17 AM

All the videos I've seen haven't made me want to be any of the players.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 18, 2015, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Nope.

Yep.
I thought you were the big Shadow of Colossus guy

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2015, 01:01 PM

I think you're confusing Shadow of Colossus with Uncharted.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 18, 2015, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I think you're confusing Shadow of Colossus with Uncharted.
To quote someone I used to BF4 with: "That's bullshit!"

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2015, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I feel like it'd be co-op or bust for me buying the game, did you have interest Crosbie?
A lot of folks in my Destiny clan seem to be jumping over to Dying Light. I may pick it up if I can find a deal.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2015, 01:21 PM

To quote someone I used to BF4 with: "That's bullshit!"
Speaking of BF4, I tried a couple of quick matches a few days ago. Lets just say it wasn't pretty. I had to go back to Destiny to get my blood pressure down.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2015, 01:22 PM

I thought you were the big Shadow of Colossus guy
I really liked Shadow of the Colossus, but the potential of Last Guardian wasn't a system-seller for me. My most-loved exclusive series were Uncharted and Infamous, by far.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 18, 2015, 01:24 PM

I really liked Shadow of the Colossus, but the potential of Last Guardian wasn't a system-seller for me.
I never said it was!

**** you people, if I want words put in my mouth, I'll go to the PL!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2015, 01:41 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2015, 03:21 PM

Cities: Skylines (I tried to post this on my iPhone, but it's a horribly tedious process)...

RPS put up a hands-on preview yesterday:

If I have a criticism, it’s that Skylines feels very much like the game I wanted SimCity to be.
Yeah? Yeah!

What it’s lacking, in the early stages at least, is a distinct character of its own.
So, short on personality? Crap...

It didn’t surprise me (perhaps the poo-feeding surprised me) and perhaps it doesn’t need to, but I hope that the late game will break the template a little. There’s cause to believe that will be the case.
Aaaaand, now I'm optimistic again.

This is one of those games that I'm really hoping surprises me. I love city managers, and was deeply disappointed by SimCity.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 18, 2015, 03:42 PM

Fatty and I were briefly reunited for the Mac version and promptly got bored because it still wasn't working quite right.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 18, 2015, 04:07 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2015, 05:41 PM

Fatty and I were briefly reunited for the Mac version and promptly got bored because it still wasn't working quite right.
It's working "right" these days, but the cities are so small that the experience just isn't fulfilling.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 18, 2015, 05:42 PM

It's working "right" these days, but the cities are so small that the experience just isn't fulfilling.
When I say working right, I mean stuff like traffic, commuters, power sharing, tourists...

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2015, 11:20 PM

Been playing Star Citizen. Wow... just... holy frak, it's gorgeous. It doesn't all work, but what does is really amazing.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 19, 2015, 10:45 AM

This is turning to into us vs. them.
Tim Schafer defends Molyneux: “It’s really unfortunate and unfair” | Ars Technica
Gotta have that solidarity!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2015, 02:52 PM

New next-gen trolling
Kid share plays Destiny to stranger... - NeoGAF

First was kinect voice recognition, now Shareplay.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2015, 04:21 PM

Gamasutra: Felipe Pepe's Blog - The Ministry of Hype: The danger of letting the gaming industry curate its own history
Recently I was asked to give a short lesson about CRPG history in a game design class of about 30 students. I started by asking how many had played Skyrim. All raised their hands. Then I asked how many considered themselves to be really hardcore fans of the Elder Scrolls series. About 60% kept their hands raised. The next question: "how many of you played Oblivion"? Now only 20% still has held their hands high. Only two hands remained in the air when I asked about Morrowind, and none at all when I asked about Daggerfall and Arena.
40% of people seem to think loving one game makes you a hardcore fan of the series. I'm not altogether against this logic.

That was not a casual audience. Those were students of a game design school, people who decided to bet their future on gaming. More than half of them had professed to be "hardcore fans of the Elder Scrolls series", yet not a single one had bothered to learn the origins of the series. I'm not talking about watching obscure foreign documentaries or reading huge and rare books - I'm talking about playing games, at the very least trying them out for like 10 minutes. And free games even! - both Arena and Daggerfall are freely available for download at Bethesda's website.

When I confronted them about that, they were somewhat embarrassed, but also claimed that those were old games, that had dated badly and were outclassed by newer releases. Now, let's stop here for a moment.

None of them had ever played Arena or Daggerfall. They don't have any first-hand experience on its gameplay and couldn't come to that conclusion by themselves. So where did that prejudice come from?

Well, from the gaming industry itself.

The good folks at No Mutants Allowed made an interesting article about this back in 2006, when the Fallout 3 previews began to appear. Although the press had loved The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - 94 on Metacritic -, less then a year later they had come up with a wave of new-found criticisms, of things they now considered broken in Oblivion and supposedly fixed in Fallout 3. I quote:

Nobody can look inside the heads of those reviewers, but why suddenly identify flaws in Oblivion now rather than a year ago, when it would still have mattered for opinion forming? Did they need a year to find these flaws? Do they not dare to criticize the game that early? Or can they only see flaws when they have something superior to compare it to?

And is this the future that awaits Fallout 3? When the TES V previews pop up, will they read "No more clunky character animations like in Fallout 3" or "No more childish aborted attempts at humor like in Fallout 3" or "This time, quest solutions really matter!" One thing is for sure, the gaming media is better at praising than they are at criticizing, since it takes them a one-hour demo to praise a game to high heavens, but a year to find flaws in a game once released.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Feb 20, 2015, 04:54 PM

This is the point of the "Living With" series that began this week. I've done game reviews over at a mac-centric game site in the past, and the short time we'd actually have to play, and write, about a title rankles. A week isn't enough to find issues, sometimes.

Not relevant you say? Up this weekend for "Living With"? Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2015, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
Not relevant you say?
I do not say.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2015, 05:44 PM

Posting this to hopefully revisit when I have more time.
Why People Are Making The AI Fight Itself In Civilization | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

P
Feb 21, 2015, 07:07 AM

Posting this to hopefully revisit when I have more time.
Why People Are Making The AI Fight Itself In Civilization | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Civ V is a bad game to do this with, as its AI is infamously terrible. CIv IV is better, but the max map size makes European Civs choke on each other (the game includes Civs from countries with enough buying power to buy the game, so Europe is full and then some). If you really want to see this done right, look up a Paradox Megathread (Crusader Kings II -> Europa Universalis IV -> Victoria II). Usually someone plays, but it is an AI vs AI on most of the planet, as you can't affect things in eg Southeast Asia when you're a medevial lord in Europe. I did one myself, as the Byzantines conquering all of Africa, and it was quite fun seeing how everyone else did in areas I didn't bother with.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Feb 21, 2015, 07:21 AM

Gamasutra: Felipe Pepe's Blog - The Ministry of Hype: The danger of letting the gaming industry curate its own history

40% of people seem to think loving one game makes you a hardcore fan of the series. I'm not altogether against this logic.
He is picking his examples carefully, though. ES:Arena is a cult game that sold poorly on release (it was initially a gladiator game redesigned during development, and has more than its share of quirks because of that). For many years it was extremely hard to find. Dangerfall is simply broken - most dungeons cannot be completed without exploiting clipping errors. I'm all for digging through the old games pile and discovering things I haven't played, but those two I won't ever bother with.

As for strategy games, playing a game from the nineties is hard because you need to read the paper manual - which you probably don't have. There is usually no built-in help, and if there is, it is a massive text file to read at 320*240. Modern games are easy to get in to, mostly because of mouseover hints on all buttons. If you're used to that, you're not going to dive in to the original XCOM or its successors, because you will just lose - badly. Those games are hard if you know what you're doing, much harder than modern games, and if you don't even understand what the buttons do, much less the mechanics, you are not going to last long enough to learn anything.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2015, 05:50 PM

'Modern' Game design has no need to play 20 year old games just like modern application design doesn't need to know how applications were designed in the early 90s.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2015, 01:17 PM

Sony boss raises specter of delays to squelch concerns about the condition games are being currently released in. Scaremongering.
PS4 boss Jim Ryan 2015 interview – 'we've learnt an awful lot from the Driveclub experience' | Metro News
GC: In terms of third party though is there anything that you are willing to do? Because it’s not uncommon to hear stories of some indie downloadable title being delayed by a few months because it failed Sony QA, and it’s usually minor things like how their save screen works or something. And you think, ‘Well, that’s a shame but at least it shows that Sony’s QA is fairly rigorous’. But if you can be so pedantic about that sort of thing surely ‘Does it work?’ is the first thing you check for!

JR: It is very hard for us to QA the online expedience of a third party game…

GC: What about Assassin’s Creed Unity then? That’s primarily single-player and its problems were blindingly obvious the second you started playing.

JR: When a third party multiplayer game runs on the servers of that third party publishers, you’ll understand it’s virtually impossible for us to QA that online experience.

GC: Are there any financial penalties you can levy at them? Because it’s your name on the box too you know.

JR:

GC: From seeing it at a preview it was obvious to me a couple of months out that Unity wasn’t going to be properly finished for its release date, so it should have been obvious to you as well.

JR: You’re straying into the realm of conversations between publisher and platform holder that should remain private.

GC: And presumably that conversation was you saying ‘Does it work?’ and them answering with [starts winking and miming taking a bribe].

JR: No! No, no, no!

GC: Well, what happened then? If everyone reviewing the game noticed these horrendous bugs after just five minutes of playtime how did you miss it? You’re happy to put your foot down with little indie developers but because it was a big publisher apparently those rules are ignored.

JR: [deep breath] Ah, yeah. Well, it wasn’t just offline, there were…

GC: The co-op was a minor part of that game, and was not one of the issues most people were upset about. 10 minutes into Unity and I was controlling a flying apple instead of the main character. There was no way anyone involved in that game didn’t know the state it was in when it shipped. All they cared about was hitting their deadline. And by association you were okay with that, you were part of the conversation that said, ‘Ah, who cares? You can fix it later…’

JR: No! I… I think… let’s move on.

GC: OK, but that’s not an unfair question. I’m not misrepresenting anything there.

JR: It’s not an unfair question. But these games are now so big and complex that to test everything…

GC: I think everyone appreciates that. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t wait until the game works before releasing it.

JR: I’m saying the format holder overlay… if we were to test absolutely everything, it could take months.
---

GC: I get that completely, but it was just a prime example of PSN being less stable than Xbox Live. Would you accept that it has that reputation? And that it’s also missing key features such as friend notifications?

JR: No, I don’t necessarily accept much of that you know. I’d say we’re working constantly…

GC: Would you say it is as reliable as Xbox Live?

JR: [pauses] I’d say we’re constantly working to make it better, we’re introducing new features, such as Share Play… do you see anything else like that elsewhere?

GC: No, it’s a very good feature, but you should have got the foundations right first.

JR: In your opinion. And in your opinion the foundations are not solid, and that’s, again, a subjective opinion.
(BS, reliability can be easily quantified)

---

GC: Perhaps, but here I’m not ranting to a fellow journo, I’m talking to someone that can actually do something about these issues. You could go into a meeting today and make it a part of QA policy that you can’t have a day one patch bigger than whatever MB. That would instantly improve the gaming experience of everyone that uses a PS4. There’s no way of denying that.

JR: Yeah, it could also result in certain games being delayed for, let’s say, three or four months.

GC: Good! It might also result in games being delayed to the point where they actually work and have a degree of polish to them.

JR: What you’re talking about is an industry phenomenon, right?

GC: Oh, absolutely. But I’m talking to you as an industry leader, with an important role at the leading console manufacture in the industry.

JR: I think patching has a reasonable role to play, when it’s used to address bugs that are found at the last minute, right? You don’t disagree?

GC: No, no. That’s perfectly reasonable.

JR: But as a surrogate, or a safety net, for a proper QA process I agree that things are maybe swinging too far in that direction. And certainly, as regards our own games, we’re gonna tighten up.

GC: So something definitely has changed since last year?

JR: Yeah.

GC: Why can’t you do something about third parties as well? You force other standards on them, as we discussed.

JR: Would you rather the game was delayed six months?

GC: Yes. Or, I’d rather they gave it a realistic release date in the first place.

JR: Again, you’re expressing a personal opinion. There are many people who would be… who are quite happy to wait a small period of time while a patch downloads, rather than wait six months for the game to appear.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2015, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Civ V is a bad game to do this with, as its AI is infamously terrible.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that's the entire reason its caught on. The reddit is full of people posting picks of the AIs strange behavior. What AI only games do is allow you to pull the sole voice of reason out of the game and watch the AI dryhump itself into oblivion. Watch as instead of antagonizing you, it antagonizes everyone else, and you get to watch the fallout play out. Its basically watching a car crash in slow motion, and there's no collateral damage.

Plus, I'm sure there's an aspect of trying to figure out who's going to win from the early game. The Civ that accrues ire early but somehow muddles through endless wars, the civ that was doing well until one mistake got it obliterated, etc., etc.

P
Feb 23, 2015, 04:54 PM

Ah, more slapstick fans than history geeks. OK, I guess that that makes sense.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2015, 05:00 PM

Also, possibly who's special abilities are best. That's always some fun discussion. Plus, match-ups. Shaka is fav of course (I think I've seen 16 AI all-Shaka games)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2015, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
'Modern' Game design has no need to play 20 year old games just like modern application design doesn't need to know how applications were designed in the early 90s.
I don't agree. It'd be like saying modern cinema has nothing to gain from looking at 1950s films. You don't look at all of them, look at the best.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2015, 12:39 PM

I don't agree. It'd be like saying modern cinema has nothing to gain from looking at 1950s films. You don't look at all of them, look at the best.
What is best? Best-selling? Played the most? Do you suggest in 20 years that game designers should play Minecraft or Angry Birds? Did the developers of these 2 games look at games from 20 years ago?

I don't know how to explain myself properly here, but I have an issue with the tech and its culture / art-form mix that does not let me use the movie/painting/music analogy for computer games.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2015, 12:53 PM

What is best? Best-selling? Played the most?
So angry. How about critically lauded? Those that endure and are still returned to after 20 years.

Let me put it this way – 3D is better than 2D, right? Polygons better than pixels? So why do we have a resurgence of 2D sprite games? Are none of them actually good?

Color film is superior to black and white film, and yet black and white photos don't go away. Why is that?

P
Feb 24, 2015, 02:38 PM

I think Rockstar is just trolling now.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2015, 02:50 PM

Heists in two weeks tho

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2015, 05:14 PM

So angry.
No. MacNN Gaming News doesn't anger me. These forums are a distraction from things that make me angry.

How about critically lauded? Those that endure and are still returned to after 20 years.
Thats Game Design History. Not the same subject as Game Design. Would you like them (the students) to limit themselves to 1K of RAM? 2K? Have no hard drive?

A demonstration of the old Elder Scrolls games to the students might provoke some thought, but nobody should cry because these students didn't play those same games.

Let me put it this way – 3D is better than 2D, right?
For what? A platformer? No. For a top-down shoot-em up? No. For an FPS, yes.

Polygons better than pixels? So why do we have a resurgence of 2D sprite games? Are none of them actually good?
Are we having a resurgence because some devs just didn't care about how they made their game, but focused on the gameplay, not following historical advances but wanted story, or ease of development or whatever? I have no idea, but I hear this same sort of argument (learn your history) as a sort of seatbelt + airbag + crash-helmet excuse for "the pesky young'uns" who just wanna do things their own way.

It seems snobbish to me.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2015, 05:25 PM

I have no idea, but I hear this same sort of argument (learn your history) as a sort of seatbelt + airbag + crash-helmet excuse for "the pesky young'uns" who just wanna do things their own way.
Jesus, this is self-explanatory. "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."

It seems snobbish to me.
Funny, because thinking you're above learning things reeks of arrogance.

P
Feb 25, 2015, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Didn't see this here, but it's big news for PC gaming. SLI & Crossfire rigs will get a memory boost? Looks that way. New revisions to low-level APIs, specifically in Mantle and DX12, will allow you to access all of your video memory in multi GPU setups. It's about time!
A little bit more on this here:

Exclusive: DirectX 12 Will Allow Multi-GPU Between GeForce And Radeon

Basically, DirectX 12 will implement multi-GPU support directly in the API as opposed to in the driver as it is now, which means that the smartest way to use that is to use SFR. As theorized above, that appears to be how they make better use of the memory. It also means that there is no requirement to use identical cards - you can apparently use one from AMD and one from nVidia, even.

It will be very interesting how this plays out. nVidia purposefully disables SLI between cards that differ in even the most minute respect, disables PhysX if they even detect an AMD card in the system, and famously sabotages PhysX if you try to run it on a CPU - I can't see them accepting this.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2015, 02:30 PM

Jesus, this is self-explanatory. "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."
Great quote, one that I agree with BUT how in a game design course would playing 100 hours of Elder Scrolls 1 and then 100 hours of Elder Scrolls 2, and then ... help with designing a modern game when you have in fact played the latest version of Elder Scrolls (Skyrim)? Where is the cut-off, where is the balance? Must we play the Top 10 or Top 20 'best' games?

Funny, because thinking you're above learning things reeks of arrogance.
Also agree, but there's that fine line again. You don't want to be 'tainted' too much by what happened in the past. You want new and improved AND different, not just DLC-like (Hardline and CoDs for example).

I'd love to know what the great game designers think.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 26, 2015, 02:40 PM

Great quote, one that I agree with BUT how in a game design course would playing 100 hours of Elder Scrolls 1 and then 100 hours of Elder Scrolls 2
Let em guess – no one is actually calling for people to put 100 hours in on each, you just pulled that number out the make it sound horrible.

Must we play the Top 10 or Top 20 'best' games?
It makes sense. Who becomes a director without watching the best films of all-time?

You don't want to be 'tainted' too much by what happened in the past.
There's something I've never heard before. Tainted by the past. Do you have examples of this? Hypotheses?

P
Feb 26, 2015, 03:36 PM

I don't think playing 100 hours of such a game makes sense, but a couple might be interesting. Now, as I said, the example is chosen carefully, as ES:Arena was hard to get hold of for a long time and Daggerfall is famously broken, but it does make sense to play an older game sometimes. Among strategy games, there was for a long time a trend towards ever more complex games, with ever smaller markets. There it clearly helped to go back to games like the first Civ and MoO for some ideas.

Many times a genre is controlled by idiosyncracies in one successful game. For years RTS games looked like Starcraft, not because it was the best way to do it., but because everyone had played Starcraft so they knew how to play that game. At that point, it might help to go back to that games early competitors to see what else might work, and work better. In this example, Starcraft beat the Command&Conquer series because it was better balanced, but C&C honestly had a better interface for many things.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 26, 2015, 03:37 PM

MW2 and perks is another example.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 26, 2015, 05:53 PM

I have to add, having read a few more lately, it's not all slapstick. There is definitely a "what-if" factor, as well as something more user specific – the ability to weave a story or create a drama as events unfold. Because of the AIs quality, it has endless ability to surprise us in positive ways as well. Or certain civs can reaffirm our beliefs that their abilities are too good and to weak, watching their performance.

P
Feb 26, 2015, 06:17 PM

Someone should show those people a Paradox Mega-LP. That what-if factor and interactive storytelling are exactly what makes them so interesting.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2015, 01:59 AM

I gave this quiz to my wife. For someone who doesn't play video games, I was pretty impressed she got 6 right...

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2015, 02:02 AM

Inflation... yeah. Not surprised 3DO and Neo Geo were on the top of that list, but Atari 2600 and Intellivision? Wow!

P
Feb 27, 2015, 05:27 AM

Interesting. All the generation winners except the Wii and the SNES round to $400 after inflation adjustment. Sweet spot.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2015, 02:15 PM

There's something I've never heard before. Tainted by the past. Do you have examples of this? Hypotheses?
In Application development : Thick client, 2 tier, resource management, where security is. etc

We went from a dumb client world to a thick client world to a web served world to application servers, to externalizing security in active directory in my short IT career. Just in databases we went from heirarchical (like IMS) to relational and now we're being pushed to NoSQL.

Forum Links
Forum Rules