Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 51)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 15, 2013, 04:00 PM

EA retiring Playfish Facebook games [update] | Joystiq

SimCity Social, The Sims Social, and Pet Society are going offline on June 14, EA announced this morning. The three Playfish Facebook games are being retired after player counts and activity fell off, EA said. Today's news means all of Playfish's Facebook games, according to the EA subsidiary's website, have either shut down or are scheduled to - with the exception of Madden Social 13, which an EA press release notes as developed by EA Tiburon.

EA bought Playfish for $300 million in 2009 before signing a "strategic" five year deal with Facebook in 2010.
Weird, so many people said social facebook games were the future and console players were dinosaurs. Somewhere, PC players are nodding knowingly.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 16, 2013, 02:47 PM

This AI “solves” Super Mario Bros. and other classic NES games | Ars Technica

Lexicographic ordering is a pretty simple mathematical technique used to determine the best order a set of values should come in. It's most commonly used in libraries or dictionaries for arranging books and words, for instance, with the alphabet determining the order of the letters.

Murphy created two programs, LearnFun and PlayFun, and began recording himself playing the first level (world 1-1) of Super Mario Bros. The NES puts out 60 frames of 2048 bytes per second, and each of these was fed into LearnFun. Everything in the NES's memory—the buttons being pressed, the number of lives left, the score, the locations of enemies, Mario's position as coordinates, and so on—is taken in by the LearnFun algorithm.

PlayFun then plays the game, and uses the knowledge from LearnFun to try and increase the values it knows it has to increase—Mario's score, and how far scrolled to the right Mario is in the level. "It's trying to find the sequence of inputs to make those values go up in the RAM," Murphy explains in the video.

The results are impressive. After some tweaking, Mario plays the first level just like a real person, jumping on enemies like Goombas and hitting boxes for coins. The program even learns how to take advantage of bugs and glitches, like timing jumps so that Mario begins falling again at the exact time that he makes contact with a Goomba. Mario's invincible when he's falling, so the touch kills the Goomba, not Mario, and it gives him a further jump boost.
The future of QC (albeit a long ways off)?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2013, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The future of QC (albeit a long ways off)?
Cheaper to sell the game and get idiots like us to 'test' it.

Wasn't this a quote from War Games?

In Tetris, though, the method fails completely. It seeks out the easiest path to a higher score, which is laying bricks on top of one another randomly. Then, when the screen fills up, the AI pauses the game. As soon as it unpauses, it'll lose—as Murphy says, "the only way to the win the game is not to play."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 16, 2013, 04:47 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 17, 2013, 10:18 AM

The PA Report - Screw the game, SimCity has become a cynically brilliant advertising platform
Make your Sims smile with the Attractions Set—five fun tourist hot spots that will not only make your Sims happy, but bring in more tourists. If you want to plop these playful attractions in your city, you need to be located in the United States and you’ll also need to purchase a specially marked Crest or Oral-B product to receive a code good for all five attractions.
This is why I have such a deep loathing for EA at the moment. It's not that you get neat stuff for buying a certain brand of toothpaste, it's that the game seems designed around these sponsorship deals and monetization strategies. It doesn't feel like EA and Maxis sat down and tried to create the very best version of SimCity possible, it feels like they designed the game that would be the easiest to control, monetize, and sell to advertisers.

EA isn't just selling games to players, they're selling players to advertisers. And it's not just a passive advertisement, as the only way to get to this content is to actively go to the store and buy a certrain brand of product. That, in many ways, feels worse to me. Cities filled with ads are actually realistic, as real-life cities are filled with billboards and screens. This is something else, and it's in ever worse taste considering the problems the game has faced since launch.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2013, 10:16 PM

An unnamed sequel to Zelda: A Link To The Past announced for the 3DS!

Set to be released this holiday season.

Awesome!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2013, 02:55 AM

I liked the trailer on the on the Nintendo eShop much!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2013, 06:17 AM

We're looking at a one year turn around, right? I feel like games should take a cue from movie and stop this yearly bullshit. Rotate out IPs, jackasses.
You were saying?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2013, 07:51 AM

The 3DS XL Circle Pad Pro is totally happening.

Circle Pad Pro accessory will ruin your Nintendo 3DS XL's silhouette for $20
Nintendo: Online Store - Product Detail
Twenty Dollars, if you're into that kind of thing.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Yeah, that's pretty sad as well. Is Disney hard up for money or something?

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
The 3DS XL Circle Pad Pro is totally happening.
Sadly predictable.

P
Apr 18, 2013, 09:15 AM

Yeah, that's pretty sad as well. Is Disney hard up for money or something?
One movie a year has worked quite well for some franchises. If they set it up so they record scenes for more than one movie at the same time, they can make it quite efficient.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2013, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
One movie a year has worked quite well for some franchises. If they set it up so they record scenes for more than one movie at the same time, they can make it quite efficient.
All pretty recent, too, right? Off the top of my head, LOTR, Twilight, Harry Potter (kinda) Hunger Games?

P
Apr 18, 2013, 10:00 AM

Those were the ones that crossed my mind, yes - except for Hunger Games, didn't think of that one. Disney also used this for movie 2 and 3 in Pirates of the Caribbean. I guess it works partially because the production period after the filming is so long, cutting and making effects, so one can shoot material for both movies and then produce them sequentially.

Also notable that many of these did not use any of the biggest stars, which should help with scheduling. Noone from Twilight was known before the movies. LOTR had quality actors, but not exactly stars, and several of the better known were only present for short periods of shooting (at least Liv Tyler, Sean Bean, Cate Blanchett). Never bothered with the Harry Potter movies, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were organised the same (and likely also shot on soundstages in England rather than a deserted area of New Zeeland).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2013, 10:03 AM

Still, my point remains – Disney bought Lucasfilm and is eager to milk the everloving shit out of it. I know they're famous for their direct-to-DVD sequels, but this is a whole new level.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2013, 10:48 AM

If there's ever a person who knows how to wear out a franchise, it would be JJ Abrams. They wore out Star Trek on TV. Throwing out 2 TV series a year and then Enterprise. Of course I think it was all that stupid time travel story line in Enterprise that killed it. People got sick of Star Trek.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

P
Apr 18, 2013, 10:53 AM

Time Travel has a tendency to kill any long-running storyline.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2013, 10:56 AM

Time travel is a hackneyed premise which should be used sparingly, doubly so given that it almost always ends in a predestination paradox.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
All pretty recent, too, right? Off the top of my head, LOTR, Twilight, Harry Potter (kinda) Hunger Games?
Dunno how to word this, but if there's demand for a yearly Star Wars story, then wouldn't it be more appropriate to do some sort of Game of Thrones type scenario? Say 10 or 12 episodes?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2013, 11:23 AM

Dunno how to word this, but if there's demand for a yearly Star Wars story, then wouldn't it be more appropriate to do some sort of Game of Thrones type scenario? Say 10 or 12 episodes?
The money just isn't there, I imagine.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2013, 12:14 PM

Impressions: Oculus Rift dev kits ready to bring virtual reality to the masses | Ars Technica

For one, the Rift is now making use of a big 7" diagonal display, up from the 5.6" display found on prototypes. While the early units provided a roughly 110 degree viewing range, the new display is enough to cover my entire field of vision, even when I shift my eyes left or right to try and make out the edges of the view. The new display also provides smoother pixel switching than earlier demos did, resulting in less blurring and streaking when I move my head about. I'm told that there was about a 60 millisecond delay between an input and the resulting pixels on the demo running on an Nvidia 680 graphics card.

These improvements came at some expense to the weight of the unit, which is now 90 grams heavier than it was before the screen was expanded. Frankly, I didn't find the added mass to be distracting. Putting the unit on feels comparable to donning a pair of sleek ski goggles. After a quick adjustment with some twistable knobs, I was able to get rid of an annoying nose pinch and I found it quite easy to forget the unit was on my head at all.
I usually have to close my eyes and blink away a headache after a few minutes of looking at a simulated 3D image on a screen, whether it's shown with or without glasses. I didn't have this problem with the Rift, though, possibly because each eye was actually getting a distinct, unfiltered image. There were no interference or flickering issues that often show up when using in 3D glasses or pixel-grated LCD displays.

The result is an incredible sense of apparent distance between the surrounding cockpit and the buildings in the hazy distance. It only gets more convincing thanks to the excellent head tracking, which refused to get confused no matter how fast or oddly I shook my head about. It all combines into an amazing sense of freedom and immersion when I flew into the air with a jet pack, and a strong sense of vertigo as I went into free fall and saw the ground rushing up to meet my feet.

Unfortunately, the Hawken demo also highlighted what's currently the biggest problem with the Rift: resolution. The 1280×800 display sounds decent enough for a 7" screen. But when that display is sitting just a few inches from your face—and split down the middle into separate images for both eyes—it doesn't quite cut it. The short viewing distance makes it pretty easy to make out individual pixels, including the thin black lines that surround each one. People used to retina displays and high-def PC monitors will probably find everything just a little bit muddy. This is more than a purely cosmetic concern, too; when I looked down at my cockpit in Hawken, the ammunition readout looked like a blurry, unreadable blob. When I took off the headset briefly and looked at the source image on the monitor in front of me, however, it was crystal clear.
This is a future gaming technology I can get into. I don't think the tech/price is there for even mid next gen, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it made it into something like the PS5.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2013, 02:36 PM

That reminds me of this.

Patton Oswalt's Star Wars Filibuster - Parks and Recreation - YouTube

****ing brillant.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2013, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Brilliant? No doubt about it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2013, 08:43 AM

The money just isn't there, I imagine.
From Wikipedia :

The budget of Game of Thrones has been compared to that of the TV series Rome.[17] The pilot reportedly cost HBO between US$5 and 10 million,[16] and the total budget for the first season has been estimated at US$50–60 million.[18] In the second season, the show obtained a 15% increase in budget in order to be able to stage the most important battle in the "clash of kings," the civil war that is the season's focus.[19]
That's nothing compared to (for example) The Avengers budget of $220.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2013, 06:59 PM

A quarter of which went into RDJ's pocket. I'm not complaining, but stuff gets expensive when you have entrenched players involved.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2013, 08:04 PM

You're adorable. I was talking about profit, not funding.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
A quarter of which went into RDJ's pocket. I'm not complaining, but stuff gets expensive when you have entrenched players involved.
Damn! Talk about a come-back. I'll admit I like the guy, dunno if he's a dick or not but he seems to have straightened himself out.

EDIT : just found this : http://screenrant.com/robert-downey-...-niall-172173/

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2013, 08:16 AM

P
Apr 20, 2013, 10:52 AM

Damn! Talk about a come-back. I'll admit I like the guy, dunno if he's a dick or not but he seems to have straightened himself out.

EDIT : just found this : Robert Downey Jr. to Earn $50 Million from ‘The Avengers’
Yes, I get the impression that his crazy days are behind him. I think he follows the formula of some other successful stars - make a few big name movies now to make money, and then burn it shooting narrower things (e.g Clooney). He's so consistently bankable that he can probably name his terms right now. That never lasts, but why not milk it while you can?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2013, 10:28 AM

The Power Of Silence: Why The SimCity Story Went Away | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

In March, shortly after SimCity’s disastrous launch (servers couldn’t cope, the game barely ran, features had to be removed, and the always-on DRM was seriously crippling the game), EA and Maxis’ PR went into damage protection mode. And one refrain we saw over and over was a line from Maxis’ studio head, Lucy Bradshaw, that the ‘single-player’ game had to “offload a significant amount of the calculations to our servers.”

On 12th March, RPS revealed that this statement simply wasn’t true. Via a source from inside Maxis, we learned that the server was doing no such thing, and that the calculations were running on the player’s PC. Two days later these claims were confirmed by a modder who had the game running indefinitely offline. It was clear that the message coming from Maxis simply wasn’t true.
So how did EA or Maxis handle this situation? With silence.

And if simply telling the truth isn’t considered an available option, silence is by far the most effective response in this industry.
Not reporting the story couldn’t be immediately dismissed as capitulation, being in the pocket of EA, cowardliness, etc. (Not that it excludes it, of course.) What most sites would have done was immediately fire off an email to EA and Maxis asking for them to provide comment. We, of course, had done the same. And here’s where the power of silence played its first part.

EA and Maxis simply ignored all those emails. Sites may have received a, “We’re waiting for a response,” from their regional PRs, but that was it. And so if you’re running GamePow.com, and you’ve decided you can’t run RPS’s story without giving EA a response, ta-da – no story on GamePow. And EA knows that.
I've been meaning to say, for all the revelation the perpetual off-line debug mode was, I'm somewhat surprised no one has gotten any further in giving SimCity a proper offline mode since.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2013, 02:43 PM

I forgot to mention the lead online dev for SimCity resigned. He sounds upbeat, so I'm guessing he got out of a shit situation.

P
Apr 24, 2013, 03:29 PM

MS will reveal the successor to the Xbox 360 on May 21st. Also, some more of the remains of THQ got snapped up by various, notably Homeworld, but I'm not sure anyone cares.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 24, 2013, 03:35 PM

People on NeoGAF seemed very unhappy about Homeworld going to Gearbox.

May 21st was already the rumored but unconfirmed date, wasn't it?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2013, 04:19 PM

People on NeoGAF are never happy.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 24, 2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
People on NeoGAF are never happy.
There's vocal discontent about everything, yeah. I would cite the huge userbase as part of the problem though.

MacNN just has Freudling.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2013, 05:26 PM

mattyb just has Freudling on ignore.

Message too short, WTF?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 25, 2013, 11:11 AM

How soon until I can play GTA with this?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2013, 01:55 PM

Forgot to post this.
CW app lets you watch Vampire Diaries, Arrow on Xbox 360 | Joystiq
Didn't give a shit til I realize Who's Line will be returning on this network.

Edit: Also Nintendo announced they aren't holding the traditional big press event this year.

At E3 this year, we are not planning to launch new hardware, and our main activity at E3 will be to announce and have people experience our software. Many people are certainly very interested in learning more about the Wii U titles that we are going to announce. We will use E3 as an ideal opportunity to talk in detail mainly about the Wii U titles that we are going to launch this year, and we also plan to make it possible for visitors to try the games immediately. As a brand new challenge, we are working to establish a new presentation style for E3.

First, we decided not to host a large-scale presentation targeted at everyone in the international audience where we announce new information as we did in the past.
Instead, at the E3 show this year, we are planning to host a few smaller events that are specifically focused on our software lineup for the U.S. market. There will be one closed event for American distributors, and we will hold another closed hands-on experience event, for mainly the Western gaming media. Also, I did not speak at last year’s presentation, and I am not planning to speak at these events at the E3 show this year either. Apart from these exclusive events for visitors, we are continuing to investigate ways to deliver information about our games directly to our home audience around the time of E3. We will share more information about them once they have officially been decided.
For a company whose latest console is being viewed as stagnating I'm not sure low key demos is the right strategy.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2013, 02:41 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2013, 02:45 PM

Saw yesterday. Infiinity Ward logo. Now I'm curious what it is exactly that Neversoft is up to.

P
Apr 30, 2013, 08:55 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 30, 2013, 12:21 PM

So Respawns game looks to be XBOX exclusive (both) according to rumors.

Oh and Activison has a joblisting for microtransactions to work on Destiny.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2013, 04:10 PM

Oh and Activison has a joblisting for microtransactions to work on Destiny.
That's not good.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2013, 05:27 PM

So Respawns game looks to be XBOX exclusive (both) according to rumors.
The always-online game is also said to "compete directly with Gears of War and Halo," which is obviously the type of game that Microsoft's consoles have always lacked...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 1, 2013, 09:57 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 1, 2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The always-online game is also said to "compete directly with Gears of War and Halo," which is obviously the type of game that Microsoft's consoles have always lacked...
By the same token, its also called knowing your audience.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2013, 03:22 PM

By the same token, its also called knowing your audience.
I absolutely agree.

These guys...

...and this guy.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 1, 2013, 03:24 PM

Way to use a pic of a kid using a GameCube controller. ****ing genius.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2013, 03:25 PM

And to be fair, this guy (points to self).

At least from...

Spring 2007 - Spring 2008
Winter 2009 - Fall 2010
and
Spring 2011 - Spring 2013

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 2, 2013, 10:59 AM

If you thought the Wii had it bad with third party games...

Madden Skipping Wii U in 2013 - News - Nintendo World Report
The Madden series will not be appearing on Wii U in 2013, according to an EA Sports representative.

After speculation that the system would miss out on this year's Madden NFL 25, it is now confirmed that the series will skip Nintendo platforms for the first time since 1991.

Last year, a version of Madden NFL 13 came out for both Wii and Wii U. The Nintendo 64, GameCube, and Wii all had versions of Madden throughout their lives. In 2011, the 3DS launched with a version of Madden, and after that, EA confirmed that the series was not appearing on Nintendo's portable again.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2013, 01:22 PM

@TFD
They completely botched the release.
-No compelling exclusive software or service to get people to pick up the box
-The name has been misunderstood by their intended audience
-Abysmal marketing
-Unnecessarily complicated controller. (Even Nintendo hasn't shown me any compelling reason for it).

With third parties, its a chicken-n-egg problem......console sales get support. But console sales, specifically for Nintendo are generated by first party AAA titles (not B titles).

I have to admit, If they had a *real* new Mario game when the WiiU launched, I would have picked one up. But alas, even this year, all they can muster up is a remake of a 10-year-old Zelda game (WW).

If Sony was wasting its time with motion and 3D, Nintendo has been wasting it's time(and resources) on things like 'MiiVerse', the TV control thing, and a host of other crappy software initiatives, instead of focusing.

Gamers tend to say the GameCube was a failure, it wasn't. It's probably the best gaming console i've owned. It launched with a Mario title and had compelling exclusives (Rogue Squadron, Metroid Prime, RE4,etc...). The WiiU however, has none of those aspects going for it.

What worries me, is the fact that they will be having a low-key E3... it could be because they will be overshadowed by the other two. But I feel it's because they have nothing worth showing(software) to justify spending on a keynote.

Forum Links
Forum Rules