Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 94)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2014, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Get used to that. That's pretty much how all new games are. Your best to throw the disk in the machine before supper and let it install while you eat.
I don't think I've had an install take more than 5 minutes. And all of them let me play before they were done. At least Sony nailed that.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2014, 01:34 PM

Judging by his lust for the Destiny PS4 I think he has a fetish for white consoles.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2014, 01:50 PM

Don't mistake his playing with friends for lust for a game.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2014, 02:32 PM

They're adding first person view to GTA V

HNNNNNNNNNG

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2014, 03:27 PM

Rockstar Just Made <em>Grand Theft Auto V</em> a First-Person Shooter on Next-Gen | Gizmodo UK
All the game's vehicles – which, on next gen, now include all the DLC-added ones – have had their interiors redone for the first-person cockpit view, too. All the dials work, all the material is stitched (if that's your thing) and a click of the right analogue glances back to see who's chasing you/chilling in your motor/what bridge you just choppered over. In gunfights, it scopes in for a better shot as you'd like, too.
There are other nice, format-specific tweaks, too: phone calls and police radio crackle out of the DualShock 4's speaker; swipes of the touch panel change weapon (up/down) and radio station (left/right); the light bar flashes red and blue when you have Wanted stars.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2014, 04:15 PM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2014, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
So… you like Sunset Overdrive?
Anything must be better than the NASCAR game he's currently playing.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2014, 05:01 PM

So does this mean we're all getting GTA 5 for the PS4 now?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2014, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
It's not a racing game.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2014, 01:43 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2014, 01:46 PM

The cars on the highway

Malcolm Owen
Nov 5, 2014, 02:20 PM

That looks mighty fine... I can feel my bank account weeping at the prospect of getting a current-gen console, just for visuals like that...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2014, 04:17 PM

102 New Features Delivered in Xbox One’s First Year - NeoGAF

All The Ways Activision Is Avoiding Saying What Destiny Actually Sold
Destiny, a video game in which players travel through the galaxy and battle against random loot tables, is by most accounts a commercial success. But two months after release, publisher Activision still won't say how many copies they've actually sold.
With that in mind, it's fun to look at what they actually will send out. So here is a list of Things They'll Talk About Besides What Destiny Actually Sold.
What Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg Said Yesterday On An Earnings Call When An Analyst Asked How Many Copies They Had Actually Sold

First of all, I think by any measure Destiny's off to a great start. As I mentioned, we were the largest new franchise launch of all time, and despite the large investment... or maybe because of that large investment, we were able to be profitable from day one. And we think it's only a matter of time now before it becomes our next billion-dollar franchise. I also mentioned the pretty incredible engagement numbers. The average player is investing over three hours of gameplay per day, and to date we have 9.5 million registered users.

Of course that's a relationship to sell-through, it's not exact, because some people have more than one identity. But obviously that's directional. So it's a highly-engaged audience that is hungry for more content. And when we've had that, we think we've been good at providing them with more content to satisfy that demand, which we're planning on doing on December 9 with our first expansion pack.

And I also mentioned that we're also already underway on our next full game releases. So we've got a great pipeline of content, a great plan, a great development partner with Bungie, and we're very bullish on Destiny.
The industry is insane. Best new selling IP ever and they won't talk numbers. If they wouldn't obfuscate this stuff maybe companies wouldn't have such ridiculous sales expectations. How bad could it be, really?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2014, 05:00 PM

Have you noticed a drop off of Destiny players on your friends list now that COD: AW is out?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2014, 05:04 PM

Have you noticed a drop off of Destiny players on your friends list now that COD: AW is out?
Slight. I see Adam's crew is a little more active as I don't think they were playing Destiny lately and now they picked up CoD.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2014, 07:54 PM

Of course that's a relationship to sell-through, it's not exact, because some people have more than one identity. But obviously that's directional.
WTF does this actually mean?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2014, 01:00 AM

I think most people are tired of COD. I bought the last one and played through the story, and then played a few online games, and moved on. I still think COD:MW 1 or 2 was the best. A Destiny player I was talking to said the first Black Ops was the best.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2014, 09:41 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2014, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
WTF does this actually mean?
He's trying to pretend that one copy being played by multiple people is a significant percentage of players.

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...sallgamergate/

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2014, 10:04 AM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2014, 01:39 PM

I'm not reading it. Too much noise.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2014, 04:27 PM

I'm not reading it. Too much noise.
I gave up 5 posts in.

I don't even know what it's about and I probably don't want to know. I guess I don't keep up on the game news enough.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2014, 12:43 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2014, 01:10 PM

It's been too long since the Wii was shit on.
http://www.segabastard.com/rub/nintendowoes.html
This was the change in gaming, we were told, that was needed to save the "dying" videogames industry. Despite how long the games industry has now been thriving, and growing, its doom is still constantly predicted. But the initial success of the Wii machine caused many to assume it was a self-evident industry savior most of us had been too stupid to realize we needed.
I think the games business attracts a unique type of brash ignorance. In every other industry, businesses are praised for listening to their customers. Only in the games industry does that draw criticism. Only in the games industry does "ignoring your best customers" draw such inept ovations.

Lost in the adrenaline-dump of writing about Nintendo's supposed new paradigm was any examination of what "success" means outside of raw hardware sales numbers.
The Wii hosts 147 separate million-selling titles. 37 of these are Nintendo games. Nine of the top ten sellers are Nintendo games; fourteen of the top twenty are Nintendo. Four of the six remaining are Just Dance titles.

The Wii's top 20 is also dominated by garbage. In addition to the four Just Dance titles, there are two Wii Fits and two Wii Sports games. There is a Mario Party and a Wii Party. In all, there are only five games that are (arguably) "regular" videogames as normals interpret the meaning: Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Smash Bros Brawl, Zelda Twilight Princess, and Donkey Kong Country Returns.
It was also discovered in 2009 that 37% of Wii games weren't even reviewed in the first half of the year, an increase from 25% the previous year. In comparison, 3% of XBox 360 games went unreviewed during the same period, an increase from 0%. I never saw any follow-up on this, but I'd be fascinated to know the final percentage of the Wii library which was so irredeemable that it went un-reviewed. 37% is a large enough portion, and the upward trend was amusingly damning.

The only system the Wii beat was the Dreamcast, by one game. The DC was also discontinued two years after its US release, giving the Wii about five or six extra years to come up with that one-game-lead. If the Wii's 3 ports are removed from the total, as well as the Dreamcast's one port, then the DC beats it 12 to 11.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2014, 01:17 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2014, 01:18 PM

So now your best chance at getting an exotic is brain surgery.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2014, 01:39 PM

This kind of reminds me of Battlefield 3 where that guy ranked up without making any kills. Revives, repairs and re-spawn beacons only.

Completing Borderlands With No Guns, Only Butt Slams

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2014, 01:47 PM

I
I'm surprised the N64 only has 17 titles. I thought the gap between that and the Wii would be a lot bigger.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2014, 08:17 PM

Blizzcon!

Starcraft 2 Expansion

Looks good, but so do most (all) blizzard cinematics. Lets hope they can provide some innovation on the gameplay level - perhaps a better custom map editor.

edit:
New Terran Units

New Zerg Units

New Protoss Units

----
Overwatch

A new IP? From Blizzard? To me it looks like Team Fortress 2 with... uhm... stuff. Maybe it's a bit more vertical in terms of map design, but besides that it looks like a Blizzard Fortress 2 to me. Apparently this is what their "Titan" project has become after they removed all the MMO components. If it becomes available for console I may consider that, just so I can do something with my PS4.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 8, 2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Blizzcon!

Starcraft 2 Expansion

Looks good, but so do most (all) blizzard cinematics. Lets hope they can provide some innovation on the gameplay level - perhaps a better custom map editor.
My old neighbor does audio for Blizzard. He tried to retire to Iowa and built a six figure studio to freelance from home, but ended up moving back to LA last year to be closer to all of his projects. The new buyers ripped the whole studio out before they even moved in.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2014, 12:25 PM

So… you like Sunset Overdrive?
Plot twist...

I saw one at Best Buy, and then Googled to see how widely available they'd be. They're supposed to be a very limited edition. I had a $50 gift card to Best Buy, and the XB1 was already on sale this week for $350.

So I snagged it off the shelf, and now I intend to resell it on eBay (unopened and sealed) a few weeks before Christmas. They're currently going for about $450-500, and I expect that number to climb.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Judging by his lust for the Destiny PS4 I think he has a fetish for white consoles.
My white console lust is what's causing me to claw into my legs a little bit, looking at that unopened box in my office. That and the fact that Sunset Overdrive is supposed to be an awesome, lighthearted game.

Borrowed from a friend. Terrible, terrible game.

The PS2 topping that list is no surprise. I loved that console so much.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2014, 12:01 PM

Scratch that. I broke down. Couldn't help myself.
I knew this would happen anyways.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2014, 12:03 PM

You're pathetic. No way that game is worth it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2014, 12:04 PM

No retort.

It's more for MCC, however.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2014, 12:09 PM

You didn't buy any of the previous remasters?

I'm disappointed that (understandably) they don't have all the maps in one gigantic combined multiplayer thanks to all the different physics systems.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2014, 01:27 PM

For all the hype I've seen Binding of Isaac has left me unimpressed.

P
Nov 10, 2014, 01:54 PM

For all the hype I've seen Binding of Isaac has left me unimpressed.
Give it time. That game keeps changing as you play it, because each achievement changes something about the setup - unlocks player chars, changes bosses, etc.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2014, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Give it time. That game keeps changing as you play it, because each achievement changes something about the setup - unlocks player chars, changes bosses, etc.
You can't save progress, though can you? It's that rogue-like bullshit I can't stand.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2014, 02:11 PM

P
Nov 10, 2014, 02:31 PM

You can't save progress, though can you? It's that rogue-like bullshit I can't stand.
You can't save progress in an individual game, no, but if you do certain things in one game, it changes the behavior of the next game you play (most obviously if you finish the once, every future game has 8 stages instead of 6).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
You can't save progress in an individual game, no, but if you do certain things in one game, it changes the behavior of the next game you play (most obviously if you finish the once, every future game has 8 stages instead of 6).
I caught that, but it doesn't interest me. I beat a boss, went to the next level, but I can't pick-up where I left off.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2014, 03:14 PM

I heard that Master Chief isn't the primary character in Halo 5, he's only playable for like 10% of the game. That's lame.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2014, 03:25 PM

This looks gorgeous, though the shininess is inappropriate.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2014, 06:31 PM

This looks gorgeous, though the shininess is inappropriate.
Looks like plastic, no can hasbro.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2014, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Looks like plastic, no can hasbro.
Exactly. It's a little worrisome because I figure they know how to do metal, but whatever.

---

Assassin&#039;s Creed Unity Uses "Every Ounce Of Power" From Xbox One And PS4 - GameSpot
Assassin's Creed Unity pushes the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 to their technical limits, according to creative director Alex Amancio. Speaking during the latest episode of Major Nelson Radio,
Let's break this down:
Unity, which runs the same on both systems somehow uses all their power, even though one has more power.
According to the creative director.
Who is trying to reassure PS4 owners, while on Major Nelson's podcast.

My mind is full of ****.

Amancio said past Assassin's Creed games had 200 on-screen NPCs, but Unity pushes this up to 5,000 or more.

One scene in particular boosts this even further to an incredible 10,000 on-screen NPCs, Amancio said.
Here's a thought: Increase the NPC count by only 5x or 10x instead as that's a huge jump already.

BTW, early news coming in is the game runs even worse than expected with huge pop-in, etc.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2014, 11:44 AM

Halo 5: Guardians multiplayer preview: A new era of speed | Ars Technica
Speaking of: just as impressive was the game’s new live chatter system, which seemed to be designed precisely for the kind of online gamer who mutes Xbox Live’s most vulgar morons by default. Essentially, everything you and your squadmates see and do is processed by the game, which then turns around and spits out spoken orders and notifications. These are more positional (“sniper on the tower”) than boring (“I’m reloading,”) which is the main reason why we grew to love it.

Halo 5’s producers told Ars that the game will constantly calculate what’s happening in a firefight and what the game thinks is most important for each player to hear, since chatter-worthy stuff is happening at all times. These spoken alerts already sounded useful, as opposed to monotonous or obnoxious, which makes us very hopeful for their ultimate implementation in Halo 5’s eventual 2015 release.
Sounds a lot better than "TANGO SUCKA"

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2014, 01:11 PM

Unity embargo just dropped. This may well be the worst scored AAA game we get to see for a while.

P
Nov 11, 2014, 01:24 PM

Yes, AC:U looks pretty but empty. DA:I embargo dropped as well, and those reviews look suspiciously good.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2014, 02:49 PM

Halo: The Master Chief Collection sees launch day matchmaking problems | Ars Technica
Jesus Christ, MS, you're the experts and this is you flagship title for the year.

These ****in' companies. Hats of to Bungie's Destiny roll out.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2014, 02:51 PM

Oh yeah, PS4 update 2.0.2 out today

Forum Links
Forum Rules