Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Funny iMac story

Funny iMac story
JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2006, 08:19 PM

I bought my wife the 17" 2GHz refurb iMac for Christmas. Of course Christmas came a little early and she opened it this afternoon. As she was taking it out of the box she paused, looked at it, then at me and said, "Where's my computer?"

Classic!

She loves it by the way.
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

mBurns
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2006, 08:50 PM

Nice, I hope she likes it. Also, maybe your wife will be nice and let you mess with the beast!
MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz CD | 100 Gb HD | 2 Gb RAM | 10.4
iBook Clamshell | 466 Mhz | 60 Gb HD | 576 Mb RAM | 10.4

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2006, 09:37 PM

Nice Good thing to keep the misses happy. I had the same reaction with a friend the other day. She was totally dumbstruck by the idea of the computer being "glued" to the screen

JoshKurtz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by mBurns View Post
Nice, I hope she likes it. Also, maybe your wife will be nice and let you mess with the beast!
I'm sitting in bed wistfully watching her set up Mail across the room. I've been using Linux lately much more than OS X and watching her is making me realize what I've been missing.

amru
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2006, 11:07 PM

funny..

few weeks ago i was in compusa and decided to stop by the apple side. was checking out the new c2ds and theres this 50ish lady on the phone w/ prob her son [you could hear him loud and clear]

her: so im looking at the screen right now but i cant find the computer [she atempts to look under it behind it moves it etc]
guy on phone: uhh.. that is the comp mom, to make sure its not the apple display check the side to see if you can insert a CD.
her: ya but its to small for a cd [she was looking at the 24" and looked confused as hell]

i was gonna help her out but i was in a hurry, hope she got what she wanted [or the dude wanted]

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2006, 03:13 AM

Thats why when the G5's came out Apple went with the frase "Where do the computer go?"
Signature depreciated.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2006, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Thats why when the G5's came out Apple went with the frase "Where do the computer go?"
Makes you wonder what Apple with come up with next for the iMac. The All-in-one factor is likely to stay but who knows what they'd do to the next gen iMac's exterior.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2006, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by macboy View Post
Makes you wonder what Apple with come up with next for the iMac. The All-in-one factor is likely to stay but who knows what they'd do to the next gen iMac's exterior.
I hope Apple would go Aluminum (I don't think I spelled that right) where they copy the iPod nano/minis design and apply it to a iMac (and a MacBook) and bring back colors!
Signature depreciated.

JoshKurtz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2006, 12:06 PM

After playing with it a bit I must say that it's a beautiful piece of equipment.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2006, 04:55 PM

I doubt they'd do Aluminum. They need to maintain a difference between the Pro and the Consumer products - in this case Metal & Plastic.

Josh I couldn't agree more. Its an absolute pleasure experience working on an iMac.
( Last edited by macboy; Dec 16, 2006 at 05:27 PM. )

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2006, 05:22 PM

I doubt it'd do Aluminum. They need to maintain a difference between the Pro and the Consumer products - in this case Metal & Plastic.

Josh I couldn't agree more. Its an absolute pleasure experience working on an iMac.
I still want Apple to bring back colors
Signature depreciated.

Benton
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2006, 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=macboy;3241658]I doubt it'd do Aluminum. They need to maintain a difference between the Pro and the Consumer products - in this case Metal & Plastic.

Aluminum might be a good idea. In addition to being a better heat transferer and recyclable might help appease GreenPeace's criticisms.
STEVE JOBS: Where is my APPLE Rewards Visa Card? Other LOYALISTS have SONY Rewards Visa Card: DISNEY Rewards Visa Card: ESPN Rewards Visa Card!

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2006, 05:32 PM

I don't think heat is that big of an issue on the iMac. They have plenty of space in there and enough ventilation to dispose off heat. AND making Aluminum iMac's could make them more expensive to make and for us to buy.

On the flip side - I'm sure Al' would look great. I saw a mock up somewhere on an Aluminum iMac which looked really sweet.

When are new reversions of iMac's expected anyway? Its been more than a year and half now I think the thinner G5's with iSight were introduced.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2006, 06:07 PM

From September, 2004.

I think it is time for a new iMac form factor. A new design. Even if it is just cosmetic.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

draggerman11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2006, 01:36 AM

lol, this is a pretty much universal response. My girlfriend while looking at iMacs at the Apple store said, "these monitors are really nice." )

Kar98
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2006, 03:07 AM

I doubt they'd do Aluminum. They need to maintain a difference between the Pro and the Consumer products - in this case Metal & Plastic.

So where would you place the most affordable Mac, the mini, in its nice Alu case?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2006, 05:32 PM

I really don't see what they could do next with form factor. They have it nailed the way it is. Make it even thinner and lighter? Somehow make the monitor rotate more on the base? I have no clue.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
I think it is time for a new iMac form factor. A new design. Even if it is just cosmetic.
Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
I really don't see what they could do next with form factor. They have it nailed the way it is. Make it even thinner and lighter? Somehow make the monitor rotate more on the base? I have no clue.
Eliminate the chin, and for that matter, 90% of the bezel.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Eliminate the chin, and for that matter, 90% of the bezel.
I agree. However, the "chin" may be Apple's way of distinguishing the iMac from the plain ol' display, although there isn't exactly room inside an iMac to eliminate the chin. I think the next version will reduce it to minimal (fingers crossed).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
I agree. However, the "chin" may be Apple's way of distinguishing the iMac from the plain ol' display, although there isn't exactly room inside an iMac to eliminate the chin. I think the next version will reduce it to minimal (fingers crossed).
Why does it need to be distinguished? And if it does, why isn't the color (white instead of aluminum) enough?

Forum Links
Forum Rules