Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: 2 x 512MB Ram from Crucial for 15" PowerBook 1.25 Ghz

FS: 2 x 512MB Ram from Crucial for 15" PowerBook 1.25 Ghz
slider
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 12:37 PM

EDIT: I misremembered my ram purchasing. One of the ram chips is original from Apple, the other is from Crucial. I'm very sorry about this error on my part.

I have just upgraded my 15" 1.25 GHz PowerBook G4 to 2GB with two 1GB chips from Crucial (EDIT: one from Apple and one from Crucial), replacing my two 512MB chips, also purchased from Crucial. I'm selling this Crucial (EDIT: and Apple) ram as a set for $80, buyer pays shipping. Paypal only please.

As you may or may not know, the PowerBook 1.25GHz is extremely particular about it's ram. I recently relearned this during my upgrade to 2GB after purchasing from a cheaper vendor than Crucial, the ram caused my PB to crash so the vendor sent me a replacement, which didn't even allow my PB to start up. So, lesson learned, again, got a refund and bought my new ram from Crucial in the end and wouldn't you know it, flawless operation.

The ram for sale has work flawlessly since I installed to included working flawlessly with the recent upgrades I made: A 160GB 5400rpm hard drive and a new pioneer DL DVD burner.

If you have a 1.25 Powerbook and have been thinking of upgrading to more ram, don't mess around with this machine. This used Crucial ram works! And at half the price of new ram from Crucial.
( Last edited by slider; Dec 17, 2006 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Corrected Ram source.)

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2006, 01:03 PM

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the 2 sticks. Im thinking of upgrading my 2x512's too on my 17" 1.5

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by macboy View Post
Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the 2 sticks. Im thinking of upgrading my 2x512's too on my 17" 1.5
That's actually an interesting story. As I mentioned, I tried to use ram purchased from a cheaper vendor, b/c Crucial was charging an arm and leg. During the time when I was dealing with that other vendor with my ram, shipping back and forth and all, the price of Crucial's ram dropped to below what that cheaper vendor was actually charging at the time. I paid $136 per stick from Crucial, down from the former price of $180 per stick, and which is now creeping back up, currently at $150 per stick.

I'm not sure if you machine is finicky about ram, but I think it's got something to do with the PowerPC and DDR ram, but it's just a guess. The ram I tried before was from Omni Technology. They didn't give a hard time about returning it, but I had ordered the original ram shipped 2-day, when they sent the replacement they sent it regular post signature require. That really irked me, plus I paid shipping back both times. Also, back in the day, when I was upgrading to two 512 sticks, I did the same thing and bought from a cheaper vendor (1-800-Memory), I never returned that ram and lost that money. Point is, yeah, it's couple of extra bucks for Crucial, but two different vendors, each specifying the ram for the PowerBook, caused system failures, and have the added headaches of trying to get it resolved.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2006, 02:10 PM

I haven't tried using third-party ram on the Powerbook yet. The stock 512's are still in there. One's from Samsung the other ones from Edge I think.

So $300 less lets say $50 if I sell my 512's. Do you think $250 was worth the speed bump? How about would you rate the usage now with 2GB for basic use like surfing, music, startup/shutdown.

I'm pretty much in the same spot as you just with the 1.5Ghz. Trying to figure out if its worth upgrading RAM and wait till Santa-Rosa is out or just get the Macbook Pro now

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 03:29 PM

For the things that you've asking about, I'm not really sure you'd see a big impact. I noticed faster startup, and better DVD burning speeds, and of course "snappier". I was not going to upgrade the ram until I realized I might get better performance with my new DVD burner (I did), not that it was really suffering. Plus, with Leopard coming out this spring, I'm sure more ram is a minimum (I'll be waiting to see how others do with this on PowerPCs before adopting, a switch for me). This is clearly and obvious statement, but, the longer you wait to buy a new Mac, the newer the Mac you will buy will be. I just don't feel limited with my machine for what I do. To replace my Mac now would have been $2500, and since PowerPC machines seem to have lost resale value b/c of the processor switch, it makes more sense, for me, to hang on to her.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 04:47 PM

Will this work on my 15 inch 1.33GHz Powerbook? PC2700 200pin I believe.
iamwhor3hay

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 05:22 PM

Hi there,
Well, while I'd love to say that it would, I can't, I have my doubts which were learned twice, as you may have read. Here's why, using the Crucial memory selector, the 512MB ram chips is listed with part number CT407786 and the same size stick for your machine is CT368645. The specs appear to be identical, however, this is my point about Crucial ram, it works in the machine you purchased it for.

So I would not be comfortable selling you this ram as I believe you'd have some issues.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 05:31 PM

Information taken off the actual ram chips for sale:

Apple Ram:

hynix KOREA 03
PC2700S-25330
HYMD564M646A6-J AA
512MB DDR 333MHz CL2.5

Crucial Ram:

CT16VDDF6464HG-335C2 PC2700S-2533-1-Z
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN U.S.
BZAC73KA01 200342
512MB, DDR, 333, CL2.5
( Last edited by slider; Dec 17, 2006 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added information from second chip.)

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 05:50 PM

Hi folks,
If you've been following this thread please note that I made an error in the ram: I stated that both chips were from Crucial, however one is from Apple (original to system) and the other is from Crucial. I would not have caught this had a not posted the information from each ram chip as seen above. But as I said, these chips have work flawlessly in my machine.

Thanks

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2006, 12:18 AM

Bump.

Forum Links
Forum Rules