Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Coherence view does not work in Parallels

Coherence view does not work in Parallels
NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2009, 08:06 PM

Hi all,

Sorry to bother all of you yet again. I've tried contacting Parallels e-mail technical support and they still haven't answered me (I e-mailed them back last Wednesday about this). I'm running a MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo 15" with Mac OS X client v. 10.5.6 and Parallels Desktop 4.0.3810 with Windows XP Professional SP3. I'm seeking your help since they still haven't replied to me and I want to avoid having to reinstall Windows AGAIN.

After finishing the install of Windows, Parallels, all of the updates, etc. I tried to put the program into Coherence view. However, it's unable to go into that view and I get the message, "[t]he Parallels mouse synchronization service is not started. Reinstall Parallels Tools and try again." I've tried reinstalling Parallels tools, I've tried resetting Windows, what else can I try? What else can I do?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ibook_steve
May 4, 2009, 08:12 PM

In Windows, go to the Add or Remove Programs control panel and remove Parallels Tools. Reboot Windows. Then reinstall Parallels Tools from the Parallels "Virtual Machine" menu. You'll need to reboot again, but it should work.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

NormPhillips  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2009, 08:44 PM

It worked! Thank you ibook steve!

Leto_Parallels
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2009, 02:45 PM

Thanks for answering that, steve. I'm glad you were able to get it working.

My apologies for the delay in e-mail support, by the way, Norm.

NormPhillips  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2009, 03:36 PM

Yeah Steve, you're great. Thanks again.

Leto, you really need to have your staff do a much better job of responding to technical support inquiries. One of the reasons I picked your product over VMWare Fusion was because it offered more options for support. However, almost began to regret my decesion based on the lack of support. Thankfully Steve helped me. This required urgent attention because I need to use Windows software for graduate school.

Leto_Parallels
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2009, 07:27 PM

There are other options for support issues, including live phone support and knowledgebase support. This article about Reinstalling Parallels Tools can be found by searching the knowledgebase for the phrase "Parallels Tools".

Of course I realize you don't need that article now (duh), but keep it in mind just in case. The KB can be pretty useful, and it's constantly updated. There's also forum support where other users and Parallels engineers can answer questions.

I can't say I know why there was a delay with your e-mail ticket, Norm, but I don't blame you for being frustrated with it when you had an urgent problem. I'd be interested in looking into it. If you get a moment, please e-mail me at [email protected] with your ticket number. It would really help to make sure we're giving people the best experience possible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules