Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The iPhone

The iPhone (Page 6)
molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
edit: Others caught the FCC approval----

I've just been given a Blackberry (Nextel) by my employer and find that it has one of the most assinine input methods. I realize that I'll become used to it, but getting used to it, to me, means it's counter-intuitive. I will say that I'm almost 40, and that, much to my chagrin, I'm getting too old for RIM's new-fangled ways. And much to my chagrin that I'm turning 40.

RIMS have sever input types, you have have it set for smart word, or by typing each letter and there is one other method. So basically how ever your previous cell was set you can do the same. Trust me I have set people up with it that hated technology. ITs all about how its set up.. Read the manual and you will see or check out a black berry forum

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
P.S. The phone geeks over at Howard Forums are pretty split on this phone, for similar reasons as me: Cost, low storage (for an iPod), no 3G UMTS, and various other things.
Can even one of them show us a better alternative today or even in 6 months?

I can show you the top of the line smartphones like the Sony P900's or w850. They dont' have any of those things either and cost $1000-$1200. Heck they aren't even Quad band and most don't have cameras.

Before today none of them even dreamed of a phone close to this let alone with its interface, design, Wifi, compatibility and most of all... for under $1000.

Picky picky picky.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 07:22 PM

No buttons.
It has a button.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
It has a button.
Home, sleep and volume

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2007, 07:25 PM

Will this be the future of the 6G ipod minus the phone. I hope so because I would have to buy one.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 07:26 PM

This is the closest thing to competition. It costs way more, does way less and isn't half as sexy.

Not to mention, no camera, no Wifi, no edge (more common than UMTS), no quad, bad OS, no mac supprt, no iTunes support.

Oh and isn't shipping in the US for a while if ever.

W950i�-�Specifications - - Mobile phone - Sony Ericsson

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 9, 2007, 07:29 PM

Yeah, battery life and reception are key.

In terms of reception, I think that's one reason they went with Quad-band GSM. They can just release one phone to test the market and have it work everywhere, instead of releasing multiple different models of tri-band GSM with UMTS.

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Can even one of them show us a better alternative today or even in 6 months?

I can show you the top of the line smartphones like the Sony P900's or w850. They dont' have any of those things either and cost $1000-$1200. Heck they aren't even Quad band and most don't have cameras.

Before today none of them even dreamed of a phone close to this let alone with its interface, design, Wifi, compatibility and most of all... for under $1000.

Picky picky picky.
That logic only works if you want an 8 GB iPod phone with touch screen, smart functionality and GSM.

In my case, I'll be better served by a cheaper phone with better camera, and a separate video iPod, for the time being at least. I commonly drain my my iPod's battery down to zero when I'm on the plane or on the train. If that iPod was my phone, I'd be SOL. (The good news though is that some of the train cars from Toronto to Montreal now have power plugs. w00t!) Other people might be better served with a 3G smartphone. I know of lot of the phone geek types spend a lot of time in Europe or Asia, where UMTS support is great.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jan 9, 2007 at 07:35 PM. )

dav
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Moon View Post
Will this be the future of the 6G ipod minus the phone. I hope so because I would have to buy one.
swap out phone function for 80gigabytes and i'm there.
one post closer to five stars

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 07:30 PM

In what situations do you guys see yourself needing UTMS with this phone?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If it gets bad reviews in these areas, would you still get one?
Well, I think the deal breaker for me would be signal strength. It is one of my biggest pet peeves with phones. I've just had terrible luck picking phones that have strong signals in my area.

As far as comfort, and clarity I am pretty confident that those things will turn out OK...

But playing Devil's Advocate, if all those things turn out to be bad, I might reconsider and hold out for Rev 2 or something. But I'm currently feeling the effects of Steve's Reality Distortion Field™ and it feels good.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 07:35 PM

Yeah, I'm not saying that gaming isn't possible on the iPhone. I'm saying it's not ideal, and hence the DS has buttons.
Your thinking of traditional games ported like pacman and tetris.

There is a million different simple games you can do with just touchscreen. Heck even tic tac toe or chess would work easily.

Look at Yoshi touch and go for DS... all you do is draw paths and tap items on the screen you want to shoot. They could easily do this on the iPhone and make it better than a PacMan port.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 07:39 PM

There is a million different simple games you can do with just touchscreen. Heck even tic tac toe or chess would work easily.

Look at Yoshi touch and go for DS... all you do is draw paths and tap items on the screen you want to shoot. They could easily do this on the iPhone and make it better than a PacMan port.
Yeah the only DS game I've played is the one where you draw trampolines for Mario to jump on. That is a crazy fun game, and only requires their stylus, which could be replaced by a finger if needed on the iPhone. Or game company could sell a small stylus to use with the iPhone for games.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 07:41 PM

If I wanted/needed all its smartphone functions, I'd want UMTS as well, or at least unlimited EDGE. For me personally though that's moot. I don't bother with true smartphones generally, because the unlimited data costs far too much in Canada. The story is different in the US though. Getting UMTS support with great data plans is actually affordable.

(I did have unlimited at one point on Fido, but that was on GPRS, and it sucked royally. EDGE is a big improvement, but it's still slow. I could probably deal with EDGE in some places, but like I said it costs too much now for unlimited, so it's moot.)

Actually, I was also thinking of a widescreen first person shooter. But like I said, gaming isn't a primary concern for me for the iPhone.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 07:53 PM

In bigger US cities with UMTS coverage, it is quite nice.

My brother is in NY and has Cingular UMTS. It's $ 40 flat, and he get's DSL speed.
It makes a huge difference if you are 1-2x dial-up vs. DSL speed.

E.g., he gets streaming TV on his phone, 28 channels. No way you can do this with EDGE.

-t

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 07:55 PM

I want the damn thing even tough it costs as much as a PS3.

That is one sexy looking phone. If the reception is half decent, I'll buy one in a heartbeat. Fortunately, I'm already with Cingular and their reception is top notch in my area. In fact, I've never even had a problem getting reception while travelling.

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 07:56 PM

id like to know if appl care has more coverage...lol

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 07:57 PM

There is no reason Apple can't come out with the iPhone v2 somewhere down the line that has UMTS support. Remember people, this is VERSION 1. Hell, anyone remember the first gen iPod? How big was the HD? No color screen?

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 08:02 PM

Anyone know about syncing stuff over-the-air like a blackberry?

I want to check off to-dos and have them show up as done on my desktop iCal without having to manually sync, just like a blackberry and outlook. If I type in an appointment on my desktop it should show up on my phone without me having to stick it in the dock to sync or be within range of my local wifi network. It should just be pushed to the phone, again like a blackberry.

I don't care if iTunes is sync'd over the air, but contacts, notes, events, and to-dos should be sync'd automatically. Does it do that?

kman

Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 08:05 PM

Although I most likely won't be purchasing the first revision of the iPhone, I gotta say, this is a truly incredible piece of technology. I agree with Dark Helmet, there is nothing that even comes close to matching the features and sheer panache of the thing.

I'm going to repeat myself here, it's not all things to all people, but the iPhone platform will surely mature the same way the iPod did: high-end, then mid-range, then low-end.

I think we'll see an iPhone mini or iPhone nano next year which is hella small and catered more the mid-range market.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
There is no reason Apple can't come out with the iPhone v2 somewhere down the line that has UMTS support. Remember people, this is VERSION 1.
Of course, nobody said any different. What people are saying is this particular version may not be for them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane

Isn't it surprising that Apple again announced a product 6 months before it was available (like iTV).

They basically commented on the iPhone rumors. I'm sure the stock would have taken a plunge if it had not been announced today.

-t

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 08:06 PM

It is pretty cheesy that they are charging $100 more for the high end one when the only difference is 4 gigs of flash memory.

The same jump in the iPod Nano is only $50.

What's up with that?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

fhoubi
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 08:07 PM

Some thoughts:
* no name on the device so the name could still be an open issue? (I would love if Steve said fsck you Cisco too much money, we're calling it the Apple Phone)
* I hope the battery is user changeable
* complete back looks painted plastic to me (not good)
* "wide"screen non-flash iPod (with virtual clickwheel?) next year, after this puppy starts selling.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by fhoubi View Post
Some thoughts:
* no name on the device so the name could still be an open issue? (I would love if Steve said fsck you Cisco too much money, we're calling it the Apple Phone)
* "wide"screen non-flash iPod (with virtual clickwheel?) next year, after this puppy starts selling.
I would hope Apple does something with the iPod line before next year, it's stagnant as it is.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Cingular - all the cost of Verizon with the coverage of Tmobile
Cingular charges $45/mo for unlimited data (EDGE only, no wifi), plus another $35/mo if you want to tether your computer; compare to Tmobile at $20/mo for unlimited data with tethering (plus $10/mo if you want unlimited wifi at their thousands of hotspots). And despite the latest improvements, GSM coverage still can't touch CDMA for coverage.

And the camera is a dealbreaker for me; no cameras at work and I'm not going to drop $500+ on a phone that sits at home all day.
I tether via Cingular HSDPA for $19.99/month. Moreover, you're comparing apples to oranges: can T-mobile provide 1.8 Mbps peak transfer rates for that $20/month? No, it can't.

Much of the moaning is coming from people who can't afford the iPhone+Cingular service; however, that doesn't make the iPhone a bad product. Folks who jump on free phones and use dirt cheap carriers aren't going to spring for an iPhone anyway, so why market to them? I also see the iPhone as a potential laptop replacement, so to me the $499 price tab seems like a steal.

When the iPod first came out, many called it overpriced. Some still call its subsequent iterations overpriced, but to me they're just bellyaching. Let the masses drive Hyundais, give me the Maybach!

With regards to the built-in camera, meh. I can have one at work, but I don't really need one.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
...I gotta say, this is a truly incredible piece of technology. I agree with Dark Helmet, there is nothing that even comes close to matching the features and sheer panache of the thing.
Thirded. This is sci-fi, Jack Bauer, Minority Report stuff. Whether or not one finds this to be the "right" phone, it's hard to argue that, from a UI standpoint at least, it isn't years ahead of what anyone else has out there.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 08:18 PM

"It just confirms our message, and it's good to have others preaching the same message. The best company will win in the end, so I think it's good news for us. It's not a threat, although of course it's hard competition, but that usually makes you perform better yourself."

Someone's going to cry themselves to sleep tonight.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 08:27 PM

I'll admit that I'm sorely disappointed that the iPhone is only a 2.5G phone, but this is a first iteration. Given the choice between including a camera or UMTS/HSDPA, Apple went with including the more popular option. Once Apple gets a foothold in the market, however, my guess is that it'll split up its product line into a high end that is willing to shell out for 3.5/4G and a lower end that just wants an iPod phone (talk only).

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 08:28 PM

This is the closest thing to competition. It costs way more, does way less and isn't half as sexy.

Not to mention, no camera, no Wifi, no edge (more common than UMTS), no quad, bad OS, no mac supprt, no iTunes support.

Oh and isn't shipping in the US for a while if ever.

W950i�-�Specifications - - Mobile phone - Sony Ericsson
It costs 490 euros... and has UMTS. So, no. It doesn't cost way more.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 08:30 PM

For me, the original hype around the idea of an iPhone was that Apple would do for cellular what it did for portable music; an ultra simple phone that does one thing exceptionally well and looks really good to boot. Instead, we have an iPod that does a little of everything; something Apple said they would never produce.

Rather than the iPhone that everyone's been speculating about, I think what we're really looking at is Apple's answer to the UMPC and the rebirth of the Newton.

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I tether via Cingular HSDPA for $19.99/month. Moreover, you're comparing apples to oranges: can T-mobile provide 1.8 Mbps peak transfer rates for that $20/month? No, it can't.

Much of the moaning is coming from people who can't afford the iPhone+Cingular service; however, that doesn't make the iPhone a bad product. Folks who jump on free phones and use dirt cheap carriers aren't going to spring for an iPhone anyway, so why market to them? I also see the iPhone as a potential laptop replacement, so to me the $499 price tab seems like a steal.

When the iPod first came out, many called it overpriced. Some still call its subsequent iterations overpriced, but to me they're just bellyaching. Let the masses drive Hyundais, give me the Maybach!

With regards to the built-in camera, meh. I can have one at work, but I don't really need one.
I can afford it...I have verizon and a BB and I am complaining. I dont think your comment will hold any water. People typically complain when there is change.

As far as your comparing a hyundai to a maybach there 2 seperate things. compare a honda and an acura and see what arguments you get. OR try Ferrai vs Lamburgini. When comparing keep things equal.

Try the Zune vs the ipod and see what you get. Same price range and same storage...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
1) Doesn't seem to work with PeeCees
Neither did the first iPod.

2) No USB. Not ALL of us have FireWire you know.
Where did you get this from? I'd actually assume it's going to be USB.

3) Price price price. $400? Not these days. Apple PRICE! PRICE MAN COME ON PRICE IS IMPORTANT. I DON'T CARE HOW SUPER COOL IT IS IF PEOPLE DON'T HAVE THE MONEY THEY WONT BUY IT.
It's cheaper than it's competitors. The first iPod was expensive, but price went down over time.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Hash
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 08:38 PM

Sony Ericcson smartphone and apple iphone

When you compare two concepts, you will understand the beauty, elegance and incredible technology behind Apple solution (despite the fact I have sony ericsson w700i and always used SE, iPhone is incredible and wins by all counts)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Neither did the first iPod.

Where did you get this from? I'd actually assume it's going to be USB.

It's cheaper than it's competitors. The first iPod was expensive, but price went down over time.
Dude, he's quoting what people said about the original iPod to show how off base they were.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
For me, the original hype around the idea of an iPhone was that Apple would do for cellular what it did for portable music; an ultra simple phone that does one thing exceptionally well and looks really good to boot. Instead, we have an iPod that does a little of everything; something Apple said they would never produce.

Rather than the iPhone that everyone's been speculating about, I think what we're really looking at is Apple's answer to the UMPC and the rebirth of the Newton.
We have a winner.

See here: The genesis of the iPhone - Engadget
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Dude, he's quoting what people said about the original iPod to show how off base they were.
Sorry, missed it.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 9, 2007, 08:45 PM

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hash View Post
When you compare two concepts, you will understand the beauty, elegance and incredible technology behind Apple solution (despite the fact I have sony ericsson w700i and always used SE, iPhone is incredible and wins by all counts)
I think the best thing about the iPhone is that Apple realized how very little people use a telephone's keypad today, especially with "smartphones". For the amount of time we use the keypad (entering in numbers that weren't entered in through a contact list on our computers or numbers that we won't enter into our contact lists) it's acceptable to use a touch-screen keypad. A touch-screen keypad wouldn't be acceptable if we didn't have contact lists.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by fhoubi View Post
Some thoughts:
No need for a virtual clickwheel if it has a touchscreen. You did see how the phone scrolls, didn't you?

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I think the best thing about the iPhone is that Apple realized how very little people use a telephone's keypad today, especially with "smartphones". For the amount of time we use the keypad (entering in numbers that weren't entered in through a contact list on our computers or numbers that we won't enter into our contact lists) it's acceptable to use a touch-screen keypad. A touch-screen keypad wouldn't be acceptable if we didn't have contact lists.
True. And if a 'PhoneBook' Widget is produced you'd prolly never have to use the numeric keypad. And of course there is always 411.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 09:27 PM

1) Surprised it isn't on Cingular.com's front page.
2) Cingular is sketchy in AZ, absolute crap up in the mountain town i live in. Cingular Maps
3) Good first step though. Hope to see this more usable for everyone in a few years with more carriers, more bandwidth, and smaller phones.
4) It feels like Steve Jobs sold out mac fans today to get the biggest hit possible with the iPhone. I would've been pissed if I traveled to San Fran to see the latest and greatest mac stuff and got a 2 hour phone informercial.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 09:32 PM

Steve made the first ever iPhone prank call.

-Owl

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer View Post
It feels like Steve Jobs sold out mac fans today to get the biggest hit possible with the iPhone.
Sold out? Christ on a cracker, nobody got hurt.

Originally Posted by iLikebeer View Post
I would've been pissed if I traveled to San Fran to see the latest and greatest mac stuff and got a 2 hour phone informercial.
Like it or not, products made by Apple — particularly if they interact with or run the Mac OS (and this one does both) — are generally considered "Mac stuff." If he had announced new iPods, displays and a new iWork suite with a spreadsheet, would you have cried because it wasn't actually a Mac or the Mac OS?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 09:48 PM

iLikeBeer: In fairness, it does run OSX, and developers will want to make software/widgets for it. In essence he has introduced a Mac based PDA platform for developers.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 09:51 PM

Yes, in the Keynote they said it was OS X, and that it had Cocoa.

That means 3rd parties CAN develop for it. It was useless to mention Cocoa if they can't.

-Owl

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 10:01 PM

Does the iPhone have an HSPDA radio? No. So you're getting the same EDGE speeds as Tmo, for 2-4x the monthly price.

Please show me where on cingular.com you can get unlimited data for an EDGE phone with tethering for $20/mo.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 10:03 PM

I also see the iPhone as a potential laptop replacement, so to me the $499 price tab seems like a steal.
Methinks you may be disappointed then.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 10:04 PM

14 booms in 1h10m!

I want an iPod without the phone!!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
I want an iPod without the phone!!
I'd buy a 40 GB model for $299.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 10:12 PM

Just got back from Macworld and took a few shots of it close up. Got a few questions answered while there.

iPhone 1
iPhone 2
iPhone 3

THE BACK
iPhone 4
( Last edited by exca1ibur; Jan 10, 2007 at 12:04 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules