Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > new apple wireless keyboard impressions...

new apple wireless keyboard impressions...
action
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2007, 12:52 PM

hi gang,

i just picked up the new wireless keyboard from the soho apple store in nyc.

i have bees using the the new imac keyboards since they came out and was quite impressed with them so i expected nothing less from the wireless version.

i used the prior apple keyboards, both wired and wireless and after some use i have found that the keys became mushy. for the amount of effort exerted the feedback was poor. styling wise it really didn't go too well with my g5 tower and the due to the design, debris would get captured in the keyboard and was visible in the case. out of all the keyboards i have used i would rate the older style apple keyboard both wired and wireless the worse in form and function.

i switched to the matias tactile pro and loved the the feedback of the keyboard and enjoyed typing on it. the two negatives were form related in that it only came wired as i prefer wireless keyboards and it also had the clear case and debris was visible. however, the superior function out weighed the negatives in form for me.

i purchased the macbook and was introduced to the new style keys and did not take immediately to them since i don't type much on my macbook and i preferred the feel of the tactile pro.

when i got the new imac i decided to the give the new keyboard extended use because i loved the form. it went well with the metal of the imac and my g5 tower and aluminum display. as i got used to the keyboard, i realized i started to enjoy the function as well. the throw of the keys was short and there was more spring in the keys then i expected.

now to the new wireless keyboard. it has the same feel as the wired version plus the added benefit of being wireless which i prefer. the keyboard comes with three aa batteries and there is a power button to activate the keyboard instead of the slider.

setup took ten seconds on the bluetooth setup pane.

one possible negative is lack of pad but that is not an issue for me and for the times i need one like tax season i will just hook up the wired keyboard.

just some thoughts,

action

qkslvr
Oct 7, 2007, 02:59 AM

I just picked mine up tonight, because my desk is too high to type for extended periods on the Powerbook keyboard. Plus it's nice to get my wrists off the blistering heat the Powerbook creates on the wristpads.

So far, I love it. I'm not used to the new form factor, so I have to retrain some muscle memory, but nothing too serious. MY only wualm is that the nifty function keys that I thought I would happily control iTunes from aren't compatible with the PPC models. But that's not the main purpose of a keyboard, so I digress.

The size is just incredible, and has to be seen to be believed. Time will tell to see how quickly they eat batteries, but I hear there are some pretty slick power savers built in.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2007, 12:06 PM

Received mine today.

Wow, is this thing small. Its basically a MacBook keyboard excised from a MacBook and placed on the desk.

It will get some getting used to looking at such a small device on my desk, but I do like very much being able to have my keyboard centered on the desk & screen and not have to reach way over to the right to get to the mouse.

Here's a few pictures to get a sense of the size. Next to the keyboard is a bluetooth Mighty Mouse and a 1st gen iPod nano. Sorry about the low-light iPhone pics.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2007, 02:39 PM

EVERYONE that sees mine, especially my entire peecee-using family members (19 in all), just drop their jaws.........they can't believe how thin & cool it is
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2007, 04:35 PM

just saw one in "bestbuy" today, and an employee told me that I didn't want it because it's not meant to be used with a pc, he doesn't even know why they insist on selling them. The box was sooo small, it was really jaw dropping seeing the size of the box and realizing that there is a keyboard inside. I use a wired new keyboard. the entire no dedicated number pad lost the sale for me, or else i'd buy a wireless one

Alex

qkslvr
Oct 8, 2007, 01:27 AM

UPDATE: My PB downloaded keyboard software 1.2 overnight. And now all the function keys work like a charm!! No more need for ByteController, just controll iTunes with F7-F9.

One thing... After typing my first paper on it tonight, the space key squeaks a tad when hit on the far right side (where I typically hit it). Anyone else have this?

EDIT: Still getting used to the form factor...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2007, 09:00 PM

i got mine (finally) last week, and, after a day of adapting, am loving it.

funny watching people's reaction to it, especially when i move away from my desk.
and laughed when the package came...looked too small.

i can (now) center the keyboard under my monitor when typing, one of pet peeves with the extended keyboard.

highly recommended!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2007, 10:19 PM

I find the small space bar just a little troublesome, since I tend to hit it with my right thumb and make contact just below the "N" key. First day or so it didn't always register the keypress (maybe because its nearer the end and not over the center), but seems to be better today. Or maybe I'm just striking it harder. Either way, its no longer an issue, but I thought it might be for a little while.

But, boy, does my desk feel spacious now with the little keyboard.

badtz
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2007, 02:06 PM

Love the new keyboard. Only thing I'd change is:

(1) ability to have the F3 key be re-mapped to the "clear desktop" expose function instead of the default "all windows" expose function

(2) 10-key [!!!]

Otherwise, it's super sweet!!!! Now I need to buy me a charger + rechargeables!

Forum Links
Forum Rules