Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Batch OCR Software?

Batch OCR Software?
alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2007, 04:19 PM

I just purchased a Fujitsu Scansnap and now I have a lot of my household records scanned in as PDF files. I want to OCR a bunch of PDFs, not just one at a time. Does anyone know if there is a software program out there that will do this?

Adobe Acrobat will OCR one PDF at a time. *sigh*

CatOne
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2007, 04:29 PM

Doesn't the ScanSnap come with software that does that? You got the Mac version of the software, right?

Other things that might be able to help are DEVONthink Pro Office, or Yep.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2007, 09:55 PM

No, the ScanSnap doesn't come with OCR software other than Adobe Acrobat 7. Acrobat 8 has batch processing capabilities, but Acrobat 7 does not, to my knowledge.

badtz
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2008, 07:57 AM

any new updates on this?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 03:58 PM

DEVONthink Pro Office?

There was an article on setting up a hot folder in the Finder to auto-fire Acrobat and OCR a document when it dropped there. Problem is, there's a timing issue and it usually fires up Acrobat and then errors out because Acrobat is too slow to acknowledge the command. Personally I just do it a document at a time.

Though DEVONthink Pro Office might be worth a try. I used it but the PDFs I generated at last try were like 5x larger than the ones Acrobat Pro generated.

badtz
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2008, 02:53 AM

does DPTO and Acrobat attach the OCR text into the PDF so you can transport it outside of those respective programs?

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2008, 09:13 AM

I've read that some of the ScanSnaps come with Readiris, and that it works great.

Readiris for Mac OS
Link to Demo: Download demo of Readiris Pro Mac

Haven't tried it myself though

roderick99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2008, 06:13 PM

The Fujitsu ScanSnap S510M ships with Abbyy FineReader and with Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.0 (I got mine Aug 2008 in the UK).

Originally I thought it did not make sense for them to have shipped both pieces of software. However now I am beginning to appreciate it. If you have lots of stuff to OCR it is easier to scan it all to file and then set up a batch job in Adobe to OCR it overnight. The trick is to test your batch job first and get it right.

The magic sauce to set up a batch job is here - http://blogs.adobe.com/acrolaw/2005/...r_using_1.html

(I think I originally posted a version of this reply to the wrong thread)

Forum Links
Forum Rules