Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Best Way to Run MacOS = Athlon PC?

Best Way to Run MacOS = Athlon PC?
SpeedRacer
Senior User
Oct 25, 2001, 07:42 AM

This is somewhat old news by now, what do folks think? Will the next Photoshop bake-off be featuring Athlons @ 1.5gHz?

Transitive Technologies will demonstrate PowerPC based applications running at well over 1+ GHz equivalent PowerPC speeds on a 1.4 GHz AMD Athlon processor today at the Microprocessor Forum. In the company's demonstration, a PC will be running an X86 Linux distribution, and PowerPC compiled Linux applications are running using Transitive's Dynamite code morphing engine.

Transitive to demonstrate a virtual 1+ GHz PowerPC

Speed

Cipher13
Oct 25, 2001, 09:12 AM

Apple will find some way (firmware, ROMs, etc) to stop the MacOS from being run this way... but, there are ways around such things.

If I can run the MacOS and all apps with full compatibility on an Athlon... I'll be the first in line.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2001, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>Apple will find some way (firmware, ROMs, etc) to stop the MacOS from being run this way... but, there are ways around such things.

If I can run the MacOS and all apps with full compatibility on an Athlon... I'll be the first in line.</STRONG>
And I'll be right behind you Ciph.........

Athlon and G4? **Drool**

superlarry
Senior User
Oct 25, 2001, 10:47 AM

i've heard it rumored that Athlon is being approached as a potential producer of the G5.. (mosr.com, cite reliability as you please)

Forum Links
Forum Rules