Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > so what now.........do I go for the powerbook

so what now.........do I go for the powerbook
iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2004, 05:10 PM

Ok, so I waited for MWSF and no price drops, do I wait till late Jan. when Apple is notorious for updating computers, or do I throw caution to the wind and go get one right now, or do I get an Ibook to hold me over till new powerbooks are released, pawn the Ibook and use that cash towards a new powerbook.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2004, 05:15 PM

I have my Powerbook and I love it.

You wait you wont be disappointed.....You get it now and you also will not be disappointed.

No real point in waiting to see whats new that will come out cause you will always be waiting for something more

vinster
Senior User
Jan 6, 2004, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Daracle:
I have my Powerbook and I love it.

You wait you wont be disappointed.....You get it now and you also will not be disappointed.

No real point in waiting to see whats new that will come out cause you will always be waiting for something more
I'm tempted to get a new 15" Al G4 but might just stick with my trusty Pismo until there's a PowerBook G5 available. Steve said they've got some exciting things planned this year for the G5.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 05:38 PM

iREZ: Like you, I was hoping that this MacWorld would bring updated PowerBooks. My guess is that if there are any type of updates they will be minor. Steve & Co. might be rolling out G5 PowerBooks late this year, no one knows. If you wait, there will ALWAYS be faster, lighter, stronger, prettier machines. As soon as I get a job, I'm going to walk into the Apple Store and walk out with a new 15" PowerBook. *Crosses fingers and anxiously awaits response from job recruiter.*

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2004, 06:13 PM

I agree with the whole "if you wait now your always goin to wait and never get anything" I just dont wanna get a 1GHz PB now and in less then a month see its value drop because they bumped it up to 1.25GHz.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2004, 06:25 PM

So get a 1.25 then

Who reads this???

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2004, 06:29 PM

If only this poor college student could.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2004, 06:52 PM

Ah....
I see
Who reads this???

Happy Phantom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2004, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
iREZ: Like you, I was hoping that this MacWorld would bring updated PowerBooks. My guess is that if there are any type of updates they will be minor. Steve & Co. might be rolling out G5 PowerBooks late this year, no one knows. If you wait, there will ALWAYS be faster, lighter, stronger, prettier machines. As soon as I get a job, I'm going to walk into the Apple Store and walk out with a new 15" PowerBook. *Crosses fingers and anxiously awaits response from job recruiter.*
The new iLife apps look tempting. I especially liked the demo in which Jobs scrolled through thumbnails of 25,000 pictures in no time. Available "in stores" on January 16 for $50, but will it also be bundled on PBs purchased on the website on or after January 16? Is it worth it to wait ten days and see, or buy now and pay the $20 for the upgrade offered to buyers of macs on or after January 6? $2/day.

Decisions, decisions...
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
- Hunter S. Thompson

coolmacdude
Senior User
Jan 6, 2004, 07:10 PM

I'm amazed they were able to fit 2 2Ghz G5s in a 1U enclosure. That has to be a positive sign for a G5 PB in the not too distant future.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 07:17 PM

Happy Phantom: Good question. For me, I'm going to wait til the 16th then get the PowerBook. My guess is that by then, the new iLife will be pre-installed on the PowerBooks, or would come as a free CD package with a Mac purchase.

Hamburglar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2004, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Happy Phantom: Good question. For me, I'm going to wait til the 16th then get the PowerBook. My guess is that by then, the new iLife will be pre-installed on the PowerBooks, or would come as a free CD package with a Mac purchase.
Maybe because the feed was garbage, but I got the impression from Stevie that Macs ordered begining today would come with the new iLife, but that if you were ordering the software it would be available Jan 16 (perhaps delay for production/packaging).

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 10:40 PM

Hey all,

I too am all saved up, money in the bank for a new PB. I did NOT expect new Powerbooks at MWSF, as it is just coming up on 4 months since the last update. I know there was an insane 11 month wait in 2003, but on average Apple updates their products every 6 months or so. This means that March would be the ideal month. If you couple that with the fact that Apples $700 Powerbook trade in program ends on March 27th and I think you will see new Powerbooks in April. Watch for Apple to clear the product channels, which they are doing with the trade in program but I think they will also price drop at some point too.

...just my thoughts!

Happy Phantom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2004, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Hamburglar:
Maybe because the feed was garbage, but I got the impression from Stevie that Macs ordered begining today would come with the new iLife, but that if you were ordering the software it would be available Jan 16 (perhaps delay for production/packaging).

Just not sure. The "Up-to-date" offer would seem to suggest January 16.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
- Hunter S. Thompson

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2004, 03:37 PM

For everyone who is not clear about the iLife suite and the cost. Here is a transcript of the Keynote speech from Stve Jobs at MacWorld yesterday Jan.6, 2004. Note it's in REVERSE chronological order, so read it from the bottom up:

- Jobs: So, iLife 04. Avail on Jan 16th. 10 days from day. Now the iPod...
- Showing video for iLife. Eligah wood, sheryl crow, tony hawk etc...
- First companion product. "JamPack" - more instruments etc... over 2000 more loops, 15 more guitar amps, over 100 more instruments. JamPack - $99. Avail Jan 16th. Other companion product. Keyboard. 49 key entry level KB for $99
- Free with every new Mac!
- Comparing to how much it would cost on the PC. Add it all up - over $300 and it's nowhere near as good as these apps or integrated. iLife 04 => $49.00

- iLife 04 (iDVD, iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, GarageBand). How much?

Here is the Link if you want to read the whole thing.

Hope this helps.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2004, 04:04 PM

If you need it/want it then get it I fyou wait and wait you will never get one. There will always be faster machines. If you need one then get it now. If you want to wait then do so. Just remember you can wait for a new machine but 8-10 months later there will probably be an upadate. Why not just wait for that one instead?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Marchangel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2004, 08:10 PM

Ahhhh - The famous Apple-waiting game.

Thats the most difficult game in the life of a mac-mind. There are a handfull rules:

1. Never buy a Revision A
2. Never buy before a keynote
3. Never buy immediatly after they come out - wait if they have bugs, wait for benchmarks, wait for real-work-opinions
4. You couldnt anyway buy them immediately - because of Apple-delivery problems
5. If Hardware is more than 2 months old people start to think about next generation
6. As soon as you decide to buy your new computer rumours are that double-processor-powerbooks/G5 or anything like that are just around the corner.
7. Around the corner means half a year to never.

Ok, here is my advice: buy when you need it/want it/have the money for it. If you want to wait for G5 Powerbooks - you should definitly wait for Rev. B., and that could be a very long wait - and think about it - you could have some fun now, a beautiful time instead of the miserable life you are spending with waiting. You could have the beauty of your own powerbook now to play and work with. It will cost money, but it makes your time so much more valueable....not in the future, but instantly.

Greetz,
Marchangel

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2004, 08:24 PM

Finally a post that helps me, Thanks. I think Imma wait till the 16th and just go get one.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2004, 10:35 PM

I disagree with the people that say if you wait you will never get one. I think you should not get one if there has been around 4-6 months since the last update to the type of computer you want. It's almost certain that the new one is coming out soon and you will regret not waiting a month or two more. It's a little heartbreaking when your computer is not longer current and if the 'freshness' of having the 'latest' lasts 6-9 months you will feel much better than if it's gone in a month. My advice it to order/buy within a month after a computer you 'must have' comes out.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2004, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Marchangel:
Ahhhh - The famous Apple-waiting game.

Thats the most difficult game in the life of a mac-mind. There are a handfull rules:

1. Never buy a Revision A
2. Never buy before a keynote
3. Never buy immediatly after they come out - wait if they have bugs, wait for benchmarks, wait for real-work-opinions
4. You couldnt anyway buy them immediately - because of Apple-delivery problems
5. If Hardware is more than 2 months old people start to think about next generation
6. As soon as you decide to buy your new computer rumours are that double-processor-powerbooks/G5 or anything like that are just around the corner.
7. Around the corner means half a year to never.

Ok, here is my advice: buy when you need it/want it/have the money for it. If you want to wait for G5 Powerbooks - you should definitly wait for Rev. B., and that could be a very long wait - and think about it - you could have some fun now, a beautiful time instead of the miserable life you are spending with waiting. You could have the beauty of your own powerbook now to play and work with. It will cost money, but it makes your time so much more valueable....not in the future, but instantly.

Greetz,
Marchangel
Ditto.
Having been through the same routine year after year, I know it's hard to make that decision to wait or go- but there really are arguments both ways, but I would just go for it now, if you can. No matter what brand computer you buy, the waiting game can drive you mad.

Hamburglar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2004, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by Hamburglar:

Lol...gotta reply to my own post. Here's my deal - since I was a bebe, I've used Macs. My dad was cool enough to buy one in 1984 as he was in the advertising industry, so I grew up with them. People thought he was crazy - and really they did - and he became very sucessful. So, anyways, I grew up with them. In college I was in the first group of Apple's campus rep program (freakin' incredible, if it's still going - "wait, they want to send me to 'the campus' to train?!?" - if it is and you're in Hied, do it), but soon thereafter left that position and my Mac tech ass. job.

Built my own PC. It was affordable, and I figured I was fooling myself to not know it inside/out if I was somewhat interested in IT.

Fast forward...been out of school for a year, finally got a great job with a company using almost totally PCs, many tablets (but all us "Art" peeps get Macs), and it was time to go back. To enjoy an OS (I've been on my Dual 1.8GHz for four weeks), and feel, man, I don't know - empowered?!? Ok, comfortable. No, it just feels good. I enjoy it. And I haven't used a Mac OS besides 9 and earlier.

Ok...rambling...

Earlier today I bit the bullet and placed my order for a 15" 1.25 w/ superdrive, wireless mouse, .Mac, G3 iPod 40, and the inner-ear headphones (I'm a vocalist whose recorded in all sorts of environments, so I've got decent ears, and I'll be sure to report on these 'phones over the stock iPods for anyone wondering). I can't f**king wait.

It's good to be back.

Cheers,
'burglar.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2004, 11:38 AM

Here is the best thing to go by. If you are in dire need of one, say for work or what not then get one now. If you can afford to wait then wait and see if there is something better. If you can wait for a Rev B of a new model even better. I waited til the Rev B 12" Al's came out before I even considered/could afford it.

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2004, 03:49 PM

Heres the thing, I'm pretty much goin to get the 12inch Combo PB, and the only reason Im not is because Im affraid the GPU is going to be upgraded in the next rev, I could careless about a speed bump 1 vs 1.25 isnt too much a concern but 32mb vs 64mb is, do you guys think its possible for apple to make this in their next revisions, or is that closing the gap too much on the 15 inch, because if not then my decision will be lots more easier. Im pretty much decided on the 12 inch combo and Im pretty sure imma get it on the 16th unless you guys can prove that the GPU will be upgraded

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2004, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Heres the thing, I'm pretty much goin to get the 12inch Combo PB, and the only reason Im not is because Im affraid the GPU is going to be upgraded in the next rev, I could careless about a speed bump 1 vs 1.25 isnt too much a concern but 32mb vs 64mb is, do you guys think its possible for apple to make this in their next revisions, or is that closing the gap too much on the 15 inch, because if not then my decision will be lots more easier. Im pretty much decided on the 12 inch combo and Im pretty sure imma get it on the 16th unless you guys can prove that the GPU will be upgraded
There really is no way to know what they will do. THAT is the problem. If you get it now and they upgrade then you wil lhave wished you waited. If they don't then you might have wished you got it sooner. So far the 32 MEgs on the rev b. isn't too bad. I've been able to do everything I've needed to.

ablao
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2004, 02:29 AM

Hi all,

I'm in the same Apple-waiting game. I was waiting to get a 15 AlBook
till after Keynote. Now waiting until the 16th when iLife '04 comes out. But what do you think of this...the next weekend is the 24th...
Mac's 20th b-day. Do you think they'll have a special event on that day? When Panther came out, they had that 10% off sale. What about 20% off...that would be interesting.

guigo
Jan 9, 2004, 07:50 AM

Hi, this is what i think

I was in the apple game after selling my 667 powerbook.

Then, I read an article saying G5 will not be real 64bits, the reason of his existence, the great beauty in my opinion, for so long. This is the real big step and we all have to wait until this day

G5 is amazing faster, oh yeah, but I don't need profissional equipment to rip my mp3 in 10sec. But that is just me, :-)

The G4 PB's deliver what ever you need, as you can read in many, many topics around MacNN.

Then, the common rev. A problems, the common delivery problems when a new product is launched and the price I think it may cost.

I'm considering the PB G5 as a pair of jeans. When you buy, it take some time to become comfortable, to adapt to your body.

I will wait until G5 feels really goooood inside a nice PB case :-)

Best regards

Guigo, writing in a G4 17 1.33 1GB RAM awesome PB

Zatt
Jan 9, 2004, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Ok, so I waited for MWSF and no price drops, do I wait till late Jan. when Apple is notorious for updating computers, or do I throw caution to the wind and go get one right now, or do I get an Ibook to hold me over till new powerbooks are released, pawn the Ibook and use that cash towards a new powerbook.
Throw caution to the wind. The 15" PB is a beauty.

initiald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2004, 11:35 PM

I also want a 12" 1GHz but i want a superdrive,i think i will wait 3 months more, they have to upgrade the Powerbooks big time, might be the G5 or the new G3+ going at 1.4Ghz any way the jump will be a big one. Even with out the graphics card update the G3+ 1.4Ghz is rumored to have a 400FSB and support 400Mhz DDR.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2004, 12:40 AM

iREZ,

I'd wait. The powerbook speedbump will come soon. If you buy one now and the Powerbooks are upgrade 1-2 months later, you'll be pissed.

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2004, 02:35 AM

I think buy when you absolutely need. If you can still wait, then you probably don't need the notebook right now.

For those playing the waiting game, don't forget that you'll have to add about 1 month to the 'announcement date' before you will realistically get your hands on the new powerbook.

Personally, I think there is no better time to get a powerbook than now. Because any updates will be incremental at most. Radical changes will come with the G5 chip, but it is not advisable to get Rev A of any product.

I waited a LONG time for Rev B of the 12" powerbook and won't want to go through that again . Now I can use it for 2~3 years, then get a 2~3rd generation G5 powerbook .
1GHz PB 12" / 768MB / 60GB / OS X 10.3.9

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Jan 11, 2004, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by Spliff:
iREZ,

I'd wait. The powerbook speedbump will come soon. If you buy one now and the Powerbooks are upgrade 1-2 months later, you'll be pissed.
If he's looking at a 15" the bump between 1.25 and 1.33 isn't really worth waiting for. The margin between the two is pretty much inconsequential. Even the jump between 1ghz and 1.25 isn't that big. Just buy it and start enjoying it. I seriously doubt the average user will ever even be in a situation where the diff between 1.25 and 1.33 can be noticed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules