Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > SuperDrive ain't so super

SuperDrive ain't so super
Dougmc
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2004, 09:20 AM

My brother-in-law stopped by the other day with some CDs that he had created containing some files he wanted me to see.

We have a playful PC-vs-Mac relationship that fuels fun little jabs at one another about our respective machines. This day was no different.

I took one of the PC-produced CDs and slid it into my rev. A 17" PowerBook and immediately got into a conversation with my brother-in-law. After a few minutes, it dawned on me that the CD never loaded. I didn't want to bring this little faux pas to his attention, so I nonchalantly ejected the disc and re-inserted it into the drive again casually paying closer attention to what was, or more accurately wasn't, happening.

Jumping to the end of this story�the CD wouldn't load into my PowerBook with a not so super SuperDrive.

However, when we retired to my office upstairs to see how my older iMac (Sage) with a ComboDrive would handle the disc we discovered that it had no problem at all mounting the media immediately. Then to test matters even further, we threw the PC-created disc into an even older G3 beige machine I'm using as a server and low-and-behold it too had no issues mounting the disc.

Simple question: Why does this PC-created disc act like kryptonite to my SuperDrive?
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2004, 11:36 AM

Good question. Wonder if it works in a display model at an Apple store. If so there may be something wrong with your 17". Is the CD perfectly clean or is it scratched?

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2004, 12:05 PM

Me too had a same problem when I inserted a PC formatted CD, it's freeze in my drive won't get out. I almost frustrated by it but force it with A+del/ eject/f12 button, after several tries it came out. Pheeeww I almost blew the SD, thanks God it's still under warranty otherwise...

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2004, 12:09 PM

Maybe it is a multi-session CD, or the disc is not closed after burning. My SuperDrive on PB has problem of recognizing them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules