Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Whine - whats the latest?

Macbook Whine - whats the latest?
dec
Jun 17, 2006, 10:03 AM

Hey guys,

Whats the latest situation regarding the whine? I'm noticing lately that the mbpquiet script REALLY impacts on my battery life. All isight camera solution no longer work on my machine. Id be inclined to turn off mbpquiet in favour of battery life but the whine just gets too bad.

It wasnt too much of a major issues for me cause the machine was so good, but not its starting to become a pain for a near 3000 laptop to have a niggle.

Any other solution come out over the last while? Anyone know if the latest models still whine?

I bought my girlfriend a macbook which arrived last week as its fab. No problems of any kind, I was kinda pissed that a machine that cost me half the price seemed to be built so much better.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2006, 10:39 AM

It still sounds like the whine is inductor whine... and you're not going to solve that without burning more power (like mbpquiet does) or reengineering the logic board.

Neub Detat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2006, 01:10 PM

half the price, half the problems? haha. That's the way it's starting to look like now.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2006, 08:24 AM

So brand new MBPs still have the whine?

ali-son
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2006, 08:43 AM

I just got my BTO 2.16 gig 15" last week. I suppose I don't have the whine because I don't hear anything but the fans which come on from time to time. Is there anything I can do to really test if I have the whine or not? Can the whine develop over time?

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by ali-son
I just got my BTO 2.16 gig 15" last week. I suppose I don't have the whine because I don't hear anything but the fans which come on from time to time. Is there anything I can do to really test if I have the whine or not? Can the whine develop over time?
If you can't hear any change when you launch and quit Photobooth, then there's most likely no whine.

ali-son
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2006, 10:18 AM

Tried Photo Booth. I'm happy to report that my MBP (SN W86231...)has no whine. But might it develop at some later point?

dialo
Senior User
Jun 21, 2006, 11:23 AM

week 21 here: sometimes hear the whine, the vast majority of the time I don't. Strangely, in some dead quiet rooms I've been able to hear it clearly while in other dead quiet rooms I can't hear it at all. It's very strange, but it was consistent. There didn't seem to be any difference in the ambient noise and certainly not remotely enough difference to make it loud in one room and not the other, but that's how it was.

That said, I've been hearing it a lot less frequently over the past week. Even when I first got it I couldn't hear the whine90% of the time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules