Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Time Machine setup help

Time Machine setup help
PhotoBug
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2008, 10:25 PM

--- Can Timecapsule handle a USB hub with printer and HD attached?
And/or can the Airport handle 2HD's and a printer using a USB hub?
( Last edited by PhotoBug; Jan 23, 2008 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Drunk and tired during first post...)

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2008, 02:34 PM

You already stated you realize you use Time Machine in a non-standard way, but that is a very bad idea. Time Machine only keeps copies for so long. Depending on how often things change on your computer, that would be not long at all! I forgot to set a privacy preference, and Time Machine was backing up a 8 GB virtual disk image every time that I was using Parallels. That can eat up hard drive space rather quickly.

There is no guarantee that Apple will make backing up via Time Machine to an AEBS with a hard drive attached supported. I read a rumor that it was in 10.5.2, but who knows. Until that actually lands, no one knows.

I have not explicitly tried, but you should be able to hook up a hub to the USB port on the AEBS, and plug in 2 (or more) hard drives for storage (perhaps not Time Machine though). You should then be able to plug in a printer as well.

You also mention a wireless mouse plugged into the base station. I don't see how anything like that would work.

Are you and your roommates on the same wireless network? If so, you can protect the disks attached to the base station with a separate username/password, so they cannot access it. If you have your own network that is encrypted (WPA, not WEP) then you are fairly secure.
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2008, 03:01 PM

It sounds like what you need is another drive to archive old stuff that you might need.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2008, 03:46 PM

Wait for 10.5.2 to come out to see whether Apple supports backing up to a NAS (network attached storage) device. Time Capsule is basically a NAS + wireless base station, but if all you care about is the disk storage part you'll be able to buy a NAS device for much cheaper than Time Capsule.

PhotoBug  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2008, 02:08 AM

can timecapsule drive a usb hub... with printer, 2.4 ghz wireless mouse (dongle attached), and a 250 HD? because it says on apples site that the base station can handle HD's and printers and i didn't know if it could handle both at the same time.
LOL Sorry my last original question was such a story! Very tired last time.

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2008, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by PhotoBug View Post
can timecapsule drive a usb hub... with printer, 2.4 ghz wireless mouse (dongle attached), and a 250 HD? because it says on apples site that the base station can handle HD's and printers and i didn't know if it could handle both at the same time.
LOL Sorry my last original question was such a story! Very tired last time.
It can handle multiple hard drives thought a hub (I just tried), so it should handle hard drives and printers at the same time.

It will not share a wireless mouse. It is NOT sharing the USB items directly, so scanners, mice, etc. will NOT be shared.

PhotoBug  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2008, 03:45 AM

Thank you for trying . Thats good to know.
When you say "not sharing" you mean... Not working? I don't like plugging in a wireless dongle to my laptop and wanna just plug it into the hub (that will be) under my desk. Not gonna work?

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2008, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by PhotoBug View Post
Thank you for trying . Thats good to know.
When you say "not sharing" you mean... Not working? I don't like plugging in a wireless dongle to my laptop and wanna just plug it into the hub (that will be) under my desk. Not gonna work?
Correct. It won't work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules