Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Email options

Email options
LDB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2012, 01:37 PM

With my pc I used Firefox and had a tab for yahoo mail and a tab for gmail and now and then a tab to check the other two. With my new MBP I clicked on the stamp with the eagle and put my 4 emails into it. On one of the two yahoo emails it repeatedly asks for my password even though I click save to the keychain. Also, it repeatedly puts a tilde next to it and makes it offline or something.

Is there a good email freeware or shareware?

Is it better to just use Safari and go online like I used to?

Thanks for any and all advice.

LDB  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2012, 12:31 PM

I think I'll give Thunderbird a try since it's free and if that doesn't do it will go from there.
( Last edited by LDB; Jun 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM. )

LDB  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2012, 01:17 PM

Well, no matter what I do Thunderbird won't accept my mail password so I guess I won't be using it.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2012, 02:47 PM

If Mail.app and Thunderbird both have the same problem, the problem most likely lies with your account. Make sure the PW is correct.

LDB  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2012, 03:29 PM

Well, I went into yahoo and changed my password. The old one was what I thought it was because it took when I put it in. The new one is what I thought I was changing it to because when I go through Safari to yahoo it takes it. When I put it into Thunderbird it rejects it. I don't know what the deal is but guess I'll just use Safari for email.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2012, 07:27 PM

Do you have Yahoo Plus? You need to pay for POP/IMAP access for Yahoo. GMail works fine without and I believe Mail.app auto configs either (but again, Yahoo won't work without paying).

If it's not your password it's something else in the config. I use Mail.app, Outlook 2011 and have used Thunderbird (and it's derivative, PostBox) flawlessly with Yahoo, GMail, Verizon, and Zoho Email so they work fine. Email's pretty simple so I bet your problem is one of configuration and is easy to overlook.

LDB  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2012, 12:00 AM

I don't pay anything to yahoo so I guess that's it. I'll just keep going through my browser because that works and I don't want to pay for something that is working as is. Thanks for your time and input. I appreciate it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules