Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow leopard: Release

Snow leopard: Release (Page 10)
Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2009, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by AppleGirl1990 View Post
It's ready now. How else could they say September?
If it truly wasn't ready now, they wouldn't be able to give a date of completion.
Vandelay Industries

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2009, 03:48 AM

If it truly wasn't ready now, they wouldn't be able to give a date of completion.
You are starting to get really, really annoying.

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2009, 10:37 AM

Harlot, you are starting to get really really annoying as well.
All you do is provide negativity to the forum.
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

Koralatov
Senior User
Jun 21, 2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
*sigh*

Who friggin cares? Apple said September, that's when they'll release it. Why bother bringing it up?
Because she made a fool of herself about the features thing, and now wants to shift focus onto something else to gripe about?

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I second that.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2009, 12:49 PM

Have you ever actually done any work in your life? When I start to put together a paper, it's certainly not finished — it's a bunch of empty folders, blank Quark files and huge stacks of newsprint — but I can tell you with absolute certainty when I will have it done.

Also, saying that software is "ready" is a bit fuzzy. Depending on how few features you want and how many bugs you're willing to accept, anything could be said to be ready now.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

P
Jun 21, 2009, 04:46 PM

Yes they would. Development passes certain milestones. They know when they passed those milestones on 10.6, and they know when they passed them on 10.5 and 10.4 and whatnot. The rest is a question of estimates - also, they give themselves an entire month of margin.

I seem to recall that Apple does RTM (release to manufacturing) some 6 weeks before release, so it's unlikely to be done yet.

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot
I think you may have mentioned that before. Can I invite you to consider the "Ignore List" feature that is available by going to the public profile of any forum user? We used to call them killfiles back in my Usenet days, but apparently they have a newspeak name now.

(These forums are full of annoying people, and commenting each and everyone doesn't help. S/N ratio is too low as it is.)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2009, 04:47 PM

I can't see how SL could be ready now when common sense says developers are testing theirs apps against the OS X build they got from Apple's WWDC. :-/

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2009, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I think you may have mentioned that before. Can I invite you to consider the "Ignore List" feature that is available by going to the public profile of any forum user?
I appreciate the effort to increase the S/N ration, while simultaneously decreasing it.

I assure you, I'm quite familiar with this mystical feature, and plunked it has.

Although I'd argue that this thread had run its course anyway, especially since we have a release timeframe.

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2009, 07:53 PM

How will snow leopard affect my new iMac? Or is it really just meant for the MacPro's?
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2009, 09:45 PM

Meant for the Mac Pro's what?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2009, 09:48 PM

Mac Pro's keyboard, CharlesS.

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2009, 10:22 PM

Let me rephrase. Will my iMac see much of a difference or is it just the higher end machines like the MacPro that will see the major benefits of the new operating system?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2009, 10:51 PM

Snow Leopard will benefit all Intel machines, and more specifically, those with 64-bit processors and those with the proper graphics card to support OpenCL.

Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Technical specifications

OpenCL:
NVIDIA Geforce 8600M GT, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GTS, Geforce 9400M, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce GT 120, GeForce GT 130, ATI Radeon 4850, Radeon 4870

Grand Central Dispatch:
requires a Mac with a multicore processor (Read: Core Duo, Core 2 Duo)
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

jay3ld
Senior User
Jun 21, 2009, 11:24 PM

Windows 7 will be released in October and Ubuntu will have its 9.10 release in October as well (I can't verify any other linux distros). I expect Apple did this as a way to push their operating system before other competition.
You shouldn't make fun of nerds... you'll be working for one some day.

OreoCookie
Jun 22, 2009, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I appreciate the effort to increase the S/N ration, while simultaneously decreasing it.
So are you with your post. Now let's get back on topic, shall we?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2009, 04:45 AM

Windows 7 will be released in October and Ubuntu will have its 9.10 release in October as well (I can't verify any other linux distros). I expect Apple did this as a way to push their operating system before other competition.
How is Ubuntu competition for Mac OS X and why would Apple have to care about it ??

jersey
Senior User
Jun 27, 2009, 03:25 PM

Is the new Quicktime in the most recent SL seed? I'm interested in finding out more about the ColorSync support. I have a project coming up in mid September where color accuracy is crucial, and if the QT CS support is the developer seeds of SL I may run that instead of burning to DVD ...

I'm not an ADC member, but would happily pony up for a membership if these featues have already been enabled.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2009, 03:54 PM

Honestly I don't the back to school kids are gonna have issues, I imagine half of them won't even know snow leopard came out, but they'll have one Mac user friend that will steal their machine for half an hour and update their OS and they'll be happy. I imagine Snow Leopard will probably be one of the most pirated versions of OS X ever released, which I mean... really isn't that bad of a thing.

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2009, 07:25 AM

I don't think that many people will pirate SL because it's so cheap to purchase!

cvisors
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2009, 08:11 AM

Well it's been a long time between drinks, used to be active here (reading mostly) way back (last visited in 2005)

Anyway I have been playing with the developer release of 10.6 (build no 10A402a)

Some things I've noticed.

Boot up time and login time is a lot faster compared with 10.5.

holding down 6 and 4 during the boot process will boot the 64 bit kernel =)

speed speed and more speed! It seems faster, I can't compare on a snapyness scale (ahh the old days and the rumours of "debugging code")

Text substitution, this is great, but can't seem to get it to work in mail yet, but one can set a combo of characters to represent something like (c) will get substituted © so far it seems to only work in text edit (but I could be doing something wrong.)

What else.. Well it's becoming a mature OS now, it's been how long almost 10 years. But little things make it so much better =)

Anyway that's about it from me now =)

~Ivy

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2009, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by cvisors View Post
holding down 6 and 4 during the boot process will boot the 64 bit kernel =)
64bit kernel isn't the default?

cvisors
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2009, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
64bit kernel isn't the default?
not at present.

But In activity viewer, it will list which processes are 64 bit or not. The finder is 64 bit.

~Ivy

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2009, 12:25 PM

Only the most recent Macs can run the 64bit kernel. Only the most recent Xeon Macs will run it by default.
Vandelay Industries

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2009, 12:48 PM

Interesting. You'd think all 64-bit capable hardware would run the 64-bit kernel.

Does the new Finder menutask?
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jul 15, 2009 at 02:44 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cvisors
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2009, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Interesting. You'd think all 64-bit capable hardware would run the 64-bit kernel.

Does the new Finder menutask?
Yes it does

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2009, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by cvisors View Post
yes it does
woot! Now we just need to work on PPC support and things will be great.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jul 16, 2009 at 07:59 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2009, 01:21 PM

The Finder's being rewritten in Cocoa, so I think it'd get menutasking for free.

As for PPC support, you're going to be waiting a long time on that one.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
The Finder's being rewritten in Cocoa, so I think it'd get menutasking for free.
Nope, I just checked in a Cocoa app I wrote, and dropping a menu pauses animations. No free lunch -- they had to do some extra leg work to get that working in the Finder.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2009, 04:42 PM

Apple is making strange changes to Dock menus: New test build of Snow Leopard has a few visual tweaks - Ars Technica

(image hotlinked)

I can't say I like this. Do they plan to change the menu bar to white text on black too?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Nope, I just checked in a Cocoa app I wrote, and dropping a menu pauses animations. No free lunch -- they had to do some extra leg work to get that working in the Finder.
What animations are you referring to? In Pacifist, all the UI updates, progress bars, and whatnot all seem to perform as usual when a menu is being displayed, and I don't remember having to write any code to do that.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2009, 05:06 PM

I actually like the white on black. It's bold and unusual as a default, but I find it more readable on computer screen.
Chuck
___

Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2009, 05:30 PM

It makes sense to me in that all the dock popouts match - Stacks and menus.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2009, 05:35 PM

What animations are you referring to? In Pacifist, all the UI updates, progress bars, and whatnot all seem to perform as usual when a menu is being displayed, and I don't remember having to write any code to do that.
Start up TextEdit and watch the insertion caret. Now open a menu. Then hit command-S. Look at the "Save" button do its cool pulsating thing. Now open a menu.
Chuck
___

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2009, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Start up TextEdit and watch the insertion caret. Now open a menu. Then hit command-S. Look at the "Save" button do its cool pulsating thing. Now open a menu.
Arguably, it is better that the animations of those two items stop when you do this - your focus should be on the menu (why have you opened it otherwise?) and not drawn away to something pulsating elsewhere on the screen. If it is an UI deficiency, it is a fortuitous one imo.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2009, 02:01 PM

<dev-talk>
In Paintbrush, I have an NSTimer that drives the "bomb" tool's animation. When a menu drops, the timer actually stops firing until the menu is dismissed. So it looks more like menus pause the thread they run on -- in this case, the main thread.
</dev-talk>

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2009, 02:13 PM

Back to 64 bit kernel for a few... is that only in the developer builds that 64 bit as a default is limited to such a small set of Macs? And if not, is there an option to use 64 bit kernel or will I have to hold down 64 at startup every single time?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 02:40 PM

<dev-talk>
In Paintbrush, I have an NSTimer that drives the "bomb" tool's animation. When a menu drops, the timer actually stops firing until the menu is dismissed. So it looks more like menus pause the thread they run on -- in this case, the main thread.
</dev-talk>
Wrong. The main thread is still going on just fine. The reason your timer isn't firing is because you only have it registered to run in NSDefaultRunLoopMode. When you are in a menu, performing a mouse drag, etc., the run loop mode changes to NSEventTrackingRunLoopMode. Similarly, when a modal dialog box pops up, you'll switch to NSModalPanelRunLoopMode. This is a feature, not a bug. For timers that don't make sense in a certain mode, like Chuckit's example of the insertion point, which is unnecessary during a menu event, you don't want your timer firing during that mode, so it doesn't. If it does make sense for your timer to fire during those other modes, then just add it to the run loop using -[NSRunLoop addTimer:forMode:] for the modes you want, or just use NSRunLoopCommonModes to have it run in all of them.

Of course, if your "bomb" tool's animation is distracting if it's running while a menu is down, then you probably won't want to do this. Which is the reason this is designed this way anyway.

In case you still don't believe me, I made you a little example app to demonstrate: TimerTest
( Last edited by CharlesS; Jul 20, 2009 at 03:00 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2009, 02:44 PM

<dev-talk>
</dev-talk>
<more dev-talk>
It doesn't stop the thread. Opening a menu switches the runloop to NSEventTrackingRunLoopMode. Timers that have only been registered for NSDefaultRunLoopMode won't fire because they aren't supposed to.
<more dev-talk>
Chuck
___

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2009, 02:51 PM

<dev-talk>
I coulda sworn I just said that.
</dev-talk>

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2009, 03:11 PM

<dev-talk>
Ah, that makes sense. My theory has been disproven! Shame and regret...
</dev-talk>

I do like the white-on-black scheme for the Dock contextual menus. It's a logical expansion of the dock's unique motif, as shown in Stacks and the Dock-on-the-side-of-the-screen style.

I wonder if they've exposed the Dock UI toggle (3D versus black-and-white) through the Preferences app yet. Anyone running SL wanna check that out?

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2009, 11:30 AM

Dang can't wait for Snow Leopard, entirely tempted to pirate it, but I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna wait for the disc in store... considering I didn't buy Leopard I should probably buy Snow Leopard... and then install it on all four of my family's Macs

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2009, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Dang can't wait for Snow Leopard, entirely tempted to pirate it, but I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna wait for the disc in store... considering I didn't buy Leopard I should probably buy Snow Leopard... and then install it on all four of my family's Macs
Aww, just buy the damn family pack -- it's still only $49. And it's the Right™ thing to do.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2009, 01:57 PM

I gay pirate, I see...

-t

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2009, 03:01 PM

I prefer the term butt pirate.

Anyway, I used to always pay for software, then I had bought a copy of Macromedia Fireworks MX, I upgraded to Panther and my Wacom tablet stopped working with Fireworks. Instead of releasing some sort of patch, Macromedia released as a FEATURE in the 2004 version tablet support... which had already been there before! (It was a newer tablet at the time too there was no excuse) given that working with my tablet was the only thing I really wanted, I pirated it. Then iWork came out after the intel Macs came out, the new feature of the next version was universal binary and reflections... and I actually paid for it cause I assumed Apple wouldn't have been so stupid as to charge me 80 bucks for reflections? Turned out they were.

After that my thoughts on paying for software have changed a bit, in some cases I will pay, for example a small developer, or an app store purchase since that's a growing market and really I am who they make their money off of. For example creative suite 3, Adobe as I understand still offers no discounts for non-profits, and they buggered up their consumer product horribly, and they're hardly hurting for cash because it's mainly art departments and other large customers that pay their bills.

As well I'll probably be getting a new machine that will come with a copy of SL

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2009, 02:13 AM

And here I thought you started pirating because Adobe discriminated against your church.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2009, 11:29 AM

For example creative suite 3, Adobe as I understand still offers no discounts for non-profits
And they're under an obligation to do so? Do you work for whatever someone feels like paying you, even if it's ridiculously low?

and they buggered up their consumer product horribly, and they're hardly hurting for cash because it's mainly art departments and other large customers that pay their bills.
Keep telling yourself that.
Chuck
___

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
And they're under an obligation to do so? Do you work for whatever someone feels like paying you, even if it's ridiculously low?

Keep telling yourself that.
Actually right now yes, but that's mainly because I can't think of another job that I'd rather switch to, I'm a little in between knowing what I want to do, and this one serves me OK not to mention I can do practically anything I might want to do since they know firing me would be really stupid since this store is nearly impossible to staff.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2009, 01:04 PM

Salty, my advice to you: don't cling to that leverage that you have over your employer. Having leverage over an employer is not as uncommon as one might think, I believe. If you don't enjoy retail, don't stick around only because of this power.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2009, 01:13 PM

I can do practically anything I might want to do since they know firing me would be really stupid since this store is nearly impossible to staff.
Don't hold your breath on that.

Companies make all kinds of stupid and irrational decisions

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2009, 02:14 PM

How did this thread get so off-topic?

Forum Links
Forum Rules