Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow leopard: Release

Snow leopard: Release (Page 9)
64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2009, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
There were rumors of a G5 Powerbook, as well.

I guess they were pushed back?
Don't forget about the Apple Tablet.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

cwkmacuser
Senior User
Jun 14, 2009, 06:03 PM

Why is everyone here always sarcastic?
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2009, 06:05 PM

We don't take well to obvious statements, or obviously incorrect ones I guess.

cwkmacuser
Senior User
Jun 14, 2009, 06:18 PM

And so the fact that there was a rumor that SL would be released in June is obviously incorrect? Were you ever on Mac-Forums.com this month? I was.
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2009, 06:20 PM

Are you seriously unable to distinguish between rumor and Apple announcing a release date?

cwkmacuser
Senior User
Jun 14, 2009, 07:21 PM

I see. So Apple announced the release date of June. Then, it was quite obviously delayed, right? And then AppleInsider or something like that had an article containing a rumor that said it would be launched June 8.
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2009, 07:23 PM

*headdesk*

Apple. never. announced. anything.

You're saying that a rumor not coming true constitutes a delay, I'm saying it's not, because they never announced anything

cwkmacuser
Senior User
Jun 14, 2009, 07:26 PM

OK. I'm confused. Apple never said there would be a June release. OK. My point remains:
THERE WAS A RUMOR THAT SNOW LEOPARD WOULD BE RELEASED JUNE 8, 2009!!!
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2009, 07:27 PM

Which, by not coming true, does not constitute a delay, because it was ONLY A RUMOR.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2009, 07:31 PM

Who cares guys? Chill.. Not a big deal.

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2009, 08:44 PM

FishingCox, my point was merely that i am ready for SL. Bring it on.
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2009, 08:45 PM

Wow really?

cwkmacuser
Senior User
Jun 14, 2009, 08:53 PM

This is one reason why I don't spend so much time here. You guys are so critical of me. Just chill. For once I agree with besson on something.
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by cwkmacuser View Post
OK. I'm confused. Apple never said there would be a June release. OK. My point remains:
THERE WAS A RUMOR THAT SNOW LEOPARD WOULD BE RELEASED JUNE 8, 2009!!!
rumor |ˈruːmə| ( Brit. rumour)
noun
a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.

cwkmacuser
Senior User
Jun 14, 2009, 09:05 PM

I'm not stupid. I know the definition of a rumor.
Chris K.
Experienced Mac User

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2009, 09:15 PM

You'll find that people are less critical of you when you just admit you were wrong rather than keep trying to find some way your statement might possibly be true if you look at it sideways and squint while wearing magenta sunglasses.

The fact is that Apple didn't push anything back. There was a rumor about Snow Leopard's release date, but it turned out to be wrong, so there's little reason to cite it now. If you don't repeat patently false rumors, nobody will feel the need to argue about them.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
You'll find that people are less critical of you when you just admit you were wrong rather than keep trying to find some way your statement might possibly be true if you look at it sideways and squint while wearing magenta sunglasses.

The fact is that Apple didn't push anything back. There was a rumor about Snow Leopard's release date, but it turned out to be wrong, so there's little reason to cite it now. If you don't repeat patently false rumors, nobody will feel the need to argue about them.
People in general are lousy at admitting when they are wrong, but none of this warrants subjecting people to endless bickering about the most unimportant stuff imaginable to man. I think our energies would be better spent trying to encourage people to take a lighter tone in here. This place often feels like a Judge Judy rerun marathon.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2009, 09:28 PM

This thread is not about the tone of this thread. If people want to discuss that, they can start a thread on that topic. It's off-topic here.

Also, I have much better hair than Judge Judy.
Chuck
___

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2009, 09:03 AM

We know the Snow Leopard release date: SEPTEMBER. We know the price: DIRT CHEAP. We know many of the NEW FEATUERS Snow Leapard will offer. (Bite you tongue BigMac, Chuckit, drnkn_stylz, Spheric Harlot, and Miniryu....who all said SL wouldn't have new features).

The question we should all be talking about is HOW STABLE OF AN OPERATING SYSTEM WILL SNOW LEOPARD BE???
If STABILITY is touted as one of the main reason to upgrade, but we all know that any new major overhaul of an OS has a history of being buggy and needing further . updates, then how can we expect 100% stability out of the gate?

i think the answer is that we can't and shouldn't. Despite the hype, it's will end up being just like any other Operating System release.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by AppleGirl1990 View Post
If STABILITY is touted as one of the main reason to upgrade, but we all know that any new major overhaul of an OS has a history of being buggy and needing further . updates, then how can we expect 100% stability out of the gate?

i think the answer is that we can't and shouldn't. Despite the hype, it's will end up being just like any other Operating System release.
Seriously, get a freggin blog.

Why do you keep coming back at this same point over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. And agin. AND AGAIN. WTF ?

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2009, 11:20 AM

We know the Snow Leopard release date: SEPTEMBER. We know the price: DIRT CHEAP. We know many of the NEW FEATUERS Snow Leapard will offer. (Bite you tongue BigMac, Chuckit, drnkn_stylz, Spheric Harlot, and Miniryu....who all said SL wouldn't have new features).
Oh yeah, I'm looking at Snow Leopard right now. Check out the hot new features:
"Better, faster, easier." Yeah, I never thought it would have that. Oh, wait, "Next-generation technologies"? What's that about? Oh, apparently they have new technologies that make the OS more efficient. Didn't see it coming! "Exchange support"? Inconceivable!

When Apple lists "accessibility" as a major "feature" of a release, you know they're scraping the bottom of the barrel. All of these amount to just what I said: Not many new major features because Apple is focused on making it more stable and efficient.

The question we should all be talking about is HOW STABLE OF AN OPERATING SYSTEM WILL SNOW LEOPARD BE???
100% stability? Geez, unrealistic expectations much?
Chuck
___

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2009, 11:37 AM

If it was going to have eleventy million new features, it would be a full price update. It doesn't, and its going to be $29. For that $29, you're going to have a smoother running system with a few new features.

Sounds fair enough to me.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2009, 11:41 AM

I'll stand by everything I've said before.

There are no hidden, secret new features that Apple hadn't unveiled before WWDC, no matter what you want to pout about at this point.

In fact, there are fairly few end-user new features at all. Most of what's been done has been under the hood, where an average user won't see it directly.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2009, 01:36 PM

I for one appreciate that Apple's not adding more baloney but instead concentrating on making the already available features faster and rock-stable. I hope other software developers follow.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2009, 02:13 PM

I'll be happy with 6GB more of free space and added snappiness.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2009, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
I'll be happy with 6GB more of free space and added snappiness.
. . . and, and... “stability”.

<ducking>
-HI-

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2009, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I for one appreciate that Apple's not adding more baloney but instead concentrating on making the already available features faster and rock-stable. I hope other software developers follow.
Same here. It's just a little depressing my Radeon HD2400 doesn't support Open CL.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2009, 03:26 PM

Features are BIG things, Expose, Dashboard, Time Machine, Spaces, the Dock, etc. They're typically things that go even beyond the Application and envelop the whole system. Services in contextual menus aren't quite that.

Don't get me wrong I'm stoked for X.6, probably more than I was for X.5. And for me the Finder in Cocoa is one of the things I've always been hoping for. Does that sound weird? But as far as marketable features aside from being faster and more stable Snow Leopard doesn't have much to sell on... and that's good

CIA
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2009, 04:31 PM

My experiences so far with the Developer Preview: 10a380
Pulled every drive out of my MacPro (8x3.2, 16GB Ram, 8800) and installed a old 320 I had in my desk.
Installed regular Leopard, then immediately Installed SL. Install of SL was sloooooow, but then this isn't the final version.
Seems Snappy, but then again, it was a fresh install. Fresh installs are always fast.
Everything in Activity Monitor says 64 bit but one app.
Safari was noticeably faster.
And....that's about it. I didn't install any of my main apps, just kinda played around on it. Pulled the drive out and put back my regular ones.
I don't really have a reason to play on it too much until Final Cut Studio get it's much needed update. In the 45 min or so I had it running it seemed...like Leopard.... Any specific questions?
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2009, 04:36 PM

Does it make french fries? Oh sorry, does it make freedom fries?

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2009, 06:34 PM

Spotlight hasn't been mentioned since page 2.

Does Snow Leopard bring back features Tiger had (better source selection, more view options for the results list), and maybe even add some mind-blowing features to the whole Spotlight/Finder experience (something along the lines of Leap perhaps)? Or even simple improvements... such as remembering the last few *unsaved* searches?

Or is it just like 10.5 is today (still kind of annoying, since Tiger already had some of this stuff)?
-HI-

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2009, 10:14 PM

Harlot, Dock Expose is a FEATURE. oh snap.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2009, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post

Does Snow Leopard bring back features Tiger had (better source selection, more view options for the results list), and maybe even add some mind-blowing features to the whole Spotlight/Finder experience (something along the lines of Leap perhaps)? Or even simple improvements... such as remembering the last few *unsaved* searches?

Or is it just like 10.5 is today (still kind of annoying, since Tiger already had some of this stuff)?
((( crickets chirping )))

Uh huh... so, no news is bad news then?

I mean, what can we say when a switcher throws up a well-crafted post like this:
Returning Mac user looking for help
[it's obvious that seeking "help" isn't the entire purpose -- as much as communicating Spotlight's fail.]

Oh well... guess i'll read that 10.7 thread now.
-HI-

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2009, 02:30 AM

Yeah…it's the super monster FEATURE that just blows our minds.

Originally Posted by AppleGirl1990 ages ago View Post
My point was......since we can't can't rely on SL to be super stable.....we really do need a new "feature" to blow our minds and take our thoughts away from the fact that our super stable OS is crashing/not functioning as it should.
oh snap.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2009, 03:46 AM

how can we expect 100% stability out of the gate?

Be more optimistic AppleGirl, miracles happen, just ask the guy on ajprice's signature.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2009, 06:34 AM

AppleGirl1990 and cwkmacuser are quickly starting to compete for the title of Most Annoying User on the MacNN boards. Was I really that annoying with my youth hubris? Yikes.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2009, 07:03 AM

If it's any consolation, you can still be really annoying at times, erik, but I will agree that you've certainly been surpassed.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 16, 2009 at 08:06 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2009, 07:56 AM

I'm sorry if you think i'm "Annoying".

Just trying to have conversation about SL. I've been looking forward to its release for some time now and i thought some users had unreal expectations of how great it going to be out of the box.

All OS's need incremental updates (.dots) to make them super stable.
SL is no exception!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2009, 08:17 AM

I'm sorry if you think i'm "Annoying".

Just trying to have conversation about SL. I've been looking forward to its release for some time now and i thought some users had unreal expectations of how great it going to be out of the box.
And some users had unreal expectations of when it would be demoed.

And some users had unreal expectations of when it would be released.

And some users had unreal expectations of "killer features" that it has to contain in order to "wow" users into Microsoftian lemming-bliss.

Please, think of the lemmings.

Or just think, for a start.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by cwkmacuser View Post
Why is everyone here always sarcastic?
Yeah, like we're real sarcastic

Koralatov
Senior User
Jun 16, 2009, 09:46 AM

I can see it now: twenty-five foot banners announcing the arrival of Exposé from the Dock, a marching band, the ad spots. Or not.

If I were you, I’d just give up the argument on the features-front. Yes, SL may have a few new features (though I’d say Exposé from the Dock is a refinement, not a feature unto itself), but it's not a feature-rich release, and it's not marketed as such.

I’m merely repeating what the previous posters have said ad nauseum, but it doesn’t render it any less true: Snow Leopard is not about features. You were wrong when you called it as such, so just accept it and stop trying to finagle the facts to back up your specious claims on the subject. It would bring the thread back on topic, and make for more pleasant reading.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2009, 01:14 PM

Man... I'm so glad I keep reading this thread, otherwise I wouldn't have known about the mind blowing subtle features, amazing new refinements, and wonderous tweaks... phew man... I think I'm actually getting kinda aroused by the dramatic changes that will gently make my Mac using experience better...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2009, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
If it's any consolation, you can still be really annoying at times, erik, but I will agree that you've certainly been surpassed.
I'm sure it can certainly seem that way to you.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post

Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Enhancements and Refinements

Thank you.
-HI-

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2009, 08:34 AM

Does Dock Exposé show docked windows? I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned, but if it has I've forgotten.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2009, 09:51 AM

---------------------------------
lets forget about the other comments i've made, don't want to argue those points
---------------------------------

Has anyone given thought to why Apple would release Snow Leopard in September; and not August?
Seems to me that all the back-to-school kids would want to purchase (at the latest) new computers in August because most schools & colleges have already started by September.

So if Apple wants the most amount of people to migrate to SL because it's the best OS they've ever produced, then August would have been the best date. That's what i did at least. I waited to the last possible minute to purchase a new Mac for school (August) so that i knew i was getting the latest and greatest in Apple technology and offerings.

Some people are afraid to upgrade their OS themselves. Just use what's on the computer for years.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2009, 10:51 AM

Has anyone given thought to why Apple would release Snow Leopard in September; and not August?
Because it'll be finished in September, and not August?

Also, a later release won't deter anyone from buying a machine, since everybody who's bought a machine since early June will be eligible for a $10 upgrade.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2009, 11:10 AM

10.1 - September 25, 2001

I use that as an example because that was free for existing 10.0 users and $129 for OS 9 users.

Also, both 10.3 and 10.5 were released in October 2003 and 2007, respectively. 10.4 was released in April 2005. The only August release was for 10.2.

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2009, 12:02 AM

It's ready now. How else could they say September?
If it truly wasn't ready now, they wouldn't be able to give a date of completion.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2009, 12:53 AM

It's ready now. How else could they say September?
If it truly wasn't ready now, they wouldn't be able to give a date of completion.
*sigh*

Who friggin cares? Apple said September, that's when they'll release it. Why bother bringing it up?

Forum Links
Forum Rules