Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Space Shuttle launch in two days

Space Shuttle launch in two days
Gator Lager
Senior User
Jul 12, 2005, 12:41 AM

Anyone coming over. If so come early. 300k to 500k people expected.
So pack a lunch and be patient.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2005, 01:20 AM

I'll be watching it from my couch.

Gator Lager  (op)
Senior User
Jul 12, 2005, 09:46 AM

Watching from the comfort of the couch is boss, but this show needs to be seen live. And of course you have to come to Florida. Come on down and watch the launch and then run from the next hurricane coming (due this weekend).

Unfortunately the public can't get as close as in the past. Once we appease the C.A.I.B. folks maybe we'll start launching at night again. That you have to see in person, instant sunrise.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2005, 11:43 AM

I'm not sure if I will watch the launch not not. I pray that the mission will be successful.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2005, 11:48 AM

I'll be watching.

Here's to hoping they don't need those air mattress patches
Aloha

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 12:33 PM

First shuttle launch in 2.5 years? Opportunity for the terrorists to get a lot of attention here.

Sorry, I'm pessimistic about most things.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 07:26 PM

I'm not as worried about terrorists as I am about quality control..... link I mean WTF?
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 12, 2005, 07:47 PM

It was not immediately clear why the cover - which was held by tape - came loose.
If they call me, I might have an idea why it came loose. I mean, TAPE? One single screw/clamp would be better than tape.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2005, 08:27 PM

Ok. That space shuttle is not launching tomorrow. At least not in my watch.

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2005, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab

If they call me, I might have an idea why it came loose. I mean, TAPE? One single screw/clamp would be better than tape.
GIT-R-DONE!

http://www.octanecreative.com/ductta...ges/carcam.jpg
Aloha

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2005, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab

screws or clamps need to be affixed to the orbiter somehow, too. Unless you actually punch a hole in the skin for a bolt to affix a stupid windscreen protector that is REMOVED prior to launch...tape is the best solution.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 12, 2005, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
screws or clamps need to be affixed to the orbiter somehow, too. Unless you actually punch a hole in the skin for a bolt to affix a stupid windscreen protector that is REMOVED prior to launch...tape is the best solution.
Very interesting. The best solution fell off.

Gator Lager  (op)
Senior User
Jul 13, 2005, 12:43 AM

The great damage was cause by a soft window cover. Yes it was secured by a piece of tape. It fell about 60 feet. The damaged component was replaced within a hour. But the press jump on us and ...... I'll leave it their. They beat us up all the time.

So Tile Technicians kicked butt and fixed the problem. End of story.

Oh the hard window covers are held in place with screws.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2005, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gator Lager
The great damage was cause by a soft window cover. Yes it was secured by a piece of tape. It fell about 60 feet. The damaged component was replaced within a hour. But the press jump on us and ...... I'll leave it their. They beat us up all the time.

So Tile Technicians kicked butt and fixed the problem. End of story.

Oh the hard window covers are held in place with screws.

Do I have to say quality control again?
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Gator Lager  (op)
Senior User
Jul 13, 2005, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by davidflas
Do I have to say quality control again?

Yes we do have Quality Control.
The black box in question has components straight out of the 70's. We ain't talking IC's
here. We're talking Transistors and diodes. The problem is that the birds are tested on the ground numerous times before they go to the pad(s). After 20 plus years of testing, things are going to fail.

The reason we still use old Tech is because a design change costs major bucks. And before any thing gets near the orbiter it has to be ran through the Q.C. gamut of tests. For instance the computers on the I.S.S. (space station) uses Intel 486 Chips. It took them that long to validate the chip. So trust me Sir, nothing gets near the orbiter that hasn't been tested till failure and proved. Sorry I'm thinned skin at the moment. And you're entitled to you opinion. Just please don't base it entirely on what the press writes about us. N.A.S.A. bends over backwards for the press. ? and they make us out to be incompetent idiots. Go figure

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2005, 07:56 AM

I guess my final thoughts on space shuttle quality control are as follows:

Rick D. Husband, William C. McCool, Michael P. Anderson, David M. Brown, Kalpana Chawla, Laurel Blair Salton Clark, IIan Ramon, Ellison S. Onizuka, Sharon Crista McAuliffe, Greg Jarvis, Judy Resnik, Michael J. Smith, Dick Scobee, and Ron McNair.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2005, 10:03 AM

You can watch the launch via the internet here:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules