Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Keeping graphics in email replies

Keeping graphics in email replies
larry k.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 04:14 PM

I use both Mac's and Windows PC's. Right now I'm sending a reply to a Paypal email that has graphics in it. If I send the reply through Outlook it keeps the email looking nice and neat and keeps all the graphics. If I switch to my Mac and try to forward the email all of the graphics get cut out (Entourage & Mail) and I'm only left with the text leaving the email looking a mess in Entourage or color coded sections in Mail. Am I missing a setting somewhere to keep the email unchanged when replying?

I used the Paypal email as an example, it happens for any email with graphics.
power mac g5 - dual 1.8ghz, 1.5gb, 250gb & 160gb, x800 xt, pioneer dvr-108, 10.4

cpac
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2005, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by larry k.:
I used the Paypal email as an example, it happens for any email with graphics.
The email with graphics is a HTML email (works like a web page).

Though Mail.app displays these very well, it doesn't send outgoing HTML email, and so forwarding or replying to an HTML email makes everything break.

There have been many debates on whether HTML email is a good or bad thing (the consensus here seems to be that it's a bad thing), but regardless, Tiger's Mail.app will be able to send HTML mail.

As for Entourage - I was under the impression that it did send HTML email just fine, so I'm not sure why you'd be having a problem with it. I don't use it however, but hopefully somebody else can help you...
cpac

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2005, 04:37 PM

Be nice � send unformatted plain text messages without graphics. Even if a graphic is only a few kb, if you like to keep them and you have hundreds or thousands of e-mails, that quickly adds up to a lot of wasted space. Plain text makes sure that the message is displayed in a font that is ideal for the recipient and can be comfortably read by him.

larry k.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 04:47 PM

I prefer using Mail so I'm not too worried if Entourage does it or not and it's no big deal that I can't do it in Mail. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thank you for the replies.
power mac g5 - dual 1.8ghz, 1.5gb, 250gb & 160gb, x800 xt, pioneer dvr-108, 10.4

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 05:39 PM

Why HTML in E-Mail is a Bad Idea:
http://www.birdhouse.org/etc/evilmail.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules