Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ITMS and deauthorizing computers

ITMS and deauthorizing computers
webb3201
Senior User
Apr 14, 2005, 03:27 PM

Well, apparently I screwed the pooch by forgetting to de-authorize former machines in the ITMS. I am now out of slots. I have sent emails to Apple support to de-authorize all machines with no response. Any to de-authorize machines that I no longer have access to remotely?

K
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2005, 03:36 PM

You can not de-authorize machines you no longer have access to.

Apple may do it as amiability but if they don't do it you are out of luck.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2005, 05:10 PM

Can you not get those machines back?

Though I suppose you have the option of making a new account and trying to use JHymn or something...

mrmister
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 05:45 PM

I think that blows. I screwed up one of my authorizations, and I've been emailing Apple a number of times--no response. It's exactly what people complain about when they complain about DRM not being transparent.

webb3201  (op)
Senior User
Apr 14, 2005, 06:23 PM

That is crummy. I sold most of these computers on ebay long ago and it never crossed my mind that this would be an issue. I think I have one spot left for my Laptop that is en route. I don't understand why they are giving me such a hard time, its not like I can get away with more machine registered. My account name has five slots, if they delete them all and let me restart, it will not give me more slots, the music will still only play on the machines I authorize. I consider myself a fairly " in the know" user, and this is something that never occurred to me, I can only imagine those that have this happen and have no clue its coming.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2005, 09:00 PM

How long have you waited for a response from Apple? I remember having to do this once a couple of years ago and it took a day or two to get a response. I think it's something they have to do manually, rather than an automated feature.
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2005, 03:16 AM

They have to do it manually. Usually it takes a few days. But ifyou sent more than 1 email, wires may have been crossed.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 04:27 AM

I had the same problem. When you sell your computer you have to think of so much that it is easy to forget about iTunes deauthorization. I also suggested in the message to apple to let people manually organize the computers that may have acces to protected music so these problems disappear.
Apple finally deauthorized all my computers:
Thank you for contacting the iTunes Music Store.

We have manually deauthorised your registered computers from the iTunes Music Store. You can now reauthorise the computers that you intend to use.

To protect our customers' privacy, we generally do not perform this service. However, in your case we have made an exception. If you plan to sell or stop using a computer, be sure to deauthorise it before you no longer have access to it.

The catalog of songs grows every week. Visit often to preview the latest.

Sincerely,

The iTunes Music Store Team

Forum Links
Forum Rules