Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > To Photoshop, or Not to Photoshop

To Photoshop, or Not to Photoshop
tavilach
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 04:54 PM

Although we can't afford it, my parents offered to get me a copy of Photoshop ($299). I feel very limited when I use Macromedia Fireworks, which is what I've been using for web design for years. When I see amazing websites, I think to myself, "How on earth would I do that using Fireworks?"

My lack of Photoshop has also left me feeling impaired in many scenarios. One professor expected that I had it, and was stunned to hear that I used a different application. It's hard to edit certain Photoshop files without Photoshop. People give me pictures to edit, and I end up producing something inferior, simply because Fireworks is all I have, and it definetely doesn't suffice for image editing. Furthermore, I've always been interested in producing mock-up images and becoming good at computer graphics, but again, that's just a hobby.

$299 is a lot of money, though, and I really feel that it's too much. If I end of getting it, I'll feel enormously guilty unless I use it every day, and because web design is just a hobby of mine, I could easily end up not using it that frequently. Of course, it would be extremely helpful to have in those instances where I've always felt impaired.

My main question is this: Can Photoshop accomplish more than Fireworks in terms of making very unique and aesthetically pleasing websites, or have I just not mastered the art of using Fireworks to accomplish this task?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 05:06 PM

Get Photoshop Elements.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2005, 09:34 PM

I have Fireworks, Photoshop elements and Photoshop CS. I think the suggestion above to get Photoshop Elements is a great one.

PS is all about editing photos; personally I think Fireworks is a better tool for creating web graphics. And if (as I assume) you are using it with Dreamweaver, it's an ideal suite. Frankily, I think web sites are less and less about flashy graphics and more about careful, semantic design... which means work on your CSS skills.

I do agree Fireworks is not a good photo editor. For that, I would get Elements. It amazes me how much this program does and in some ways does better than Photoshop itself.

The one thing I think Photoshop does better than any of these is prep graphics for high end printing such as a magazine. Doesn't sound like this is on your list of things to do at the moment. I'd go with Elements.
Timex Sinclair . IIe > SE > 6100 >
520c > Pismo > PB 15.2 > MacBook Pro 15.2 2.5 GHz

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by quietjim
I have Fireworks, Photoshop elements and Photoshop CS. I think the suggestion above to get Photoshop Elements is a great one.

PS is all about editing photos; personally I think Fireworks is a better tool for creating web graphics. And if (as I assume) you are using it with Dreamweaver, it's an ideal suite. Frankily, I think web sites are less and less about flashy graphics and more about careful, semantic design... which means work on your CSS skills.

I do agree Fireworks is not a good photo editor. For that, I would get Elements. It amazes me how much this program does and in some ways does better than Photoshop itself.

The one thing I think Photoshop does better than any of these is prep graphics for high end printing such as a magazine. Doesn't sound like this is on your list of things to do at the moment. I'd go with Elements.
People have constantly suggested Photoshop Elements, but I've turned the other way because I need vectors and such. What I keep forgetting is that Fireworks + Elements might be exactly what I need. Thanks for making that clear .

Nevertheless, I'd really like to hear other opinions about using Photoshop for web design, and whether it's worth the money. Sometimes people have drastically different views.

Edit: By the way, thanks for the CSS tip. I've been under a rock for a year or two, and during that time it seems that CSS has flourished. Time to switch from tables to CSS .
( Last edited by tavilach; Jun 22, 2005 at 04:58 AM. )
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2005, 04:50 AM

As I said in your other Photoshop thread ...

I still say unless you are a professional, Photoshop Elements has everything you need for $99. You seem to have an aversion for it or perhaps you think it'll be underwhelming, of which both assumptions would likely be incorrect.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2005, 06:25 AM

Or get a cheap version of 7.0 or 8.0, nothing much changed in 9.0

Never tried elements.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2005, 09:58 AM

You're talking about a professor? In which case get the edu version for a significantly reduced price.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
You're talking about a professor? In which case get the edu version for a significantly reduced price.
This was just some visiting scholar who couldn't do anything for me, and I'm not working with him anymore.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 03:29 PM

GIMP.app?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2005, 03:33 PM

^ Christ, no. No offence to the open source people but....

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2005, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by tavilach
I feel very limited when I use Macromedia Fireworks, which is what I've been using for web design for years. When I see amazing websites, I think to myself, "How on earth would I do that using Fireworks?"
You're making zero sense here. Fireworks was developed for web design. Photoshop was developed to touch up photos, and gradually had more added to it.

sandsl
Senior User
Jun 22, 2005, 06:55 PM

Photoshop is an essential piece of software. Like someone said earlier, see if you can find a cheap copy of version 7, if not get photoshop elements. Failing that, 'borrow' a copy, your only a youngster after all.
Luke

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by sandsl
Photoshop is an essential piece of software. Like someone said earlier, see if you can find a cheap copy of version 7, if not get photoshop elements. Failing that, 'borrow' a copy, your only a youngster after all.
Would you mind explaining why you see it as essential?

sandsl
Senior User
Jun 23, 2005, 06:57 AM

I can't really explain why its essential, but its the tool of choice amongst professionals - and that must be for a reason. I'd be lost without Photoshop, trying to hack together websites, edit images etc with inadequate tools. Saying that, I'm sure you could do almost everything you need with cheaper tools, but why make it harder for yourself than it already is.

Photoshop is a gem, a must for any creative professional. Creative professionals should be able to afford the price tag (after all they earn from it). I'd count you as student, and should really qualify for a student discount anyway even though your not in higher education.
Luke

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 08:20 AM

I use photoshop very often, it is horrible. I would stay by the application you already use and master CSS.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
GIMP.app?
Not even close to being a Photoshop replacement.

jasong
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 09:25 AM

I designed web sites for 5 years without using Photoshop (using Fireworks). For web graphics, Fireworks can't be beat. If you want to do photo editing and retouching, then Fireworks isn't your best tool. While I haven't used Photoshop elements, I have found that my copy of Photoshop 5 running in Classic handles my photo editing needs quite nicely. I'll probably make the move to elements sometime this year as Classic is getting (wait for it) . . . old.
-- Jason

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 09:36 AM

Fireworks is a dead app.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 03:50 PM

I'd count you as student, and should really qualify for a student discount anyway even though your not in higher education.
First of all, $299 is a lot of money. Second of all, I'm not in higher education?

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 05:27 PM

I can't really explain why its essential, but its the tool of choice amongst professionals - and that must be for a reason.
Because, quite simply, there are things you can do with Photoshop that you can't do with any other program. Some of these features - like doing channel math – don't show up unless you're doing high end work, but they are irreplacable.

I agree with the comments about getting an old version of Photoshop. The changes between 7.0 and CS are pretty minimal.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett
Because, quite simply, there are things you can do with Photoshop that you can't do with any other program. Some of these features - like doing channel math – don't show up unless you're doing high end work, but they are irreplacable.

I agree with the comments about getting an old version of Photoshop. The changes between 7.0 and CS are pretty minimal.
Would Elements + Fireworks suffice for creating web graphics? Would the combination be even better, perhaps?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2005, 11:28 PM

Maybe it would be easier to answer if Tavi told us what he wanted to do.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Maybe it would be easier to answer if Tavi told us what he wanted to do.
I want to be able to make much more professional looking web graphics, and I also want to start teaching myself digital design and effective image manipulation (both for touch-ups and creative avenues).

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2005, 04:07 AM

I want to be able to make much more professional looking web graphics.
Don't need PS for that.

I also want to start teaching myself digital design.
What do you mean by digital design?

effective image manipulation (both for touch-ups and creative avenues).
Again, PS Elements would more than meet your needs if you can't get an edu discount.

For all of these, you can also get a part-time job and the edu discount on Adobe CS if you're truly serious.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2005, 05:03 AM

First of all, $299 is a lot of money. Second of all, I'm not in higher education?
You don't need to be in "higher education" to get a student license I think. I'm sure that you don't need it with Office (I got Office 2000 Pro when I was 16, and my sister got Office 2004 when she was like 12). I'm pretty sure it's the same for Adobe.

And please compare CS to Elements. You'll see that Elements is probably enough for you.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
You don't need to be in "higher education" to get a student license I think. I'm sure that you don't need it with Office (I got Office 2000 Pro when I was 16, and my sister got Office 2004 when she was like 12). I'm pretty sure it's the same for Adobe.

And please compare CS to Elements. You'll see that Elements is probably enough for you.
Damnit, people! I am in friggin' higher education! What you quoted was a question for the person who randomly and bluntly stated that I wasn't in higher education. Enough of that ...

I'm trying to compare CS to Elements. That's one of the turns this thread has taken, as I'm trying to figure out if Fireworks + Elements is the best solution for me. I can't exactly clap my hands and compare different software titles, though. That's where you guys come in!

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2005, 12:52 AM

Would Elements + Fireworks suffice for creating web graphics? Would the combination be even better, perhaps?
Depends on what you mean by "web graphics". For creating GIFs and JPEGs, Elements should work. Actually, for that kind or work the GIMP will work, as you're dealing with lo-res RGB or Index files.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2005, 10:01 AM

I'm trying to compare CS to Elements. That's one of the turns this thread has taken, as I'm trying to figure out if Fireworks + Elements is the best solution for me. I can't exactly clap my hands and compare different software titles, though. That's where you guys come in!
Tell us what you plan to do with Photoshop, then perhaps we can tell you if Elements is sufficient.

I have both Photoshop CS (not CS2) and Elements 3.0 (got them for basically peanuts as I'm university faculty), and 9 times out of 10 I'll use Elements.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jun 25, 2005, 10:59 AM

Can Photoshop accomplish more than Fireworks? As a photo editor, yes.

Is it a powerful tool that can create better sites than FW? Possibly, but the skill lies much with the designer, not the app.

Personally, I would be very uncomfortable letting someone buy me a $300 app for my personal hobby.

Do you even know how to use PS? Even if you have it, it isn't gonna magically produce those sites.

I rarely use PS for web design. FW can be slow, but it smokes as far as web design.

+ Elements is a good start.

Get the demo at adobe.com and try it out. Then if you like it you can buy PS down the road.

T

Forum Links
Forum Rules