Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot Camp Help

Boot Camp Help
markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2006, 12:58 AM

i have tried twice to get winblows to run on my macbook

it freezes a lot, and i have to hold power button and restart

i re installed and now i can't get the drivers CD to finish installing without getting a fatal error.

i also can't connect to the internet via wireless or plugging straight in, i dont know if this because the drivers wont completely install or what.

anyone have these problems or know how to fix

when i partioned i left it at the default level which was 5 GB for windows, if that changes anything

Moose
Senior User
Aug 17, 2006, 08:11 AM

Are you absolutely certain you have Service Pack 2 installed?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 17, 2006, 10:30 AM

I think Boot Camp won't let you proceed without SP2. It sounds like the install disc wasn't clean, or otherwise didn't get all the data transferred poperely. In any case, I'd WIPE the Windows partition (use Disk Utility to delete it) and then start over with Boot Camp.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Moose
Senior User
Aug 17, 2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I think Boot Camp won't let you proceed without SP2.
Uh.

Yes. It will. Read this thread again. You even posted in it.

It just won't let you install the drivers CD (or SP2), which is what his problem appears to be.

The answer to every question isn't just "repartition and reinstall" by itself when there are other reasons for broken behavior.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 17, 2006, 10:44 AM

With Windows, the solution often IS to repartition (to completely eliminate the corrupt installation) and reinstall. Sadly this is a fact of life for a lot of Windows users. I was suggesting this to the frequent freezes and lockups the OP mentioned.

But you're right about the SP2 issue-Boot Camp WILL apparently let you install Windows without having SP2, but the drivers are for SP2 and won't work without having Windows at that patch level. Still, I think there's a deeper problem with the original installation.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 17, 2006, 10:49 AM

With Windows, the solution often IS to repartition (to completely eliminate the corrupt installation) and reinstall. Sadly this is a fact of life for a lot of Windows users. I was suggesting this to the frequent freezes and lockups the OP mentioned.
Yes, but you're not even attempting to determine what the problem actually is before recommending a reinstallation. If his installation media doesn't install SP2, he can reinstall 85 times and still have the same result.
Still, I think there's a deeper problem with the original installation.
So why don't you expend a little bit of effort trying to find out what it is? He's obviously already reinstalled once to no avail.

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2006, 11:11 AM

i guess that is what is, the windows install disc i have insn't s SP2, is there something i can do?

Moose
Senior User
Aug 17, 2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by markb8705
i guess that is what is, the windows install disc i have insn't s SP2, is there something i can do?
Yes. Read this thread for information on slipstreaming SP2 into an XP install disc.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 17, 2006, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by markb8705
Look at the sticky thread about slipstreaming. It's a process (a simple one in most cases) that puts together all the updated files from SP2 with the unaltered files from even the original version of XP, and creates a single install disc that does it all for you. The SP2 update itself is free to download, and you can even order a CD from Microsoft for free if you like.

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2006, 01:42 PM

great thanks, ill let you guys know if it works

Forum Links
Forum Rules