Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iChat help please

iChat help please
markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2006, 04:23 PM

for some reason i can't send files through iChat anymore. Im not sure what it is but it may be because i just got a new router. It's the linksys WRT54G. Does anyone know if there is a security setting that i need to change?

thanks for any help

this may need to be moved to another section im not sure

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 8, 2006, 05:48 PM

Well, first make sure uPnP is enabled on the router, since iChat relies on it to build up the connections.

But sometimes, it just fails. For example, I've never been able to send files to friends of mine that live on-campus at some schools. I guess something in that network configuration, or their firewall, prevents it.

What version is your router firmware? DO NOT update to the latest firmware, as it appears to introduce problems with Macs (Linksys is working on it, so a fixed updated version should appear soon).

tooki

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2006, 05:53 PM

the router is only like 2 weeks old, i haven't downloaded anything from lynksys... and uPnP is enabled.

And i can't sent files to the same people before, so it can't be a firewall on their connection.

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2006, 06:49 PM

Disable and re-enable UPnP. I sometimes have to do this on my Netgear router to get it to work, especially if the router has been turned off at any point.

Forum Links
Forum Rules