Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ok, so i think i screwed up, HELP!!

ok, so i think i screwed up, HELP!!
markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 12:48 PM

I had to downgrade to Tiger from Leopard because i am a music producer and some hardware i use isn't compatitble with Leopard yet because the company hasn't released drivers

so

i archive and install, but somewhere i screwed up. I still have alllll of my data but it reset my dock and all my prefs and stuff. Basically i think it just created a new "Home" folder.

All of my previous data is in the Preveious System folder. Now, is there anyway to load all of those settings back up without doing it manually?

Thanks for any info you guys can give me

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2007, 12:52 PM

Did you click Preserve Users and Network Settings when you did the Archive and Install? Can you find your old home folder in /Users/?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 12:57 PM

Yes, its under Library/Previous System

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 07:05 PM

so is there anyway that i can restore my preferences or something, i still have everything i think

this kinda sucks because all my mailboxes in mail are gone, all of my itunes preferences are gone... ect. ect. ect

any suggestions?

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 08:43 PM

One way is to drag and drop your desired preferences, music, and pictures back to the ones in your new home folder. Almost everything can be transfered so don't worry.

i.e for mail:
1. Copy old preference.
2. Paste copied preference to new user-home-library-preferences.
3. Copy old Mail and Mail Downloads folder from old user library.
4. Paste Mail and Mail Downloads folder into the new user-home-library.

Thats what I did when I transfered my Mail and other folders from a clone I had of Tiger to my Leopard install, in Leopard when you first start mail after moving said files and folders, mail might ask if you want to rebuild the database I clicked yes and all my smart folders, accounts and mail where all there. Also it might be a good idea to repair permissions afterward.

By the way I also did the same when I decided to keep one of my machines(the G5) in Tiger and all's well.

Cheers
( Last edited by silver; Nov 15, 2007 at 08:57 PM. )
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2007, 05:00 AM

If all your data is still there, that's weird, unless you're actually keeping all your data *outside* your home folder (which isn't recommended, but not a problem).

If you don't actually keep any data in your home folder, then this is what's to do:

Step 1: quit *all* open applications except the Finder.

Step 2: rename your new (blank) home folder to anything else, such as "myusername.bad" or so.

Step 3: copy your old home folder from the /Previous Systems/Users/ directory into the /Users directory.

Step 4: Log out IMMEDIATELY and log back in. Everything should be as it was.

Forum Links
Forum Rules