Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Help me chose between an iPhone and an iPod touch

Help me chose between an iPhone and an iPod touch
Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 12:53 PM

So since Apple has now reached 32 GB on the iPod touch I'm considering buying one.

I need at least 30 GB so it's either the touch now or wait till the iPhone gets 32 GB. Also, I can't buy the iPhone in Sweden (where I work) yet, so I'd either have to wait for the Swedish launch or hack a regular iPhone. I don't at all feel like doing the latter - I want to be able to install updates right away. And while I would want a data flat rate with my iPhone I don't need minutes or SMS so most plans aren't very well suited for my use anyway.

The iPod touch is only barely bigger than my 5G 30GB iPod (IIRC it's 5mm taller), but it's 1mm thinner and it's lighter so that's good. What I'm very curious about is the glass. The iPhone has this great scratch resistant glass. What about the touch? Does it use the same or is it the softer plastic used on the old iPods? I carry my 5G around a lot in my pocket together with a cell phone, or coins and keys. The screen doesn't have bad scratches, but it definitely has some light ones. How would the touch hold up here?

So, I guess $499 for a 32 GB touch sounds like a good deal. I get it now rather than waiting till the iPhone gets updated to 32GB and released where I am. In addition I don't get tied to a certain carrier and since I don't use my cell a lot anyway, I guess the fairly expensive iPhone plan wouldn't be a good deal anyway and thios would make the touch the less expensive alternative. Finally, since EDGE is pretty lame and 3G is still out I guess going with the touch and WLAN would be a suitable 'stop-gap' measure until the iPhone gets 3G.

Thoughts? Opinions? Does anybody think I shouldn't get a 32GB iPod touch?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 01:04 PM

Well you've sorta explained all of the reasons why you can't get an iPhone (or would have to wait until who knows when until it's updated AGAIN and released in Sweden... possibly quite a long time).

If you don't use a cell that much, I don't see a purpose in waiting for an eventuality that is plenty far off. I think you'll love the touch if you get it (I have an 8gb phone, love that, but wouldn't want to have to hack it or anything like you said).

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2008, 03:47 PM

Now that the iPod has the iPhone apps, the only real extra on the iPhone is the phone and Edge connection, the touch is dependent on wifi. I have been waiting for 32Gb on the touch too, one way to get yourself a phone on your iPod would be to use a Gear4 Blueye bluetooth remote with your iPod touch. You won't get feedback from the remote on the screen, but you will be able to control the iPod and answer calls on your phone over bluetooth, using the remote. I've already got one with my iPod nano, and it works fine .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2008, 05:08 PM

Right, with the feature parity brought by the January update the touch truly is an iPhone minus the phone and phone network. The only major downside to the touch is having to rely on WI-FI, but if you can deal with that you'll be very happy with it. I absolutely love mine.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Right, with the feature parity brought by the January update the touch truly is an iPhone minus the phone and phone network.
Don't forget the camera. Not a huge deal, but needs to be included in the list of differences nonetheless.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2008, 05:40 PM

Its a camera, but its not a decent one. No flash or light, no video, 2MP resolution. On a modern high end phone, the camera spec is a joke.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2008, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Thoughts? Opinions?
The only thing is delaying me to buy and iPod touch is it's lack of Nike+ support and yes I would run with it, as bigger, heavier, valuable and/or bulkier it could appear to the masses compared to an iPod nano.

The iPhone has become for me a difficult piece of hardware, the fact to be waiting more than one year in the absolute lurch to later sign a contract to pay during 2 years is something that limits my freedom

IMPO the iPod touch is a very simple, easy, versatile and more think Apple device

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 07:24 PM

I understand the camera is also part of the iPhone that's missing on the touch. Personally I couldn't care less about cameras on cell phones. If I want to take pictures I use my 7MP Canon PowerShot and get great photos. I'd never consider using the camera on my iPhone (or any other cell phone for that matter). So that's not something holding me back from getting an iPod touch.

Other opinions or comments?

What about the screen? Does the iPod touch use the same scratch resistant glass as the iPhone?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2008, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Now that the iPod has the iPhone apps, the only real extra on the iPhone is the phone and Edge connection...
... and volume up/down buttons on the side.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 09:33 PM

Other opinions or comments?

What about the screen? Does the iPod touch use the same scratch resistant glass as the iPhone?
Yep, it's exactly the same screen, although I've heard that it has lower contrast then the iPhone screen, but I can't tell. I think that you would be happy with an iPod touch, especially with the new apps. The screen is really nice, I had my iPod in my pocket with my keys for a day and they didn't even put a tiny scratch on the screen.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Its a camera, but its not a decent one. No flash or light, no video, 2MP resolution. On a modern high end phone, the camera spec is a joke.
Yeah, that's why I said not a huge deal, I was just saying it wasn't a full list of the differences between the phone/ipod. I also forgot about the buttons on the side, which Stogieman pointed out. Other than that, the headphone jack is on the bottom with the iPod Touch, and on the top with the iPhone... and I'm not sure but I don't know if the iPod Touch has the button on the top right (actually it probably does for turning off and such).

I think that is a full list of the differences between the two.
To the OP: get the touch. It sounds like that is what you want/need rather than the iPhone. In a few years, when the iPhone is available in Sweden and at a much higher capacity, you can upgrade from your touch (you'd still have a good 2-3 years at least of good bonding time with the touch!).

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2008, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
To the OP: get the touch. It sounds like that is what you want/need rather than the iPhone. In a few years, when the iPhone is available in Sweden and at a much higher capacity, you can upgrade from your touch (you'd still have a good 2-3 years at least of good bonding time with the touch!).
Thanks for sharing your opinion. That sounds quite like what I was thinking.

I do want an iPhone because, why haul around a touch and a cell when the iPhone would do it all? But I can't get an unhacked iPhone yet and 16GB as well as EDGE are just too limiting IMHO. Of course there are situations where EDGE is better than nothing (I spent last weekend in Berlin and I've never seen so few hot spots in a city of that size!), but I don't think the high cost of the iPhone plus plan and its shortcomings are worth that.

Anyway, I guess your plan is pretty solid. I can get the 32GB touch now, use it along with my old cell and my pay as you go plan. In 1-2 years from now the iPhone will have the necessary capacity, it will come with 3G and I'll be able to buy it where I work. At that point I can consider upgrading to an iPhone.

Anybody else? Am I missing something?

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2008, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Yep, it's exactly the same screen, although I've heard that it has lower contrast then the iPhone screen, but I can't tell. I think that you would be happy with an iPod touch, especially with the new apps. The screen is really nice, I had my iPod in my pocket with my keys for a day and they didn't even put a tiny scratch on the screen.
So regarding the screen that's great news! It's nice I'll be able to have coins and a cell in the same pocket as my touch and won't scratch the display.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2008, 02:06 PM

That's a damn big pocket! Phone and iPod in the same pocket! What's in the other ones?

Anyways, I think you'll be very happy with your decision. Let us know what you end up doing!

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
That's a damn big pocket! Phone and iPod in the same pocket! What's in the other ones?
Well, my pockets aren't that big. My iPod's a 5G so it's really thin and my cell is pretty compact too.

It's mostly a problem on the plane. I fly a lot and some European airlines are really a pain when it comes to where you put your carry on luggage. So most of the time I have my MBP on my lap and all the other stuff I want to use during the flight (cell (for its PDA functionality), iPod, ...) is crammed into my pockets. I try not to, but half the time I put the iPod in the pocket with the coins and keys so that's why I was wondering about the screen.

pawpkorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2008, 08:15 PM

to the thread starter, i say get an itouch. like others have said, you have pretty much given good and valid reasons to not get an iphone. i think that you will be happier with the itouch. i know that i am interested in the itouch. we will see if i get a 32 gb one or not.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2008, 04:36 AM

Thanks for your opinion. I'm surprised to see nobody wants to convince me to get an iPhone. I guess I just posted too many reasons against it already myself.

OK, so I guess when I find some time to order I'll be hooking myself up with a 32 GB iPod touch. But geez, at $500 it sure is the most expensive iPod I've ever bought. OTOH no other iPod I've ever bought was also a nano-Mac I can take with me everywhere and all the time.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2008, 07:40 PM

So regarding the screen that's great news! It's nice I'll be able to have coins and a cell in the same pocket as my touch and won't scratch the display.
I still, however, wouldn't keep the iPod in the same pocket as coin and keys. The screen isn't scratch-proof, but it's very scratch resistant. I like my expensive iPod to be as safe as possible

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2008, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I still, however, wouldn't keep the iPod in the same pocket as coin and keys. The screen isn't scratch-proof, but it's very scratch resistant. I like my expensive iPod to be as safe as possible
I fully agree with you. But sometimes mistakes just happen. It's nice to know dropping your iPod touch in the wrong pocket won't ruin it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules