Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Holy motherforker: the horrid state of Windows laptops and Windows 11

Holy motherforker: the horrid state of Windows laptops and Windows 11 (Page 2)
OreoCookie  (op)
Oct 11, 2023, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
You are talking about the company that has TWO Teams apps with the same name and icon here.
I learnt today that I have Teams Classic installed on my machine. Nope, that’s not a joke, if you go to the Task Manager, startup items, that’s what it is called.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 24, 2023, 08:22 AM

Since this has become my de facto thread to complain about Windows, how about Edge? I run a Win10 VM on my 2015 MBA for car tuning stuff that requires Windows. I try to keep the VM as light as possible since it's splitting resources with OS X on 8 year old hardware. I got a new ECU for my car with Windows-only tuning software, so I installed that and ended up nearly topping off the 25GB virtual drive I allocated to Windows. So I went in and gave it 3 more gigs. Well, Windows decided it was time to update and continues to try and download and install its major update, except all it ever does is fill up the rest of the drive and fail to update. So I'm back to only 100MB free on the drive, but with Windows continuously dragging network and CPU resources down trying to do the update. I guess I should probably give it enough room to complete the update and then wipe the update files to get some free space back.

And on the theme of keeping things light, I don't even have Chrome installed, as the only web browsing I do is accessing Google Drive to get my shared tunes and files into Windows, so I use Edge.

I discovered last night (and correct me if I'm wrong), but there is no easy way around Edge's horrible "New Tab" page. It's all of the god-awful fake news stories and media narratives and clickbait garbage and there's absolutely no way within Edge to open a new tab to a blank page. If you log in to your Microsoft account within Edge you can customize your Bing Home page to where it is blank except for a Microsoft logo. Otherwise it's a fucking registry edit just to not get bombarded with all of the sponsored content and fake news narratives that Microsoft wants you to believe.

With some additional searching, it may be possible with a browser extension. Ridiculous.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 24, 2023, 08:27 PM

Edge feels like the very reason the EU demanded Microsoft un-linked Internet Explorer from Windows. It’s ad-laced, Bing-centric, and clunky. Yuck. The ONLY reason I have it at all is for testing web pages on different browsers. I wash my hands after I use it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacNNFamous
Senior User
Oct 24, 2023, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
We just had this happen last month. Designer created 2x retina images for ads, and somewhere along the lines in the jira ticket>marketing manager>ad system it was being downsampled and was blurry.

Many meetings later, explaining what RETINA is and RESOLUTION and PIXELS, it turns out the marketing manager was renaming by opening in some windows image viewer and saving them.

Was designing a product for a fairly big healthcare company. My main contact was a sales/exec type. The logo they sent me to put on the product, in the tooling, was a bitmap. I was like hey I need a vector or something, can you send me an illustrator file, please?

"Sure no prob" get the email back with the .ai file. Open it in illustrator. Motherfucker just pasted the bitmap into an illustrator file.

Also I want to go into marketing since apparently they're all morons.

Thorzdad
Oct 25, 2023, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post
Was designing a product for a fairly big healthcare company. My main contact was a sales/exec type. The logo they sent me to put on the product, in the tooling, was a bitmap. I was like hey I need a vector or something, can you send me an illustrator file, please?

"Sure no prob" get the email back with the .ai file. Open it in illustrator. Motherfucker just pasted the bitmap into an illustrator file.

Welcome to my world!

I do ads for a local free magazine. Print! It's always chock-full of ads for various local businesses. Unfailingly, none of them ever have vector art for their logos, even when it's bloody obvious that they paid someone to create the logo and it sure as hell looks like it was vector at the time of creation. But, they always send me the jpeg off their website. And, me being the old-school print-oriented guy that I am, I spend umpteen hours re-creating the logos in Illustrator so the damned things don't look like ass in print.

And, goddamn do these people choose the most obscure fonts for their logos. I think by now half of the active logos in Font Book are various freebies off sketchy free-font sites.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2023, 04:50 PM

This gave me a sudden Adobe Streamline flashback.

Thorzdad
Oct 25, 2023, 09:40 PM

Man, I totally forgot about Streamline. Illustrator has the live tracing function, too, but I never felt the results were all that useful. I always had to go in and adjust the paths anyway, so I might as well just hand trace it in the first place.

andi*pandi
Oct 25, 2023, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNFamous View Post

sometimes they mix it up and paste into a word file. Or a powerpoint!

OreoCookie  (op)
Oct 26, 2023, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Since this has become my de facto thread to complain about Windows, how about Edge?
My company uses Chrome by default. Not sure if I have Edge installed.
I run a Win10 VM on my 2015 MBA for car tuning stuff that requires Windows. I try to keep the VM as light as possible since it's splitting resources with OS X on 8 year old hardware.
Not only do I have to use Chrome, which at least on the Mac is decidedly more resource intensive than Safari, I have all sorts of security doo dads installed that often keep one of the eight cores busy. The only reasons I don't care is that I have 32 GB of RAM, I use the machine plugged in and Python is mostly using only a single core.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 26, 2023, 08:30 AM

I'm married to the 11" MBA form factor - a 13" would be too big for what I want, so I got the highest spec'd 11" available, which they discontinued after 2015. At this point I should probably just get a Surface Pro and relegate myself to using Windows when I'm mobile since only one of my tuning apps has an OS X version (Java, actually).

OreoCookie  (op)
Oct 26, 2023, 11:51 AM

I'm married to the 11" MBA form factor - a 13" would be too big for what I want, so I got the highest spec'd 11" available, which they discontinued after 2015. At this point I should probably just get a Surface Pro and relegate myself to using Windows when I'm mobile since only one of my tuning apps has an OS X version (Java, actually).
The Surface hardware is nice, a huge step up over the janky laptop I have now. Some of the Surfaces are a bit quirky and have personality. Still, thing is, it still comes with Windows … but I get it if you need it for specific apps.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2023, 04:17 PM

The Surfaces are nice until you need to repair them.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2023, 09:46 AM

I could also just do the Boot Camp thing with the MBA, though I'd need to clean up the OS X side of the hard drive to make enough room for a dedicated Windows partition.

Forum Links
Forum Rules