Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > networking two Macs: insisting on using ftp instead of afp?

networking two Macs: insisting on using ftp instead of afp?
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2006, 03:51 PM

Hi All,

I've got the ftp access running on both my G5 and 12" PowerBook (in order to send files from my wi-fi equipped camera to the Macs).

For some reason, when I try to network the two machines together (ethernet, via a 100baseT switch), they insist on connecting via ftp, instead of afp. Can anyone tell me how I can force an afp connection (I'm hoping "turn off ftp" isn't a necessary answer, I'd hope that afp would take priority). I wouldn't have a problem if accessing and using files via ftp were the same as afp, but I'm having permission problems (yes, I log in to the remote machine using the admin name and pass).

Both machines are running 10.4.7

Thanks in advance for any help,

Chas

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 11, 2006, 05:40 PM

Ask in the Networking forum, ok? That's what it's there for.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Camelot
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2006, 01:29 AM

It all depends on how you're connecting. If you're using the Finder's 'Connect to Server...' you can force an AFP connection by entering a AFP url: afp://ip.address/sharename/
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2006, 03:08 AM

I'll repost in the networking forum (Camelot, yes I can force afp in that dialog, but that's multi-step, I'd rather just use an alias in the Dock)

Chas

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2006, 03:11 AM

Ah, it's already in the Networking forum. Never mind :-)

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2006, 05:21 AM

Just been fiddling with this a bit more, and I guess what really bugs me is that I'd expect OSX to prefer afp over ftp, when given a choice. Right now, it seems to be the opposite.

Anyone know how I can get OSX to prefer afp over ftp, when connecting using the "Network" icon? (I'd rather not use the multiple steps of "Connect to Server").

Chas

OreoCookie
Sep 19, 2006, 05:50 AM

If you mount ftp servers as shares via the Finder, you cannot write to them. Hence I don't think ftp can replace afp for what you want to do. Use either nfs, afp or samba (Windows sharing) instead … or is there any reason why you want to stick to ftp?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2006, 07:16 AM

Hi OreoCookie,

I'm afraid that you've misunderstood me (sorry I wasn't more clear). I most definitely do not want the two Macs to talk via ftp (but rather by afp).

The problem is that I've got the OSX ftp server running on both of these Macs (so I can transmit to them from my wifi-capable camera), and now they're insisting on connecting to each other via ftp instead of afp (the only way I can get them to communicate via afp is to use the Finder's "Connect to Server" command).

I can solve the problem by turning off the ftp servers on both machines, but I'd much rather learn why two Macs would rather mount each others' drives via ftp.

Chas

OreoCookie
Sep 20, 2006, 06:59 PM

Ah, ok, I misunderstood.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2006, 06:20 PM

Why not have each Mac connect to each other manually via afp and then put the root or home folder of each onto the other Mac's Finder sidebar. Then connecting is as simply as a single click and it does the rest in the background (via afp)

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2006, 06:25 PM

Yeah, that's exactly how I normally get my machines to talk to each other, but when ftp is running on both machines, they insist on using ftp to connect.

Thanks anyway :-)

Chas

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 02:24 AM

Then run a 3rd part FTP server like Rumpus instead of the one built into the mac os.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2006, 07:14 AM

All the solutions here are very much appreciated, I guess what I'd really like to know is why two Macs, both running afp and ftp, prefer to connect via the older and non-native ftp protocol over afp.

Chas

Forum Links
Forum Rules