Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Vintage Calculators

Vintage Calculators
downinflames68
Baninated
Aug 17, 2010, 10:16 AM

Thought you guys might dig this link:

Calculator company list

My grandma had a Datacal II by Corvus, which looked like this:

I remember using it on math homework in elementary school. So awesome, such a memory time warp!

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2010, 11:00 AM

What did the M button on the old calcs do?
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 17, 2010, 11:04 AM

Strobe the headlights.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
What did the M button on the old calcs do?
The M button functioned much like the "M+" button in OS X's standard calculator app. Most calculators with an M button also had MR and MC (read and clear). M for memory.

But that Datacal that Rob posted actually has an "N" button, not an "M" button. I'd love to know what that one was for.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2010, 11:21 AM

Nachos

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2010, 10:19 PM

It was 1974 and my parents spent $140 for the latest Bowmar Brain. I was off to college and I would need it. It even did trig functions. The end of the sliderule for me. My freshman math professor hated the calculators. He had no idea how to use them. He still had one of those big six foot long sliderules hanging in the front of the classroom that he used. We were the first class year allowed to use them in the classroom.

$140 was a lot of money back in 1974. I don't think I spent that much for my books for the first year.
macforray

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by macforray View Post
It was 1974 and my parents spent $140 for the latest Bowmar Brain. I was off to college and I would need it. It even did trig functions. The end of the sliderule for me. My freshman math professor hated the calculators. He had no idea how to use them. He still had one of those big six foot long sliderules hanging in the front of the classroom that he used. We were the first class year allowed to use them in the classroom.
Speaking of slide rules, when I was in college we were shown a film in physics lab that was made in 1952. It was still relevant to the lab we were doing, of course, but the funniest part was where the guy in the video set up the calculation that was going to be done, and then said, "Let's get out our slide rules and figure out the answer." The video actually took five minutes to show him messing around furiously with the slide rule (it was a very complex calculation) and then he looked up at the end with a smile on his face. "The answer is 2." The whole class laughed at that one.

Of course, we had just punched the equation into our graphing calculators and knew the answer was 2 about 4 minutes and 50 seconds before the guy in the video did.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
The M button functioned much like the "M+" button in OS X's standard calculator app. Most calculators with an M button also had MR and MC (read and clear). M for memory.

But that Datacal that ... posted actually has an "N" button, not an "M" button. I'd love to know what that one was for.
Nagger

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 18, 2010, 08:03 PM

The very first calculator in my whole school district was purchased by our high school math department head; an HP 55, costing him almost $400. It was programmable, and could do so many different things...

I still have and use my HP-15C. Hard to beat RPN.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SVass
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2010, 12:34 PM

I have the following within reach:
Casio FX-115D Super FX Scientific calculator
Casio CM-100 computer math (does binary, octal, hex, and decimal, AND, NOR, etc)
MacWarehouse Diskette calculator (solar that looks like a 3.5 diskette and has an M button as well)
and a Pickett Model 4-T Dual Base Log-Log slide rule (Recently, I taught my granddaughter who was studying logarithms in high school how to look them up on this slide rule and how multiplication actually works because she needed some help.)

Over the years, I misplaced/lost my 6 inch Pickett and a Casio combination scientific calculator/digital wrist watch. I used the latter at work in a computer lab because it was always at "hand".

PS-Nowadays, I use Excel or Appleworks because they remember, display, and print.
sam

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Originally Posted by Person Man View Post

But that Datacal that Rob posted actually has an "N" button, not an "M" button. I'd love to know what that one was for.
Nagger
Fixed.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2010, 03:32 PM

583 vintage calculators.

Calculator company list

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2010, 05:36 PM

What I would really love is a Curta.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post

They appear to be going for about $1000-$2000 on eBay, depending on the condition. My best friend's father has one that he bought in 1960 that he uses all the time. I played with it a couple times. Interesting device.

downinflames68  (op)
Baninated
Aug 19, 2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
583 vintage calculators.

Calculator company list
I posted that in the first post.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2010, 02:21 AM

Thanks for pointing that up. I need more sleep hours.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 20, 2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post

Is this compatible with Nikon cameras?

finboy
Aug 20, 2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The very first calculator in my whole school district was purchased by our high school math department head; an HP 55, costing him almost $400. It was programmable, and could do so many different things...

I still have and use my HP-15C. Hard to beat RPN.
I went through TWO of my 17B back in the old days, most folks were using the 12C. HP just produced a mid-tier financial calculator based on the revised 30 series, and I can't wait to work on one. I've got a 13 around here someplace that still works, too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules