Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wait for the IBM 970???

Wait for the IBM 970???
HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2003, 02:02 PM

Hey Dudes!!!

I'm definitely grabbing a 17".....but rumors seems to indicate that the 970 will be coming to laptops by this summer

I could really use the 17" A LOT this summer (for the work I'm doing).....and I would hate to wait another 3 to 5 months for the update....but...

how much of a difference is the 970 going to be??

I've got a Ti to hold me over....but I'm really ready to splurge on the current 17"
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2003, 02:09 PM

In a word: No.

Don't wait for the 970 in a PB as it is going to be longer than a 3-5 month wait. So much is as of yet unknown about this chip, let alone its suitability in a laptop. When it does arrive, the 970 will appear in PowerMacs first and then make its way into PowerBooks.

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2003, 02:20 PM

If they release the desktops in October and IF they release dual versions in that first iteration then at best we would have the IBM chip in a notebook spring of 2004. Anything earlier wouls canibalise the desktop sales, people who can afford it would get the desktop in the fall and the notebook in the spring... perfect timing

No chance the IBM chip will be in a notebook first, they couldn't even pump the production enough to follow the demand. Look what happened with the 17'' since January.
So just get the 17'' now

Forum Links
Forum Rules