Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Virtual PC worked for me!

Virtual PC worked for me!
HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2003, 08:35 AM

Hey dudes

I'm posting this on so many apple boards ---- for those of you who haven't seen it yet ---

I'm running Virtual PC 2000 Professional on my 17 and its working GREAT!!! (VPC 6.1)

I'm using it to run ArcView 3.3 and everything is going very well

I have 512 MB dedicated to VPC, along with a maxed out VRAM ---- my 17 has 1 gig of RAM

I have used XP, and DO NOT BUY IT ---- 2000 is MUCH better ---- a little faster, and much more stable!

so if you need to run a WinDoZe app, and a 600-700 mhz speed is good enough for you, then run with VPC 6.1 2K Professional --- but make sure that you max out the RAM on your 17"
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2003, 10:11 AM

Win XP will run fine if you turn off many of the services and the themes.

I have no problems with XP stability either. However with VPC when I tried it it was easier to just install Win 2000, since the stock config is much faster than the stock config of Win XP.

I don't think it runs at anywhere near PIII 600 speeds though. On my TiBook 1 GHz (768 MB RAM, 384 allocated to Win 200), it runs at more like PII 350 speeds if you're lucky.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2003, 12:19 PM

Win 2000 is confirmed to run the best on VPC no matter what system you use. According to mac addict articles and mac world articles.

Im pissed off that their will be no SoftWindows. I don't know whether or not to buy VPC or not. Maybe someone else will come around and create something better. That would make my day.

All I know is I dont need it yet and hopefullly will never need it.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

Forum Links
Forum Rules