Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help with "keychain.System"... What does it all mean? :-)

Help with "keychain.System"... What does it all mean? :-)
jmelrose
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2005, 06:57 PM

Hi.
Last weekend I upgraded my hard drive and rebuilt my new drive setup, then transferred over all my files and so forth from the old hard drive. However, I have one last hiccup, which is that the wireless access point password @ work has a WEP password, which I typed in long ago and saved on a keychain. So far so good. However, now the problem is I can't get the password to "sync" with the new network setting box. It keeps asking for the password for "keychain.system" which I don't understand. This is MY Mac, so all the passwords on it are largely the same, but the login one didn't change, and I don't understand what it's looking for. If I can give it this "system" password, I can then view the password on the keychain in Keychain Access and then re-enter it into the network setup.

Anyone have any ideas? Any terminal tricks or anything which would allow me to regain access to this last mystery password? My backup plan is having the IT department come by and re-enter it, but they're backlogged about "7-10 business days" apparently, so I'm hoping I can restore it quicker than that.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I can be directly contacted at: [email protected] as well. Thanks.

Best wishes,
J.Melrose
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2005, 02:13 PM

If you changed your login password, chances are good that it did not change the keychain password, which would be your old login password. When prompted for the keychain password try the old login and see if that does the trick.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jmelrose  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2005, 03:20 PM

Never changed the login password. This is a seperate keychain from the system-wide password which is called the "login" password. This is one specifically called the 'system.keychain" which seems to be created BY the system.
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

Curlywee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2005, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by jmelrose
It keeps asking for the password for "keychain.system" which I don't understand.
This is a spinoff from the latest Security Update (2005-008). The recommended course of action is simply to hit the Cancel button rather than entering a password, but even when I did this I'm experiencing a dreadful slowdown in network connections since installing this and now wish I hadn't bothered.

derekm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2005, 04:44 AM

I'm getting a request for admin name and password every time I switch on one of our school emacs with latest Tiger 10.4.2. Since these are school pupils using the machine its very inconvenient. The request is 'to make changes to MacOSX' but in reality is only to permit connection to the wireless network. Cancelling doesn't work, the window reappears and won't go.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2005, 02:29 PM

Yeah Apple did something with that update. I wonder when they will fix it.

Apple!
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

beloved-deer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2005, 02:48 PM

I've got the same "system.keychain" problems but not experience any slow-down (yet).

Forum Links
Forum Rules