Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Odd problem with passwords at work

Odd problem with passwords at work
Viggen0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2009, 01:40 PM

OK here's an odd question, and it's not something I can really go to IT at work for because I'm on a Mac, and they don't REALLY support Macs here.

I work for a very large corporation which as you can imagine has a disgustingly extensive IT system. One of our security measures involves all of our network traffic going through the corporate proxy, which means in order to access the network AT ALL we have to enter a user ID and password. If one enters their password incorrectly too many times, it locks your account and you have to do a password unlock.

Anyways, starting late yesterday and consistently through today so far, the system has kept locking my account out and I've had to reset it 4 or 5 times now. What I need to figure out, is why. I want to figure out if any background processes on my machine or open programs are trying to access the proxy with my userid and an incorrect password this causing the system to lock me out. Does anyone know how I can find out what programs have tried to access a certain IP address over the course of the day? This is driving me nuts!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2009, 01:59 PM

Why not setup a firewall rule for the IP using the OS X application firewall, or Little Snitch?

Viggen0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2009, 02:03 PM

That seems like a bandaid to my problem... Not to mention, I really want to avoid installing anything event remotely suspicious on my machine. There's also the problem that our passwords change every 30 days, and I'd rather not have to change the rule every month.

ibook_steve
Oct 16, 2009, 04:28 PM

I had this exact problem on my work network. The culprit was Safari running in a Parallels VM. Strangely enough, Mac Safari didn't cause the problem. iTunes is also a possible culprit.

My recommendation: Get Behind the Shield! Hotspot Shield by AnchorFree. That's what I use. To get rid of the ads at the top, use Firefox with the Greasemonkey plug-in using the HotSpot Shield Ad remove script.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2009, 01:29 PM

What happens if you don't trust the VPN being offered by this Hotspot Shield product?

Viggen: I wasn't suggesting firewall rules as a solution to your problem, but just as a diagnosis measure so that you can figure out where this traffic is coming from and take action.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I had this exact problem on my work network. The culprit was Safari running in a Parallels VM. Strangely enough, Mac Safari didn't cause the problem. iTunes is also a possible culprit.
I thought Safari on PC and iTunes would respect any proxy authentication that is done via Windows / Internet Explorer. What kind of credentials is Safari and iTunes sending out ?

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules