Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Tech Question: Possible to make an invisible HD partition?

Tech Question: Possible to make an invisible HD partition?
jmelrose
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2002, 10:09 AM

Hello.

I am giving my spouse my old powerbook. It has a 48GB hard drive, and I wanted to make a partition for her use, then a partition I could use to backup my files onto and then make invisible and out of her way unless I wanted to have access to it again. There's nothing terribly secret on there, but I'd like to put things out of her way (and out of her path so nothing is accidentally deleted!).

Is there a way to make a partition, fill it, then lock it and make it invisible in the finder?

Thank you,
Jeff Melrose

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2002, 11:42 AM

Without trying to figure out anything further, you could have the partition start with a period (.) and that'll be invisible in X. But, the only to see it would be through OS 9. That's where you'd have to do your parritioning of it. Unless you just do a Go - To Folder from the X Finder, which will let it appear, gray but visible. Then, you could add files to it. I don't have a spare drive to try it so I can't confirm this. Just a thought.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2002, 11:52 AM

or you could just use the terminal to do it all

gg1234
Nov 18, 2002, 12:06 PM

If you're using OS X is a separate partition even necessary? with separate logins she couldn't see your stuff nor could you see hers (unless you loged in as root ).

Forum Links
Forum Rules