Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > AAC "Low Complexity" question

AAC "Low Complexity" question
jmelrose
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 02:42 AM

Hi. In the info window of an AAC-encoded track in itunes there is a category called "profile" and in the files I make with itunes it is set to "low complexity." Below it is the Stereo/mono setting info, and the encoder information. Anyone know what the complexity is, what it impacts, etc?

Thanks,
J.Melrose
( Last edited by jmelrose; Apr 30, 2003 at 01:20 PM. )

jmelrose  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 01:21 PM

No one knows?

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2003, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by jmelrose:
No one knows?
This blurb can be found in the iTunes Help:

From iTunes Help:
Variable Bit Rate Encoding (VBR): This setting varies the number of bits used to store the music depending on the complexity of the music. This can help keep file size to a minimum.
I guess Complexity is the quality of the sound, i.e if it's Mono-Voice it is not very complex, but if it is a high fidelity stereo surround sound Music Track it's very complex and needs a higher sample rate to catch it all.

HalBou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2003, 07:05 AM

In an article called "AAC : life beyond MP3" from Hi-Fi News October 2000 (I found it on the web but don't remember where), they explained that :

"The AAC codec provides for two processing
settings�Low-Complexity Profile (LCP) and Main Profile (MP)�both of which were tested. Main Profile produces superior results but as the instructions accompanying the AAC codec warn: �Please note that all known commercially available (or upcoming) IC implementations of AAC decoding support AAC Low-Complexity Profile only.�"

I hope it helps

Forum Links
Forum Rules