Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > GarageBand, all i need for my "garageband"

GarageBand, all i need for my "garageband"
O97Bassist
Jan 29, 2004, 10:06 PM

Hey Everyone!
I'm really starting to think about getting iLife for the updated iPhoto and now my interest in GarageBand is also growing. I have my own band (www.ordinance97.com) and am very interested in recording some of our new songs before we hit the studio this year. I was wondering if there is a way to record my all the members of my band into garageband to produce some tracks and do some post recording mixing and editing. I would need to record two guitars, bass, drums, and two vocal mics! Any ideas to help me start recording?
"If You Choose Not To Deciede Then You Still Have Made A Choice" - RUSH

iBook G4 800/640/60/COMBO

GreenHat09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2004, 10:12 PM

I am pretty sure you could do that. Almost postitive. Just make sure you have enough USB ports (assuming they use usb). You can always use a usb add on thing to get more. Thats my 2 cents though

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2004, 07:37 AM

I haven't heard a final verdict on how many tracks you can record simultaneously in GarageBand.

I *believe* the maximum is a single stereo track.

This presents an obstacle for recording drums, as you'd need to mix them down to stereo (using an external mixer) to record them, and you can't adjust individual mic levels on that submix afterwards (obviously).

You're also stuck with multi-session recording (recording each instrument in a separate take, one after the other, as opposed to just recording the basic tracks together, in a single take), which can be a problem if you're not very experienced in studio recording. Things can tend to get a little untight.

-s*

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2004, 09:28 AM

prev poster seems to be right.
you can record only one track at a time.
that's not a big deal...my old band used to do it that way on other software. not a real problem. drums were the only problem since you had to mix it as a stereo input coming from an external mixer..which isnt bad...you just cant adjust each piece later...as the prev poster said.
i've been using GB pretty extensively lately and I have to say it is one of the best programs i've ever used for music. sure it lacks some features...but for $49 (which gets you all the other great iApps as well) it just can not be beat. it would take very little to make GB the absolute app of choice for anyone making music. it is just so darn easy to use.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules