Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Who else is tired if waiting for there MBP with the 7200 rpm hd?

Who else is tired if waiting for there MBP with the 7200 rpm hd?
Golden Halo
Jun 24, 2007, 01:08 PM

This sucks!
Estimated delivery date: July 27th
15.4" Macbook Pro 2.2 Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD @ 7,200rpm. 20" iMac Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256 VRAM, 250 GB HD. Pro apps: Final Cut Studio, and Logic Pro 8.

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2007, 01:13 PM

That's why I didn't order one yet, along with several other reasons. I'm just going to wait for Leopard.

Ado
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2007, 09:22 PM

geese!
I never realised there was a 4-6 week wait in Australia?!
What BS is this..Im due to leave OS soon, i might have to finally swicth to pc laptop for this BS.

Robert Hicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2007, 02:41 PM

I checked yesterday and the shipping was showing 5-7 days. I checked again today and it said the same.
This is much better than the 4-6 weeks showing when I ordered the machine on the 15th. Hopefully that means it will arrive this week.

Ado
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2007, 09:45 PM

Hitachi has a new 200 gig 7200 rpm drive thats MBP compatible.
Item Info at OtherWorldComputing.com

I wonder if my macshop would add this in and take the standard drive with money off, like they do with the ram when you upgrade to 4gig.

dvenne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Hicks View Post
I checked yesterday and the shipping was showing 5-7 days. I checked again today and it said the same.
This is much better than the 4-6 weeks showing when I ordered the machine on the 15th. Hopefully that means it will arrive this week.
I just saw that too. I am really thinking about ordering one now with no wait time.

Ado
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 01:03 AM

I just got a schedule of my shipping and it will be in 2 weeks...Melbourne

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2007, 05:46 AM

If someone actually gets it I'd love to hear a comparison w/the 5200 rpms... and also I should check if they're in stock at the mac stores...

W

Ado
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2007, 12:22 AM

My friend at the shop told me Seagate will be releasing their 200 gig 7200 rpm drive with perpendicular technology that they license to everyone else including hitachi.

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2007, 05:53 AM

My 15" 2.4 with the 7,200 drive and 4 Gig RAM was scheduled to go out July 18 or sooner. It was just shipped today.

aehaas

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2007, 03:35 PM

I just got mine today. Its gorgeous. I'm very curious if anyone else is experiencing a fan hum that they can feel in their hands when typing and using the trackpad. It did not exist on my powerbook g4 and its already annoying me. Is this something I have to get used to or should I take it in for applecare?
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2007, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ado View Post
geese!
I never realised there was a 4-6 week wait in Australia?!
What BS is this..Im due to leave OS soon, i might have to finally swicth to pc laptop for this BS.
You're going to switch to a PC just because it takes a bit to receive a build-to-order Macbook? Go custom build a Dell or Alienware machine... it takes a couple weeks, too.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2007, 11:58 PM

I went to order one on the day they were released. Saw the 4-6 week estimate, said "No thanks, I'll just take the stock model," and went to a store and had it right away. Having been able to use it these last few weeks has been invaluable. I wanted the faster drive, but not that badly. Someday when I'm out of warranty maybe I'll replace it myself with something bigger, faster, and cheaper.

reemas
Senior User
Jun 29, 2007, 12:34 AM

aehaas

when did you place your order?

Ado
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2007, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
You're going to switch to a PC just because it takes a bit to receive a build-to-order Macbook? Go custom build a Dell or Alienware machine... it takes a couple weeks, too.
Where did I say i was gonna order a pc laptop from online?
Anyway for those whop care, I have been told the HD is also delayed for pc ppl too.

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2007, 10:07 AM

"aehaas
when did you place your order?"

I placed the order on the day of release and it should be here on Monday.

aehaas

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2007, 11:54 AM

They are shipping ahead of time. My estimated delivery date was july 18. But it showed up on the 28th of June.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

reemas
Senior User
Jun 29, 2007, 02:17 PM

did your orders go from "Not yet shipped" to Shipped? or was there a "sent to processing" or some type of intermediary step?

i'm just wondering if mine still hasn't even started.

Golden Halo  (op)
Jun 29, 2007, 07:06 PM

Mine came yesterday when it was scheduled to arrive on july 27th. Only complaint so far is the screen doesnt sit flush with the base when closed. The right side is a little higher then the right. Also when i open it, it pops open about an inch.
15.4" Macbook Pro 2.2 Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD @ 7,200rpm. 20" iMac Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256 VRAM, 250 GB HD. Pro apps: Final Cut Studio, and Logic Pro 8.

ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2007, 07:26 AM

Hi everyone,

I am definately going with a Hitachi or Seagate 200GB. With only a single drive serving as system disc, scratch disc and storage disc, I really wnt all the speed I can get. Too bad there wasn't a WD 10k rpm Raptor for laptops.

One big request. As your 2.4 Ghz beauties roll in, could you do the photoshop speed test and post it on this thread?

http://forums.macnn.com/65/mac-pro-a...configuration/

We don't have any latest generation MBP results yet. Please be sure to specify which drive you are using. Also, if you go for the cheapest Apple drive, then switch it out for a 7200 rpm speed-machine, could you do the test before and after. That way you and all of us can see just what a difference it makes.

Best and thanks,

nina

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2007, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Golden Halo View Post
Also when i open it, it pops open about an inch.
That's the way it's supposed to be. After a while the spring starts to lose some strength. By the time I've had a PB or MBP for a year, it hardly springs open at all. It's a pain to get my fingers in there and try to pry it open. Enjoy it while it lasts.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2007, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
One big request. As your 2.4 Ghz beauties roll in, could you do the photoshop speed test and post it on this thread?
I did the test. 2.4GHz MBP with 4GB RAM (although CS3 only supports up to 3GB, it seems.) With the stock drive (160GB, 5400rpm). I got 50 seconds.

ninahagen
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by KP* View Post
I did the test. 2.4GHz MBP with 4GB RAM (although CS3 only supports up to 3GB, it seems.) With the stock drive (160GB, 5400rpm). I got 50 seconds.
Hi KP, thanks... I will post these results over on the main thread. You must be happy with that... 50 seconds is damn fast... and chance you will upgrade to the Hitachi?

nina

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2007, 08:33 AM

I posted in that thread, I got 55 seconds on my MBP. My configuration is 2.4GHz, 2GB of ram and CS3 and of course the stock drive.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2007, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ninahagen View Post
Hi KP, thanks... I will post these results over on the main thread. You must be happy with that... 50 seconds is damn fast... and chance you will upgrade to the Hitachi?
Someday it might be nice, either for the speed alone, or more likely in the future to get a larger and faster drive, which will by then be cheaper. My biggest concern is that I don't feel it's necessary enough to void my warranty just for that. Also, I don't want to harm my battery life, although I hear there really isn't that big of a difference in power consumption.

MacHeadChef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2007, 11:38 PM

I was thinking about ordering a Macbook Pro, but I will just wait until Leopard is released.

simonnr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2007, 08:11 AM

I got mine today!!!
After 4 weeks of waiting!

Im in Sydney, Australia

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2007, 02:38 AM

ordered mine through a reseller. back on the 12th of June

still not here...

-- james